Old December 14, 2000, 01:08   #1
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 02:08
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Thanks Cam
Furthermore, not only is the map relatively small, but the author has increased the movement rate along roads from three to four, and included some railway-equivalent squares ('plaza'). As such, transferring troops from one side of the city to the other may be done in comparatively few turns, which helps game play significantly.

Actually I included those only because getting road/road intersections working would have taken a lot of time.

A simple game objective, the Romans (player) must take the Rebel Camp, while the Rebels (A.I.) must take the Roman Fort. Ultimately achieving victory can be pretty 'touch and go' as the Rebels' leader (Julius Commonus) has pretty tough defence statistics. Even with your own 'super unit' (Maximus Gloriosus) at veteran status, a bit of luck is needed in getting quite a few 'hits in' in order to get Julius' health bar down towards the red.

If I had actually playtested it myself, the endgame would have been easier since my taste in scenarios leans towards very easy.

As mentioned previously, the lack of credits for 'borrowed' artwork are an omission of significance, while the 'readme' could also be used to promote the author's other scenarios or web site.

I didn't have any scenarios worthy of mention (*cough* WWI *cough*) published when I released Roman Riots.

As earlier mentioned, the graphic for the fortress terrain improvement is very dominant, and conceals the health bar of units, which can from time to time lead to very injured units inadvertently being ordered to attack healthy opponents.

The fortress' height will be halved if I ever get around to updating this scenario.

The reason I made Roman Riots in the first place was to do a technology demo. It is similar in concept to having a hardware manufacturer design shooter to demonstrate what their new toy can do. The goal is to have the community see what can be done and extend the concepts into something much more fun and playable. Like I said, I never played it fully through myself (I did make sure it was completeable, albeit 64 turns does sound a bit short in the hindsight) because I didn't make it for personal fun as had with the WWIs, Fictional Americas, and the now paused 7of9.

------------------
St. Leo
http://www.sidgames.com/hosted/ziggurat/
http://www.sidgames.com/forums/
Old December 14, 2000, 01:58   #2
Cam
King

Local Time: 15:38
Local Date: October 31, 2010
No worries.

I thought it did have a 'demo' feel about it too; knowing your other stuff, this one seemed a little too simple. I suspected you had all of these great city graphics and just wanted to offer something quickly to the Civ2 community to show how good the images looked.

Nonetheless, I did enjoy it as a shortish 'El Dorado' type of mission. Thanks.

The full review here!