Old November 8, 2003, 05:16   #31
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 08:02
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
I must admit, I do see why the Mac Users hid out at Civ Macintosh and used it as their own OT forum...
We were trying to do you all a favor by keeping panag and Mr. Nice Guy distracted in an irrelevant forum, but ya'll had to follow your precious "rules" and now you've unleashed them upon the general OT populace. You reap what you sow...
Old November 8, 2003, 16:43   #32
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 05:02
I'm beginning to think Asher was right. Some of you guys are acting like blind devotees.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old November 8, 2003, 17:17   #33
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 14:02
Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
Quote:
I must admit, I do see why the Mac Users hid out at Civ Macintosh and used it as their own OT forum...
We were trying to do you all a favor by keeping panag and Mr. Nice Guy distracted in an irrelevant forum, but ya'll had to follow your precious "rules" and now you've unleashed them upon the general OT populace. You reap what you sow...
hi ,

have a nice apple day
Old November 8, 2003, 19:43   #34
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

Local Time: 06:02
Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
I'm beginning to think Asher was right. Some of you guys are acting like blind devotees.
Blind? You Mac bashers are the one's that are blind!

Just look at the ITMS and iPod market share and the revenue that it's generating. Just look at how successful the PowerMac G5 has been. The point: Apple is starting to do something right because IT IS catching on.

If you haven't heard already, Motorola is in the process of creating a spinoff company from their semiconductor line-of-business. I think that because of this act by Motorola and because of IBM's PowerPC 9x0 being used in Apple's prosumer computers, the PowerPC Roadmap will be much much stronger in the near future, as Steve Jobs stated early in the Q&A session of the Conference Call.

Before you know it, Apple will be the fastest growing computer maker in the world! And that's something to talk about. <--- Thou shalt not laugh at this statement. If you do, you will be laughed back at when this happens.
"And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17

Last edited by Mr. Nice Guy; November 8, 2003 at 21:57.
Old November 8, 2003, 23:37   #35
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 07:02
Quote:
Right back at every company in the tech industry and their CEOs!
eh?

Quote:
Just look at the ITMS and iPod market share and the revenue that it's generating. Just look at how successful the PowerMac G5 has been. The point: Apple is starting to do something right because IT IS catching on.
apple has said that it makes no profit on ITMS.

Quote:
If you haven't heard already, Motorola is in the process of creating a spinoff company from their semiconductor line-of-business. I think that because of this act by Motorola and because of IBM's PowerPC 9x0 being used in Apple's prosumer computers, the PowerPC Roadmap will be much much stronger in the near future, as Steve Jobs stated early in the Q&A session of the Conference Call.
motorola's spinning it off 'cause motorola's sucked for years. go ibm!

Quote:
Before you know it, Apple will be the fastest growing computer maker in the world! And that's something to talk about. <--- Thou shalt not laugh at this statement. If you do, you will be laughed back at when this happens.
hasn't linux already surpassed mac? oh, and you'll never start growing unless you cut prices (like with that emac... good move) and really sweeten the deal for schools again.
Old November 8, 2003, 23:40   #36
Q Classic
Emperor

as a matter of record, i have no problem with macs. i love powermacs and the tibooks.

on the other hand, i really really really really really really really despise imacs and the emacs computer (i like emacs the editor).

apple's just too expensive for me right now. probably will be for a good long while. and i really hate the fact that i can't just buy the os and then cobble together my own machine.

for apple to gain marketshare, it not only has to appeal to some developers (nice with the bsd chassis), but it should also appeal to gearheads. bring back apple clones.
Old November 8, 2003, 23:43   #37
MOBIUS
Emperor

Local Time: 22:02
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Nice Guy
I must say the iPod is way cool!

Nooo! Don't hate me, it is true...

Quote:
Well, going from zero sales and selling one machine would be an infinite growth...
Old November 8, 2003, 23:46   #38
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 12:02
I've noticed that Apple zealots are a lot like Mormon zealots.
Isn't that interesting?
Old November 9, 2003, 00:05   #39
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

I never "got" why anyone would use a Mac. They're slower. They're more expensive. They have much less software and games available for them. You can't twiddle around with the hardware as much as you could a PC nor could you build one from scratch. Etc, etc...

And if Mr Nice Guy is any indication, they have subliminal messages that turn you into blind Apple worshippers
Old November 9, 2003, 00:06   #40
Q Classic
Emperor

yeah, except apple zealots don't have a penchant of realizing when they've got something not quite right and fixing it.

at least mormons stopped their polygamist stuff. macheads still think jthat apple is god's gift to man, and that jobs is the font of all innovation and creativity in the modern digital world.
Old November 9, 2003, 01:11   #41
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Q Cubed

apple has said that it makes no profit on ITMS.
I already knew that, but it does generate more iPod sales, which is profitable.

