Old November 10, 2003, 14:24   #31
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 08:04
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander01
Excellent! So do they use the Austria setup that was previously made, or is it simply superimposed on top of another civilization?

In other words, is the Austria civ in the scenario really Austria, or is it another civ renamed as Austria?
It's it's own real civ.

The civs for Conquests were picked based upon what would be useful/necessary in the actual Conquest scenarios. That's why you find civs like Portugal, Netherlands, Austria, etc. and not more "diverse" civs like from Africa and such.
Jon Shafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2003, 14:27   #32
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 06:04
Quote:
Excellent! So do they use the Austria setup that was previously made, or is it simply superimposed on top of another civilization?

In other words, is the Austria civ in the scenario really Austria, or is it another civ renamed as Austria?
There are only 12 civs in Napoleonic Europe.
kring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2003, 14:36   #33
Alexander I
staff
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization IV CreatorsCivilization IV: MultiplayerPolyCast Team

So they use the Austrian civ they made in the Napoleon scenario? The bonafide Austrian civ?
The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report
Alexander I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2003, 15:04   #34
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 14:04
Quote:
Originally posted by Ckibler

Yes. Open up the "Napoleonic Europe" Conquest, and access the Austria civilization.
I live in Europe. I won't get C3C before ~Nov. 16th and I'm curious.
Old November 10, 2003, 15:21   #35
G'Kar
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Quote:
Of course you can add it by removing another civ. My personal choice would be to remove Iroquois. (Seriously , I hate affirmative action civs.)
That's your judgement, which is not much.

How can anyone try to assess the "value" of a civilization whithout experiencing and understanding all civilizations?

There is great worth in civilizations that devoted themselves not to brick and mortar accomplishments but to spiritual and emotional growth.

After all, we are on this planet for only a short while, but we are spiritual beings for much longer; thus spirituality is a much wiser investment.
G'Kar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2003, 15:24   #36
G'Kar
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Plotinus
Personally, I'd have liked to see another African kingdom make it - Ghana, perhaps, or Mali, or perhaps the Ethiopians.
That would be great.
G'Kar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2003, 15:46   #37
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ckibler
Yes. Open up the "Napoleonic Europe" Conquest, and access the Austria civilization.
Charlie!

Where's your custom-tailored, underlined status tag? Did you sneak in unnoticed?

Spore page
vovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2003, 15:47   #38
Alexander I
staff
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization IV CreatorsCivilization IV: MultiplayerPolyCast Team

Quote:
Originally posted by G'Kar

How can anyone try to assess the "value" of a civilization whithout experiencing and understanding all civilizations?

There is great worth in civilizations that devoted themselves not to brick and mortar accomplishments but to spiritual and emotional growth.

After all, we are on this planet for only a short while, but we are spiritual beings for much longer; thus spirituality is a much wiser investment.
To each his own, I suppose. However, in games like Civilization 3, the civilizations are more involved in "brick and mortar accomplishments" than "spiritual and emotional growth." It's difficult to render such concepts in the more concrete structure of Civilization 3.

I would not object to the Iroquois if a more accurate rendering of their civilization were possible. You see, the Iroquois were not prone to building Wonders of the World for example. If there were a way to represent the more "tribal" cultures accurately, I'd be all for it. It just doesn't sit right with me to put the Iroquois to building Colosseums like Rome.

They should be focusing on "spiritual and emotional growth" to quote G'Kar again, an aspect which is not present to a great degree in Civ3.

Even the spiritual/religious aspects of the game, like Temples and Cathedrals, are "brick and mortar accomplishments."
The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report
Old November 10, 2003, 15:59   #39
Ckibler
BreakAway Games

Local Time: 12:04
Quote:

Yes, I guess Austria is really Austria.
Ckibler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2003, 16:01   #40
Alexander I
staff

Wonderful! So at least our Austrian cousins aren't totally banished from the world of Civ3. They have their spotlight in the Napoleon scenario! Bravo!
Old November 10, 2003, 16:03   #41
Admiral PJ
PtWDG Lux Invicta
Prince

Alexander dosen't seem to understand about civilisation and history.. maybe he was taught a biased history in German schools, perhaps he simply likes war games.. as many of us do.

The iroquois can build wonders as much as any other civilisation like America or Germany, Egypt.. like all civilisations , they start as tribes and become civilisations when they begin trading and work together to make peaceful cities and develop tools and technologies.. farming, hunting etc.

All people are the same, it is only an artificial cultural difference in education and religion etc that create different civilisation states. Humans are one species.

Later wonders and great science and religions were born , race does not much affect these.

I think there should be another north american civ.. the Sioux were fun, or Inuit even.

I would prefer to see American civ coming later from a revolution of English/German colonies. I see them as a tribal native american civ early on .. as there were no americans truly , until about 1600.
Admiral PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2003, 16:23   #42
Alexander I
staff

Can't we all just get along?
Quote:
Originally posted by Admiral PJ
Alexander dosen't seem to understand about civilisation and history.. maybe he was taught a biased history in German schools, perhaps he simply likes war games.. as many of us do.

