Old November 10, 2003, 12:00   #31
Slax
Prince

Local Time: 07:07
Local Date: November 2, 2010
What about the scoring system? It seemed to me that before it did not adequately give bonuses to those who win early, and instead rewards "milking". Has this changed?
Slax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2003, 12:12   #32
Cookie Monster
King

Quote:
suppose that's good plan if you enjoy c3c more than sex.
Old November 10, 2003, 21:10   #33
Selanne
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:07
Quote:
Originally posted by alexman

The reason is that the game wants seafaring civs (Spain) to start on the coast. Supposedly you can stop this from happening by checking "Custom Rules" in the editor, after you assign starting locations.
Well it worked. But now my choices are change Spain from Seafaring to some other advantage, or start them somewhere on the coast (Barcelona) but not as Madrid.

Old November 10, 2003, 21:24   #34
WarpStorm
King

Or you could make a scenario without starting locations and explicitly place all the start units.
Old November 10, 2003, 21:48   #35
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 08:07
Re: Any complaints about Conquest?
Quote:
Originally posted by Yolky
Just wanted to know before I buy. I read the good things about it, but would like to know about the bad things. Been burnt buy getting Civ3 and it wasn't what it was hyped up to be.(yeah I know old story)

I don't play Multiplayer so I am only looking for single player functions.

Davor

ps i am going to read the bug thread but want to know about just bad things about Conquests being pet peevs or bugs or something you just don't like about it
I think it's the best release so far. None of the bugs are gamebreaking, unlike Civ3 and PTW. The Conquests also give you a nice refreshing "new game" feel.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2003, 06:49   #36
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 13:07
My only complaint so far it that it isn't here yet.
DrSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2003, 07:28   #37
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

My complaint was that they should have released it on Dec 11, my last day of finals, so I have 2 weeks to play during my break. Now, I'm so conflicted between my school work and this game.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2003, 09:03   #38
Cryptor
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:07
Re: Re: Re: Re: Any complaints about Conquest?
Quote:
Originally posted by Feephi

I suppose that's good plan if you enjoy c3c more than sex.
Its a good plan if you enjoy c3c more than masterbation.
Oh, sorry, my mistake, you don't have to choose.

Isn't life grand.
Cryptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2003, 09:03   #39
protista
Settler

No Complaints/Problems Here!
This is the first program I have ever installed and worked with extensively that I can honestly say I have absolutely no complaints or problems with!

I have found no bugs.

I have discovered many improvements and enhancements, particularly in the AI. In the mid and upper levels, the AI does a marvelous job with positioning, stacking, and utilizing military forces.

There is much less "Busywork" required, and this allows you to really concentrate on the total picture, or total simulation, which becomes immensely gratifying.

Buy this program! It will be the best $30 you have ever spent on a computer program! Guaranteed!
protista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2003, 09:10   #40
Cookie Monster
King

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Any complaints about Conquest?
Quote:
Originally posted by Cryptor

Its a good plan if you enjoy c3c more than masterbation.
Oh, sorry, my mistake, you don't have to choose.

Isn't life grand.
Yes it is!
Old November 11, 2003, 13:18   #41
Mad Bomber
King

I have a couple of scenerio complaints:

The first (and by far most disappointing) is the WW2 pacific scenerio.

1) The scenerio is seriously flawed not only in historical context but also in gameplay balace (Most of the US is missing, The West coast cities are not even properly developed (SF is lacking a friggin factory for cryin' out loud) the British and chinese are weak options and the pearl harbor raid rarely sinks any ships ( I got a stinking CA when playing Japan at the cost of 3 bombers, When playing the US I sank three of the Japanese carriers with the battleships they were supposed to bomb; although they did get my harbor)

2) This scenerio in particular needs to use Accelerated Production (37 months to make a MG squad????),

3) In all scenerios there needs to be more workers (the Romans (Rise of Rome) start out with only 4 and at war with Carthage. The US starts out with 3 in the WW2 Pacific scenerio and one of those is on Hawaii.

Another complaint is the editor, it doesn't seem to be as user-friendly as the one in PTW and none of the mods used in CIV 3 or PTW can be imported to a new Scenerio.

