Old November 2, 2003, 00:58   #1
Primative1
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:03
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Getting stuffed
Ok - I have been playing the Soopa Apol modded game for a few days now and am feeling pretty frustrated. I started off on 'easy', not having played for a while & reading that the levels were now harder. I was so far ahead by 300ad that I got bored and decided to move up to medium difficulty. After 4 starts I am peeved - the AI shoot thru the tech tree at a maniac rate and I have ended up being attacked from all sides continually by just about every AI civ I meet. I cant get any treaties going, they just march around my territory in 12 stacks for a while and then attack. I cant advance at all as I have to continually pour out (outdated & outclassed) units just to prolong the agony.

I'm certainly no tactical genius but I have played several Civ, as well as other strategy games, previously and dont consider myself a total inadequate - just seems as tho there is at least one difficulty level missing between easy & medium. It just seems to be impossible to compete in terms of research and production - and i'm one of those bores who likes to build rather than fight, at least initially. I'm playing a gigantic map with 14 AI Civ's. Am I just crap? (waits for abuse)

Last edited by Primative1; November 2, 2003 at 01:18.
Old November 2, 2003, 11:48   #2
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 14:03
Quote:
Originally posted by Primative1
they just march around my territory in 12 stacks for a while and then attack.
Stacks of 12 units? You are sure you play CTP1?

-Martin
Old November 2, 2003, 14:36   #3
Primative1
Chieftain

CRAP! I must stop drinking so much - should be a CTP2 thread, sorry.
Old November 7, 2003, 03:07   #4
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

*bump*

Sorry, seem to have missed this thread. Moved it to the correct forum, feel free to continue the discussion.
Old November 7, 2003, 12:01   #5
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
Sorry, seem to have missed this thread. Moved it to the correct forum, feel free to continue the discussion.
Maybe I should feel free to start the discussion.

There are some you might call them dirty tricks in CTP2 you can use against the AI. One trick is to max out all the sliders. Your citiciens are also happy if they starve and are underpayed and work hard. Well if aren't so much happy give them one entertainer and they feel better. Also a good idea is to start on an island alone, if you want have it easy. But this could be a little bit too easy.

You can also threat the AI with war to get peace treaties. If you aren't at war and you are stronger, but it does work on the turn you met them.

-Martin
Old November 7, 2003, 15:55   #6
Primative1
Chieftain

Thanks for the tips Martin. I started the game again and got lucky, started on an island alone with enough space for 8-9 cities. Its now around 1000 ad and having beaten the English to a pulp (i'm the Celts so it's apt) and conquering a load of their cities i'm now in the top three.
Old November 7, 2003, 15:57   #7
Primative1
Chieftain

ps Thanks for the move Locutus.
Old November 7, 2003, 16:53   #8
Primative1
Chieftain

Anyone know why I cant kick stealth units out of my territory? I just get the stop sign - only alternative is to kill them and go to war.
Old November 7, 2003, 17:49   #9
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

You sure you have enough movement points? You need at least 1 MP to be able to expell a unit.
Old November 7, 2003, 18:08   #10
Primative1
Chieftain

Yep on the movement points Loc. I tried with 2 units both of which hadn't moved that turn.

I just signed a ceasfire with the guy and want to switch to Democracy so I dont want to kill the bugger.

How do I do the 'quote' box?
Old November 7, 2003, 18:39   #11
Primative1
Chieftain

Just worked out the quote box.
Old November 16, 2003, 16:20   #12
Mooner
Settler

Quote:
Ok - I have been playing the Soopa Apol modded game for a few days now and am feeling pretty frustrated. I started off on 'easy', not having played for a while & reading that the levels were now harder. I was so far ahead by 300ad that I got bored and decided to move up to medium difficulty. After 4 starts I am peeved - the AI shoot thru the tech tree at a maniac rate and I have ended up being attacked from all sides continually by just about every AI civ I meet. I cant get any treaties going, they just march around my territory in 12 stacks for a while and then attack. I cant advance at all as I have to continually pour out (outdated & outclassed) units just to prolong the agony.
Sweet...I'm glad I'm not the only person who blew the dust of the old CD, clipped on the SAP mod and promptly got his rear handed to him. Having a blast anyway. Relearning how to play is itself a good time.