Old November 7, 2003, 04:13   #1
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:03
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Big Trouble in Little Roma
Finally clawed my way to Republic and have the govt switched. Quite a few of the good guys with silly hats ready to open the big can-o-whoopass on the Hittites. Great!

What's this? Net income of 5gpt with 0 tax and 10% slider? Rooh-ohh, better check out why. Well, Scoobie, it appears that each unit over 1 per town is costing me 2gpt.

The Civilopaedia says it should be 1gpt per trooper. Is this a bug?

notyoueither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2003, 04:30   #2
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 14:03
I think that was changed in C3C I rembember reading that republic should now have 2 gc unit support cost.
Old November 7, 2003, 04:43   #3
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

You killed Republic. You bastards!
Old November 7, 2003, 04:45   #4
notyoueither
Deity

[/Kyle voice]
Old November 7, 2003, 05:08   #5
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 14:03
Yep, Republic is now really a peace-time government. Unless you have a very serious economy, you aren't going to conquer the world under Republic
I've read Democracy only requires 1gpt per unit though.
Spiffor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2003, 05:41   #6
notyoueither
Deity

Well damn. There goes that world crushing strategy. I had it down to almost an art. I could play Republic for the entire game at war and never feel serious war weariness unless something really unexpected happened.

Last game I played I rushed every single Medieval wonder while taking the oppo down one piece of skin at a time, and was ahead by 4 or 5 techs going into the Industrial Age.

Between this and MGLs not rushing Great Wonders, they've really gutted the war mongers.
Old November 7, 2003, 07:17   #7
grappleman
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:03
yeah finally the Republic dominance has fallen, and now communism is actually playable. very strange as you would expect communism to be useless and republic to be all dominant. Finally there will be some variation in the game. Hooray!
Old November 7, 2003, 07:30   #8
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 07:03
Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Between this and MGLs not rushing Great Wonders, they've really gutted the war mongers.
Not really, they just changed them.

The new Armies make warmongering easier as do the changes to Communism and the addition of Feudalism and Fascism.

You just can't use the old cheap strategy of expecting an ancient era government to be the best under all circumstances.
Old November 7, 2003, 07:55   #9
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 00:03
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Well damn. There goes that world crushing strategy. I had it down to almost an art. I could play Republic for the entire game at war and never feel serious war weariness unless something really unexpected happened.

Last game I played I rushed every single Medieval wonder while taking the oppo down one piece of skin at a time, and was ahead by 4 or 5 techs going into the Industrial Age.

MWAHAHAHAHA!! Looks like old strat cats need to learn some new tricks?

Seriously though, having just got the whole Republic = government for everything thing done in PtW, I am anxious about changing my ways too.

How does the AI respond now? Do they just go Demo where they can and Communism if they can't still, or are they flexible too?

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
MrWhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2003, 08:14   #10
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 13:03
Quote:
The new Armies make warmongering easier as do the changes to Communism and the addition of Feudalism and Fascism.
Feudalism doesn't seem like a warmonger's governement. War Weariness and 3gpt for every unit over the limit. Ouch.
Old November 7, 2003, 09:21   #11
Stuie
King

Local Time: 08:03
I actually waited, switched to Feudalism (just to play with it... Monarchy may have worked better) and then switched to Republic once Navigation was researched and I could fill up the happy faces in the Marketplace with luxuries.

Now I'm cruising along just fine with Republic. I don't forsee any need to switch again; it wasn't nerfed that bad.
Stuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2003, 09:52   #12
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Republic does get free unit support: 1/3/4, right?

There is a big jump there when you start getting cities over size 6. That's the key. A few of those, and it can still work.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Arrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2003, 09:59   #13
Stuie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
Republic does get free unit support: 1/3/4, right?

There is a big jump there when you start getting cities over size 6. That's the key. A few of those, and it can still work.

-Arrian
Yes, and that makes all the difference; you just need to time your switch more carefully.
Stuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2003, 10:00   #14
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 05:03
What bothers me still is the anarchy between government changes for non-religious civs. I haven't played a religious civ yet, so I don't know if their's is still a one-turn thing, but I was hoping for a narrowing of the difference.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Jaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2003, 10:05   #15
Chieftess
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Chieftess

Religous civs have a max of 2 turns now. Also, I've seen the AI choose Fuedalism when at war in the middle ages, and facism in the industrial era when at war (then switch to democracy - sometimes - when at peace).
Chieftess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2003, 18:43   #16
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 07:03
Quote:
Originally posted by Saint Marcus
Feudalism doesn't seem like a warmonger's governement. War Weariness and 3gpt for every unit over the limit. Ouch.
The unit limit isn't an issue if you've been playing an ICS strategy. Think about it, 20 small towns support 100 units for free. WW the same a Republic which nobody thought was that bad. In additon, since you can't rush with gold you probably have cash. In a lot of ways, Monarchy is better, but this is quite usable.