Old November 7, 2003, 13:11   #1
Alexander I
staff
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization IV CreatorsCivilization IV: MultiplayerPolyCast Team

Local Time: 06:04
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Civ3 Conquests' Missing Civ!
As I looked at the new features in Civilization 3's latest expansion, something came to my attention. Perhaps this has already been addressed, I don't know.

But I noticed that while Play the World provided 8 new civilizations, Conquests only provided 7, for a grand total of 31 for the whole game.

Why not a 32nd civilization? Why didn't they create an 8th civ for Conquests? Or did they originally have one in mind and then decide not to put it in at the last moment?

So the questions I'm proposing are:

Was there a 32nd civ or not?
If there was, what was it?
It there was not, what should it be?

Personally, I feel that the Assyrians would make a good civ. If they had originally planned on Assyria, it would make sense that they dropped them, having Babylon, Persia, Hatti, and Sumer already. Perhaps they wouldn't want to have three Mesopotamian civs in an expansion.

I don't know? What are your thoughts? Has anyone from Firaxis, Infogrames, or Atari ever made a statement on the lack of an 8th civ. in Conquests?
The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Last edited by Alexander I; November 7, 2003 at 13:18.
Alexander I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2003, 13:15   #2
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 14:04
Quote:
Was there a 32nd civ or not?
If there was, what was it?
It there was not, what should it be?
There is. The 32th civ are the barbarians.
alva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2003, 13:18   #3
Brundlefly
Prince

Local Time: 08:04
Apparantly Austria was developed as an 8th c3c civ and appears on c3c disk but is not part of the c3c presentation. Some think it is an Easter Egg, some say you have to delete another civ to make Austria appear. By now someone should have posted the leaderhead...
Brundlefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2003, 13:20   #4
Alexander I
staff
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization IV CreatorsCivilization IV: MultiplayerPolyCast Team

Austria? Interesting. So why weren't they included. Hmm. And who would the leader be? Empress Maria Theresa? Emperor Franz Josef?

Give us AUSTRIA!
The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report
Old November 7, 2003, 13:37   #5
Stuie
King

32 is the limit without redoing the game engine. And as stated before, the Barbarians are #32.
Stuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2003, 13:38   #6
Brundlefly
Prince

Charles V. Check this thread

for more info.
Old November 7, 2003, 13:40   #7
Alexander I
staff

Oh, and WHY did they choose to limit the game to 31 civs and put Austria in the files to taunt us? Why can we not simply add Austria?

The Barbarians are 32? They actually occupy a whole civ's slot? That's ... interesting.

Charles V, though. Good choice.
Old November 7, 2003, 14:04   #8
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Some civs will be in special scenarios only. Who knows why they picked 32, other than it is a nice even multiple of 2.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2003, 14:18   #9
Brundlefly
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander01
Oh, and WHY did they choose to limit the game to 31 civs and put Austria in the files to taunt us? Why can we not simply add Austria?
Play around with the editor. I'm sure there is a way to add Austria by removing another civ.
Old November 7, 2003, 14:23   #10
Alexander I
staff

Of course you can add it by removing another civ. My personal choice would be to remove Iroquois. (Seriously , I hate affirmative action civs.)

But my personal preference would not be to remove another civ for it. I would hope that there could be a way to add Austria without losing another civ as a result.
Old November 7, 2003, 14:37   #11
Alexander I
staff

Of course, this thread would be incomplete without the inclusion of a picture of the fabulous Austrian leaderhead throughout time.

So here he is, in all his splendor:

Charles I/V of the Austrian/Spanish/Hapsburg Empire
Karl V of the Holy Roman Empire/Austria
Carlos I of Spain
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	charles.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	56803  
Old November 7, 2003, 14:39   #12
Alexander I
staff

Whoops! I forgot to mention... is there an Austrian UU?
If so, what is it? Does anyone have a picture of it?
Old November 7, 2003, 14:43   #13
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 07:04
yes, i believe they have a cavalry UU. the game is hardcoded to 31 civs for memory purposes, and they simply could nto add a 32nd civ into the default game without major changes to the code itself. it's not like they just wrote the number 31 down and can change it easily.
Old November 7, 2003, 14:47   #14
Alexander I
staff

Cavalry, eh?

What sort of cavalry unit would the Austrian/Hapsburg empire have?

Does anyone know what it's called? Any picture?
Old November 7, 2003, 15:03   #15
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

I believe it's the Hussar, as shown in this pic:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	hussar.png
Views:	430
Size:	3.8 KB
ID:	56807  
ixnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2003, 15:11   #16
Brundlefly
Prince

Quote:
Cavalry, eh?

What sort of cavalry unit would the Austrian/Hapsburg empire have?

Does anyone know what it's called? Any picture?
Yep. Here it is, the Austrian UU:

Old November 7, 2003, 15:12   #17
Alexander I
staff

Wonderful! Thank you very much.

