Old November 8, 2003, 14:19   #1
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 06:07
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Vultures are hovering my cities!
The Plague is nasty but it has a cool animation. When the Plague hits, you see vultures hover over the city!
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
The diplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2003, 14:52   #2
Swissy
Civilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMRise of Nations MultiplayerIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerBtS Tri-League

Local Time: 07:07
And that ghostly skull superimposed over the city is neat also.
Old November 8, 2003, 14:58   #3
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

It is a nice animation and skull.
kring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2003, 16:12   #4
Kaos XIII
Warlord

It is very nice.

It should be noted, that the Plague is NOT in the epic game. (At least, I don't think it's in.) But they included a mod, inside labeled "with plague" so that you CAN play the epic game with it.

EDIT: these are the 3 birds, which circle around the plagued city.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ss01.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	56901  
Old November 8, 2003, 16:23   #5
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 05:07
So far I find the plaque rather feeble. It only seems to strike one city at a time, not your whole empire. I'm have better results just allowing disease in terrain other than Jungles, Marsh and Floodplain. I've given that possibility to all my terrain now,I think it's much more realistic.
Willem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2003, 16:42   #6
The diplomat
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Willem
So far I find the plaque rather feeble. It only seems to strike one city at a time, not your whole empire. I'm have better results just allowing disease in terrain other than Jungles, Marsh and Floodplain. I've given that possibility to all my terrain now,I think it's much more realistic.
No, it definitely can strike your whole empire. It happened to me in my first fall of rome game. The plague has a certain chance of hitting any city connected by your trade network. So if your cities are all interconnected with roads, there will be a good chance that all cities will be affected by the plague. Also, cities with walls are more affected than cities without walls.
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
Old November 8, 2003, 17:04   #7
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I keep hearing a dog bark. Just once, and at unpredictable times. It's driving me nuts trying to figure out why.
notyoueither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2003, 17:24   #8
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 13:07
civ3 has always had that dog bark/howl there...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Provost Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2003, 17:25   #9
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 12:07
I think in scenarios the plague is much stronger. I read somewhere, not sure if this is correct, that in the standard non scenario games plague is weakened in-line with local disasters such as volcano erupting and disease.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2003, 17:28   #10
G'Kar
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by The diplomat
Also, cities with walls are more affected than cities without walls.
Why is that? Or is it the other way around?
G'Kar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2003, 17:37   #11
The diplomat
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Defcon5

From the civilopedia:

"The effect of the plague is exacerbated in larger cities, walled cities, and cities with commerce and a trade network."
Old November 8, 2003, 17:40   #12
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

I also assume that the size 7+ cities get credited with Walls for purpose of plague calculation as well.

Defcon5, it's a matter of historic record during the middle ages that fortified towns (city walls) got the plague much more frequently than unfortfited towns (no city walls.)

If they were being even more realistic, there would be increased chance of a plague in cities without hospitals with more than a couple of military units.

Quote:
Originally posted by Defcon5

joncnunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2003, 18:11   #13
Louis XXIV
C4WDG Stratega
Prince

Also, Ancient Athens, while walled up under Spartan seige, got hit by a terrible plague.
Old November 8, 2003, 19:23   #14
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
civ3 has always had that dog bark/howl there...
It's not the howl. It's a short, higher pitched bark, like a terrier. I can't recall ever hearing it before..
Old November 8, 2003, 19:24   #15
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Local Time: 08:07
Wow, I'm really glad plague is not in the epic game!

