Old November 8, 2003, 12:39   #1
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 06:07
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Rise of Rome Strategy Tips
What's your strategy as Rome? Do you focus on Carthage first, or build up your empire by attacking the Celts and other Tribes?
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
The diplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2003, 16:21   #2
Kaos XIII
Warlord

Local Time: 07:07
You have to focus on Carthage first, since you're in lock war.

I've only played it one time, but it's clear to me that the capital Carthage needs to be taken quickly. This then moves the Carthaginian capital out to the far west. Or in my game at least.
Old November 8, 2003, 16:29   #3
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

I just loaded this game as rome, I think I will try to take Syracuse and Marsala first, as we start at war with Hannibal, then I will probably try out the celts.

I love opening up the game and seeing all these roads leading off into the darkness, very forboding.
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2003, 16:38   #4
Kaos XIII
Warlord

Definately, the complete invasion of Sicily should be first, and it's quite easy. Sardinia and Corsica are also easy to invade, thus I left those for later.

P.S. Be wary of those Scythian Horsemen, they are not your friends.
Old November 8, 2003, 16:54   #5
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaos XIII
You have to focus on Carthage first, since you're in lock war.

I've only played it one time, but it's clear to me that the capital Carthage needs to be taken quickly. This then moves the Carthaginian capital out to the far west. Or in my game at least.
Ah, I didn't realize that it was a locked war, though that's a duh realization. So looks like I will work on them first.
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2003, 18:08   #6
Louis XXIV
C4WDG Stratega
Prince

Are there any new units in the scenario?

I think Locked War with Carthage is a bit unrealistic. Rome had been a peace with Carthage for many years (before the scenario started I guess). And there was a peace treaty after each Punic War.
Old January 7, 2004, 14:58   #7
Rugger-UK
Settler

Local Time: 12:07
Cathage will start attacking over the alps with Elephants and other units! Though not their UU they still get them in addition to Numerian Spearmen. The Celts will probably join in and definately watch those Scythians!!!
Rugger-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2004, 15:19   #8
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 05:07
Yes, because of the locked war, Carthage was my starting point as well.

I too started with the islands (Sicily, Sardinia, and Corsica) and used those as a jumping point to Carthage. After that I consolidated my forces against the city of Carthage. After that fell I spread my forces back out to take the north coast cities. The spice on the islands and a city I built neat the dyes over by Egypt (along with the Temple of Artemis) have given me enough happiness to get to size 12 cities with my core.

Regarding the forces Carthage sent to me through Celt land, just as they were about to attack me I paid off the Celts to start a war with Carthage.

The two other northern tribes are currently in rotating wars with Persia and Macedonia, none of which I've had a hand in yet. My foreign affairs screen looks like a huge jumble of red lines right now.
Rhothaerill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2004, 15:24   #9
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 05:07
Quote:
Originally posted by Louis XXIV
Are there any new units in the scenario?
I've only played with the Romans so far, but they have three upgradeable levels of Legions, each with better stats than the last, and all three also have worker actions of roading and building fortresses. The Romans also have a garrison unit which is essentially a cheap pikeman, and some strong mounted units.

Carthage does have elephants as noted, which is a good thing considering the history of Hannibal's ill-fated invasion of the Italian peninsula. Of course in history, Rome didn't pay off Celtish mercenaries to stop Hannibal's elephant invasion.
Rhothaerill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2004, 15:54   #10
joncha
MacNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 21:07
I took Sicily, Sardinia and Corsica from Carthage first, then paid-off everyone else so I could fight a running war into Spain, then made two simultanious landings into North Africa (from Spain and from Sicily)...

...and almost lost.

It leaves the (relatively) weak Celts with all their cities intact, and all that land and population comes in handy for the victory. That wouldn't have been a problem for me, except: a) Carthage walked all over the Egyptians early, so they had a "fall-back" empire after I routed them the first time and b) just as I pushed the Carthaginians into in Egypt, the Macedonia collapsed, leaving the Persians a beautiful chance for victory by either taking Egypt or (more likely) knocking on my backdoor while I was vacationing in Africa.

Good scenario, far more challenging than I expected (especially after an easy walk through the Mesopotamia scenario).

jon.

And just in case a disputant, calls you to dispute about their claims,
Do not, then, dispute on them, except by way of an external dispute.
joncha is offline   Reply With Quote