Old November 7, 2003, 19:43   #1
publius
Settler

Local Time: 12:05
Local Date: November 2, 2010
AA formula
does anybody know how the AA defenses are calculated? jesse posted earlier this week saying a check is made against the defense stat of the attacking plane. but what gets checked?

obviously the AA ratings aren't simply added together - because there are like 8 battleships in pearl at the beginning of the ww2 scenario and the japanese planes are still getting through, even with low defense ratings. so what's the formula?
publius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2003, 19:50   #2
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Local Time: 08:05
Also, do AA defenses actually shoot down planes, or do they just prevent them from hitting their target? (Can you tell I don't have the game yet? )
alexman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2003, 20:08   #3
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 14:05
I think they shoot them down. ( I've got this from the WW2 scenario thread, not the one on this page)
Here's a quote from it.
Quote:
Those flak guns are making a difference for the enemy! Alot of my planes have been shot down by them. A few times I seen some ships shoot them down too. Works pretty good but hurting me. Then again I have shot some US planes down too. In one turn I lost 3 zero fighters and a bomber from attacking one city that had AA and intercepting fighters.
Edit: added quote
alva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2003, 20:19   #4
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 06:05
There is a formula, but I haven't seen it released by Firaxis or Breakaway yet.

The planes do get shot down. In my attacks on Pearl Harbor, I typically lose an average of 3 planes to American AA fire. This is roughly the same results I get when I am defending Pearl Harbor (3 Japanese planes shot down by my AA).
kring is offline   Reply With Quote