Not only do I already hate random factors that mess up my carefully planned city growth (disease, barbarians), but also walls are a relatively rarely-built improvement that doesn't need a plaque penalty to make them even more rarely-built.
alexman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2003, 20:05   #16
dannubis
King

Local Time: 14:07
Quote:
Originally posted by Louis XXIV
Also, Ancient Athens, while walled up under Spartan seige, got hit by a terrible plague.
which by the way thoroughly saved their asses ... if you capture a city that has the plague and is in your trade network, do you also have the risk of spreading it through your empire ?
Old November 8, 2003, 20:26   #17
FrostyBoy
Emperor

Local Time: 20:07
Quote:
Originally posted by alexman

Not only do I already hate random factors that mess up my carefully planned city growth (disease, barbarians), but also walls are a relatively rarely-built improvement that doesn't need a plaque penalty to make them even more rarely-built.

But thats life alexman.

I love how some people here say things in terms of the game being much easier to play - thus more realistic.
Old November 8, 2003, 20:39   #18
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

you can just toggle the plague in the editor, right? (instead of always having to use the seperate scenario).
Old November 8, 2003, 21:02   #19
Louis XXIV
C4WDG Stratega
Prince

Yep

I think you can edit its effect too (to make it more powerful).
Old November 8, 2003, 23:39   #20
RobC
Warlord

Local Time: 04:07
Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither

It's not the howl. It's a short, higher pitched bark, like a terrier. I can't recall ever hearing it before..
Are you playing as the Maya by any chance?
RobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2003, 23:46   #21
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 12:07
Quote:
Originally posted by alexman

I guess you wouldn't want to be president of any country then :P
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2003, 00:46   #22
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by RobC

Are you playing as the Maya by any chance?
No. Against them. I think it is when the jav chucker wins a battle. When I heard it earlier I couldn't see any battles going on. Later, during the war of the Final Mayan Solution, a jav chucker won a battle and I heard the same bark.

Thanks, Rob. It was driving me nuts.
Old November 9, 2003, 02:26   #23
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither

No. Against them. I think it is when the jav chucker wins a battle. When I heard it earlier I couldn't see any battles going on. Later, during the war of the Final Mayan Solution, a jav chucker won a battle and I heard the same bark.

Thanks, Rob. It was driving me nuts.
I guess I will have to turn on my speakers to see what it sounds like. I did turn them on during one battle, but did not leave them on long enough to hear anything else.
I tend to not use the sound for TBS games.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2003, 04:41   #24
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

The Javelin Thrower makes that noise.

On the Plague issue, it can vary widely from game to game. In some of my games, I had little or no plague. In other games, I was having a dozen cities get hit within a few turns several times during the game.
kring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2003, 09:02   #25
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

I hate plague.

If plague is taken out of the epic game in the retail, that would make my day! Massive trade network-wide plagues across much of my empire were something I absolutely loathed when playing epic games before, so I'd be downright jubilant if I don't have to worry about them anymore. I've been playing only the conquests since getting the retail version, so I guess I'll have to play an epic game to see.

That said, it's certainly more historically accurate to have those massive plagues that force units you want to keep out of your cities and make the Middle Age and early Industrial Age far more interesting at times. While I absoultely loathe it when a plague starts in my cities, I have to admit that I like that they put it into the game.
Arnelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2003, 09:13   #26
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaos XIII
It should be noted, that the Plague is NOT in the epic game. (At least, I don't think it's in.) But they included a mod, inside labeled "with plague" so that you CAN play the epic game with it.
If I use this mod, will my scores show up in the Hall of Fame?
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
lockstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2003, 14:54   #27
Louis XXIV
C4WDG Stratega
Prince

Probably not.
Old November 9, 2003, 15:21   #28
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 14:07
Slightly OT:
Does disease still strike twice in a row?
alva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2003, 15:32   #29
Chieftess
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Chieftess

1 - The plague can strike the same city, but only after it's over.
2 - The bark is the Javelin Thrower. Also, listen to it when it's promoted.

@kaos XIII - Nice shot of my city.
Chieftess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2003, 18:55   #30
jkelly
Chieftain

Historical trivia
Quote:
Originally posted by Louis XXIV
They recently did some genetics work on a mass grave in Athens near the Parthanon, and discovered, to great surprise, that this plague was related to Ebola.