Old May 11, 2000, 10:46   #121
Crustacian
Prince

Local Time: 15:02
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Thx Curumbor for the reminder. So since i knew this very well why was my mind locked into 150 gold?? Must be greed or else force of habit from playing RH barbs. No it was that these barbs acted like RH's!! Sure glad I didn't invest too heavily in the barb gold market. After cashing in my first instalment of 50 it was on to bigger things
But it is nice to have things straight on the barb thing.

Regarding Milo's commodity market delima, he thinks it is more than just the natural change in demand. But am sure he will explain.

------------------
The journey itself is the thing~Odysseus
Old May 11, 2000, 18:58   #122
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 18:02
KenThur - I'm sorry to hear that you have to leave CivII play, though I understand (and accept) your reasons entirely. That's one reason I play only 1 continuing game at a time, and I play only occasionally at the Zone. This can absorb a massive amount of time if you have other responsibilities and interests!

Crustacian - I have registered your victory.

Old May 17, 2000, 16:11   #123
KenThur
Prince

Local Time: 23:02
Had to come back to see how things were going.
2 items:
Crusty... it's so interesting hearing your perspective as to the future, had we been able to stick it out. I really can't ever afford to finish it, so U mite as well take a look at what i had in store for Bergen & your alpines if they had ever tried an invasion (hints: the crusiers=yep + RR tied every city together+factories & universities).
That's why this tourney was / is so exciting / challenging... the level of competition & competiveness.

Re: the bug/flaw... i fully understand what some of U have posted. Pls read again EXACTLY what the situ was / is:
*Bug: if U move a caravan next to a city that demands it's cargo, but wait for even 1 turn for the cities involved to grow or complete a trade-enhancing improvement or your civ to finish researching current advance...it stops demanding that commodity!!!! Happened FOUR times, twice with the same caravan after shipping him from 1 end of the world & then back again(& U wonder why my turns took long?).

The city's demand did not change until i moved DIRECTLY NEXT TO IT. & all 4 times the VERY NEXT TURN it stopped demanding what that caravan was carrying. Almost like the program assumed it had established a route just because it was next to it. (which of course would be great, if it paid the gold & science rewards )
Old May 19, 2000, 19:42   #124
CapTVK
Civilization II MultiplayerPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
King

Kenthur,

Sorry to see you retire, but we all have to set our agenda at some point. Yup, there are things more important than Civ! strange but true I had hoped to cross swords with you in the next round of the tournament, but who knows what the future will bring...

I'll try to loot and burn a few cities for you in the next round.

P.S
Milo, if your reading this. Would you like to post your favourite mistake in the "most stupid thing I ever done in MP"-thread? It was so FUNNY!
Old May 23, 2000, 01:07   #125
Nappy
Warlord

Curumbor and I finally finished the longest,hardest fought duel that Ive ever been involved in. Our busy schedules only allowed us to play once a week for 1-2 hours so the game really stretched out. The map was really 1 big continent split nearly in half by a 3 square wide isthmus and some scattered islands. Curumbor had requested and I agreed to a no-city bribe game. After an early stalemated battle for control of the isthmus around 600 AD we both dug in and embarked on a civ building contest. I had some bad luck in exploring huts so Curumbor beat me to Monarchy by 30 turns and also to HG. However the huts gave me mapmaking early so I was able to colonize all the islands and also the backside of Curumbor's half of our continent. I pulled roughly even with Curumbor about 1200 AD. After building SOL I did a series of WLTPD's to reach size 17 cities and then switched to fundy. The ayatollah then launched his BEF(Babylonian Expeditionary Force) and attacked over the ocean to the soft underbelly of Curumbors Aztec empire.Curumbor capitulated in 1798 AD and we both discussed the results of the game. We decided that the key to our game was my early discovery of trade allowing me to rush build key wonders. In retrospect, I think that the use of the no-city bribe rule creats a stalemate situation when both civs have equal military techs. But overall it was a really great, close, tense game and I look forward to playing against Curumbor again in the future.
Old May 23, 2000, 03:41   #126
finbar
Civilization II MultiplayerMac
Emperor

Local Time: 01:02
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Sounds like a great game. Well summarised too.

------------------
finbar
Mono Rules!
Old May 23, 2000, 03:50   #127
Alexander's Horse

(finbar's a professional writer)

Old May 24, 2000, 09:58   #128
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 18:02
Nappy and Curumbor - Congratulations on a long hard-fought duel! It's a shame someone had to lose. Well, I suppose that is the price you pay for someone getting to win...