So now, we've got:

Civilization: Austria
Leader: Charles V
Unique Unit: Hussar
Capital: Vienna (I'm assuming)

Traits: ???

Anybody know what the two Austrian civilization traits are?

(Industrious, Militaristic, Religious, Scientific, Commercial, Expansionistic, Agricultural, Seafaring)
Old November 7, 2003, 16:26   #18
Louis XXIV
C4WDG Stratega
Prince

Militaristic, Industrious

The Hussar is 7.3.3 no extra cost
Old November 7, 2003, 16:47   #19
Alexander I
staff

Excellent!

Poor Austria! The Civ that Sid Forgot!

I imagine they'd be quite interesting to play.

I wonder why the makers made them in the first place, if they weren't going to use them. perhaps it had been an idea by one of the crew, but they weren't able to use it, so they stuck the vestige in anyway, so that if anyone wanted to, they could use the pieces.

By the way, what does the Hussar replace, Dragoon? Cavalry?
Old November 7, 2003, 20:27   #20
Louis XXIV
C4WDG Stratega
Prince

There is no Dragoon in the main game.
Old November 8, 2003, 11:23   #21
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 00:04
Local Date: November 3, 2010
The Hussar replaces the Cavalry for Austria.

Honestly, it should be pretty easy to put Austria in - just go to the editor and edit whatever the Conquests .bix file is to remove one civ and put in Austria. That should be all you need to do, as Austria is all ready to roll, it just needs you to deal with the hardcoded limit of 32 civs by removing one. Save the .bix file with a different name (one ou can remember), then load that bix file as a scenario and you should get a random map exactly the same as normal Epic Game, just with the civ changes you have made.

Although I haven't tried this for myself (no C3C for another week) it has been this easy altering things (for example changing the number of civs on certain sized maps) for PtW.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
MrWhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2003, 12:36   #22
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

As I recall, they had already done the letterhead artwork for Austria and the other seven new civs when they remembered the 32 civ [including barbs as #32 limit.]

Since Austria duplicates China's traights, it was on the short-list that could be dropped. (All the new Seafaring and Agr civs had to stay to prevent holes, and they couldn't very well drop a preexisting civ.)
joncnunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2003, 12:40   #23
Plotinus
Prince

Local Time: 13:04
I have to say I was surprised at some of the choices here - I mean, do we really need Austria when we have Germany? Do we really need Portugal when we have Spain? No, we don't, especially given how over-populated the European culture group is already. I would have dropped Portugal, and also dropped the Byzantines, since although they are great they are the same civ as the Romans. I'd have put in the Assyrians, who absolutely rocked, although as Alexander1 says there might be rather a lot of ancient Middle Eastern ones already. They would have been better than the Hittites, in my opinion. Personally, I'd have liked to see another African kingdom make it - Ghana, perhaps, or Mali, or perhaps the Ethiopians.
Plotinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2003, 15:26   #24
Faboba
King

Local Time: 12:04
Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
Quote:
Of course, this thread would be incomplete without the inclusion of a picture of the fabulous Austrian leaderhead throughout time.

So here he is, in all his splendor:

Charles I/V of the Austrian/Spanish/Hapsburg Empire
Karl V of the Holy Roman Empire/Austria
Carlos I of Spain
I may just have to make him Cassimir the Great too. ( Poland is less restrictive to Germany and more restrictive to Russia than Austria on a Real World Map )
Old November 8, 2003, 16:18   #25
Brent
Prince

Local Time: 04:04
Feephi: That's not the Austrian unique unit. That's the leaderhead for the Californian civilization.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2003, 09:38   #26
Alexander I
staff

Well, the Austrians may not be particularly stellar, and there might be a bit of a redundancy with Germany, but I'd still take them over the Iroquois any day.
Old November 10, 2003, 13:08   #27
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 14:04
Is there a city list for Austria somewhere? Not that I wouldn't already have made one...
Old November 10, 2003, 13:47   #28
Ckibler
BreakAway Games

Quote:
Originally posted by Uber KruX
yes, i believe they have a cavalry UU. the game is hardcoded to 31 civs for memory purposes, and they simply could nto add a 32nd civ into the default game without major changes to the code itself. it's not like they just wrote the number 31 down and can change it easily.
Spot on!
Ckibler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2003, 13:52   #29
Ckibler
BreakAway Games

Quote:
Originally posted by Wernazuma III
Is there a city list for Austria somewhere? Not that I wouldn't already have made one...
Yes. Open up the "Napoleonic Europe" Conquest, and access the Austria civilization.
Ckibler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2003, 14:12   #30
Alexander I
staff

Excellent! So do they use the Austria setup that was previously made, or is it simply superimposed on top of another civilization?

In other words, is the Austria civ in the scenario really Austria, or is it another civ renamed as Austria?