Quote:
motorola's spinning it off 'cause motorola's sucked for years.
Exactly.

Quote:
go ibm!
Apple stated shortly after WWDC 2003 that Motorola was still important to them; I know there is a story about this on Macrumors.com, but I couldn't find it. With that in mind, we should expect a stronger G4 roadmap for Apple because the spinoff company will be dedicating it's entire R&D to semiconductor technology, also in all likelihood Apple will invest in the new company just as they've been investing in Motorola.

Quote:
hasn't linux already surpassed mac? oh, and you'll never start growing unless you cut prices (like with that emac... good move) and really sweeten the deal for schools again.
Umm, hello. Haven't you noticed that Apple has already been doing this in recent months? Did you listen to the conference call? In it, Apple execs talked a lot about what they've been doing for the schools. And in all likelihood, I think we can expect see more price cuts from Apple in the future.
"And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17
Old November 9, 2003, 01:15   #42
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 08:02
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Nice Guy
Mac Bashers = Ignorance
Mr. Nice Guy = Wrong

Old November 9, 2003, 02:14   #43
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Quote:
Originally posted by Q Cubed
at least mormons stopped their polygamist stuff. macheads still think jthat apple is god's gift to man, and that jobs is the font of all innovation and creativity in the modern digital world.
This is true.
And the Mormon Church preaches "tolerance" (in that you shouldn't go crazy if a Hindu comes into town ).

Does this make the Mormon Church even above the Holy Church of Jobbs?
Old November 9, 2003, 04:20   #44
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 20:02
It was said that Jobs has a reality distortion field.
Old November 9, 2003, 07:19   #45
Paul Hanson
King

Local Time: 13:02
The level of sheer vitriol some of you seem to have for Macs amazes me. Are they really that bad that you feel a need to pester every Mac user you can find until they finally succumb and buy a PC?

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.
Old November 9, 2003, 07:21   #46
Nubclear

YesS it COonSumes My LFIE!
Old November 9, 2003, 07:26   #47
Paul Hanson
King

Local Time: 13:02

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.
Old November 9, 2003, 07:51   #48
Nubclear

in other news...Microsoft just made their chat service ( chat.msn.com ) subscription based. $19.95 per year, they claim it's to protect you from spam.
But thats a really poor excuse So expect more OTF threads from me
Old November 9, 2003, 08:03   #49
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 15:02
Apple is cool and my sweaty feet smells like roses.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old November 9, 2003, 10:12   #50
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker

Mr. Nice Guy = Wrong

Mr. Nice Guy = No More Mr. Nice Guy

Old November 9, 2003, 10:52   #51
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 14:02
$19.95 a year? per person? that sounds like a nice idea....
Old November 9, 2003, 10:57   #52
The Mad Monk
Emperor

I think they completely missed the boat in regard to computers and television.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old November 9, 2003, 12:34   #53
Q Classic
Emperor

Quote:
Apple stated shortly after WWDC 2003 that Motorola was still important to them; I know there is a story about this on Macrumors.com, but I couldn't find it. With that in mind, we should expect a stronger G4 roadmap for Apple because the spinoff company will be dedicating it's entire R&D to semiconductor technology, also in all likelihood Apple will invest in the new company just as they've been investing in Motorola.
motorola still sucks.
go ibm!

Quote:
Umm, hello. Haven't you noticed that Apple has already been doing this in recent months? Did you listen to the conference call? In it, Apple execs talked a lot about what they've been doing for the schools. And in all likelihood, I think we can expect see more price cuts from Apple in the future.
yes, but you really need to sweeten the deal. microsoft makes deployment of windows xp and office 2000 and above so cheap and appealing that schools, with their budgets shrinking, are jumping for joy. mac's going a long way there, but it's got a long road ahead of it is all i'm saying.

'course, i guess just pointing out that all is not rosy for mac is like saying everything the us does isn't wonderful... or in other words, puts me up against, rabid fundies who believe only their party line.

Quote:
The level of sheer vitriol some of you seem to have for Macs amazes me. Are they really that bad that you feel a need to pester every Mac user you can find until they finally succumb and buy a PC?
i have no vitriol against real macs. imacs, emacs, and candy macs offend my sensibilities.
as for macheads... i like most of 'em. i date one. my only problem is with the ones who repeatedly bash windows, saying that apple will come to dominate the world... they're like the man-hating feminazis.

Quote:
I think they completely missed the boat in regard to computers and television.
i think so too. the people who will be watching tv on a computer are a vast minority, pretty much only space-conscious people in dorm rooms. microsoft media center's ahead of them, as are numerous monitor makers, like samsung and sharp.
on the other hand, if apple continues what it looks to be doing (i.e., moving away from computers and into consumer electronics), it'll face stiff competition from the likes of gateway and dell, who are doing the same thing.