The Iroquois can build wonders as much as any other civilisation like America or Germany, Egypt.. like all civilisations , they start as tribes and become civilisations when they begin trading and work together to make peaceful cities and develop tools and technologies.. farming, hunting etc.

All people are the same, it is only an artificial cultural difference in education and religion etc that create different civilisation states. Humans are one species.

Later wonders and great science and religions were born , race does not much affect these.

I think there should be another north american civ.. the Sioux were fun, or Inuit even.

I would prefer to see American civ coming later from a revolution of English/German colonies. I see them as a tribal native american civ early on .. as there were no americans truly , until about 1600.
Whoa there, Tiger!

I didn't mean to imply that any one race or civilization is better than any other. We are all diverse, unique, and of equal worth. Human life and rights are of paramount importance.

By the way, I find your remark about "biased history in German schools" to be rather insulting. I'll have you know that I'm more English than anything else. I'm first-generation American, from English & German immigrants.

And yes, I do think it a little bit silly to have an American civ at 4000 B.C. piddling around in the Bronze Age!

The point is, what makes a civilization qualify for Civilization 3? I would venture to say it can be for a number of factors, including:

Size
Cultural Contribution
Longevity

That includes the "big" civs. like England, Rome, etc.

But I'm sure Civ's makers didn't want to overlook other areas of the world's population. The North American natives are a significant and important cultural group, but did not achieve "the wonders" of some of their neighbors (i.e. written history, etc.). They were not to be excluded, but obviously a silly conglomerate like CtP's "Native Americans" was not the right option. Thus, the Iroqouis with their confederacy of tribes, are included in Civ3.

They didn't have a great empire, like Rome, or build magnificent Pyramids, like Egypt, or create a society that has lasted in one form or another for over a thousand years, like the English. But they represent a significant group of the world's inhabitants.
Old November 10, 2003, 21:49   #43
pikesfan
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

If I were going to make Civ 4, for all those people who complain that this or that civilization in the game I would add five new civilizations:

The Andorrans
The Sanmarinese
The Liechtensteiners
The Monégasques and
The Vaticanese
pikesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2003, 21:49   #44
pikesfan
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

If I were going to make Civ 4, for all those people who complain that this or that civilization doesn’t belong in the game I would add five new civilizations:

The Andorrans
The Sanmarinese
The Liechtensteiners
The Monégasques and
The Vaticanese
pikesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2003, 14:31   #45
Alexander I
staff

Haha!

Now that would certainly make things interesting, wouldn't it?
Old November 11, 2003, 14:32   #46
Novaya Havoc
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:04
!!! You forgot the Luxembourgers!!!
Old November 11, 2003, 14:51   #47
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 14:04
And the Färöerians, Tuvaluans, St.Kitts-and-Nevisians...
Old November 11, 2003, 18:08   #48
Brent
Prince

Local Time: 04:04
hmm, I wonder... would the Vaticanese be Religious?? heehee...
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2003, 11:38   #49
Brundlefly
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by pikesfan
If I were going to make Civ 4, for all those people who complain that this or that civilization doesn’t belong in the game I would add five new civilizations:

The Andorrans
The Sanmarinese
The Liechtensteiners
The Monégasques and
The Vaticanese
Don't forget the Amish...
Brundlefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2003, 14:09   #50
Alexander I
staff

Yes, we MUSTN'T Forget the Amish...

And Civ4 had better have Chad in it too. Yes, the Saharan nation of Chad!
Old November 17, 2003, 14:52   #51
pauli
Prince

the sealanders!

(and petoria)
Old November 17, 2003, 14:56   #52
Alexander I
staff

And the Zeelanders (a branch of the Dutch)!

And the New Zealanders!

And the Maoris (a separate civ from the afore mentioned New Zealanders)!
Old November 17, 2003, 15:21   #53
NaZ
Settler

Dont forget the Antarticans, the Inuits, the Brazilians, the Polyneasians, the list goes on and on!
NaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2003, 15:46   #54
Brundlefly
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by NaZ
Dont forget the Antarticans,
A race of penguins?
Old November 17, 2003, 16:09   #55
Faboba
King

Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
Why has no one said 'And the Iraquis' yet?

Seriously though... you would have a hard time arguing there isn't a ominously large cultural overlap between Germany and Austria. Am I the only one who disagrees with Bismarck and cohorts over the whole Kleindeutsch/grossedeutsch thing?
Old November 17, 2003, 17:23   #56
Sinapus
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Faboba
Why has no one said 'And the Iraquis' yet?
Um... because the Babylonians are already there?
Old November 17, 2003, 18:15   #57
Alexander I
staff

No, no!

The modern Iraqis are of a different gene-stock than the ancient Babylonians, and thus, they deserve their own civ-slot as well!
Old November 18, 2003, 03:26   #58
NaZ
Settler

Not penguins, just... colonists (with penguin warriors as a UU)
Old November 18, 2003, 03:27   #59
NaZ
Settler

The Iraqis are semi-included as the Babyloanians and the Arabs so the ME would be too cramped!
Old November 18, 2003, 11:27   #60
Brundlefly
Prince

Does anyone know if a modified conquests .biq exists that contains Austria?? There is no biq shipped with the game that contains Austria (except for scenarios). Someone needs to make one...I am too lazy to do it..