I still like C3C, its a definate improvement over PTW, but the scenerios in particular could be much improved.
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Mad Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2003, 15:21   #42
Falconius
Prince

Re: Re: Any complaints about Conquest?
Quote:
You spend $30 on it, all your time on a Friday night with it, and it doesn't give you sex.
Are you sure you're using it right?
Old November 11, 2003, 15:41   #43
Stuie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Bomber
Another complaint is the editor, it doesn't seem to be as user-friendly as the one in PTW and none of the mods used in CIV 3 or PTW can be imported to a new Scenerio.
Huh? Use File-->Import, and change the file type to .bic or .bix, then navigate to where your Civ3/PTW scenario is located. Worked for me.
Stuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2003, 22:30   #44
Cryptor
Chieftain

Re: Re: Any complaints about Conquest?
Quote:

You spend $30 on it, all your time on a Friday night with it, and it doesn't give you sex.
I think the problem is that your not treating her right. Your copy of c3c needs to feel important, so take her to your local market place, and let her spend some of your gold on luxuries for herself. When the sun sets, take her out to a grannary, and rush buy a quality meal. Make sure you've got industrious workers serving you, to ensure prompt service and avoid awkward delays. After you feel her food box is full enough to grow to the next level, a trip to Shakespeare's Theatre may help to put her in the mood, or Copernicus Observatory if she is that way inclined. Avoid Sun Tzu War Academy, as a visit to it is more likely to result in the loss of one or more of your loved ones limbs, which will not put her in the mood for loving. After her trip to the theatre, or night under the stars, take her back to your Forbidden Place, light some candles, dim the lights, take out your Cruise Missile and prepare for a Revolution, and the anachry that follows. (Note, if your loved one is religious, this final stage may be unexpectedly short, so prepare for disapointment.)

Handy Hints.

- Driving the lady around in a sexy tank may help to put her in the mood. A pleasant Chariot ride is even more effective.

- Always use protection. Failure to do so may cause a Courthouse to forceably place you in an expensive 20 year GPT deal.

- Avoid Police Stations, Stock Exchanges, Research Labs, and especially the Manhatton Project.

- If something unfortunate may happen which results in the sudden demise of your loved one, quickly get to the nearest Airport, taking care to avoid all Police Stations on the way.

- If she keeps crashing, take her to the Hospital immediatly. She may need a patch. Be forwarned, sometimes you may have to wait for this patch.

- Being Expansionist may help your chances of finding the right girl for you. For some bizarre reason, it also aviods the butch chicks that beat you up.

- If your significant other looks like she's straight out of the 70's, and has an inkling towards free drugs, free love, and free rock and roll, mention to her how great you think Recycling Plants and Solar Plants are, and continually complain about Tactical Nukes, Coal Plants and Manufacturing Plants.

- Keep and eye on any deals your very good friend makes with others. Mutual protection pacts are a concern, but any rights of passage are a sure sign that she'll not being as faithful as she should.

- Don't forget to establish an embassy before you start firing cruise missiles in her direction.

- You can win over the one you love in many ways, but I suggust you try cultural and diplomatic methods first. Taking her into space would be great, but not particularly practical. I suggest you leave conquest and domination as the last resort. And don't forget, if you're patient, you can always win on points.

- If things aren't going as well as hoped, don't despair, you can always retire.
Old November 11, 2003, 22:49   #45
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 05:07
Re: Re: Re: Any complaints about Conquest?
Quote:

I think the problem is that your not treating her right. Your copy of c3c needs to feel important, so take her to your local market place, and let her spend some of your gold on luxuries for herself. When the sun sets, take her out to a grannary, and rush buy a quality meal. Make sure you've got industrious workers serving you, to ensure prompt service and avoid awkward delays. After you feel her food box is full enough to grow to the next level, a trip to Shakespeare's Theatre may help to put her in the mood, or Copernicus Observatory if she is that way inclined. Avoid Sun Tzu War Academy, as a visit to it is more likely to result in the loss of one or more of your loved ones limbs, which will not put her in the mood for loving. After her trip to the theatre, or night under the stars, take her back to your Forbidden Place, light some candles, dim the lights, take out your Cruise Missile and prepare for a Revolution, and the anachry that follows. (Note, if your loved one is religious, this final stage may be unexpectedly short, so prepare for disapointment.)

to the entire post (I didn't want to quote the whole thing). The funniest post I've seen in ages (maybe ever) in a Civ-specific forum.

Catt
Catt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2003, 00:33   #46
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I few minor bugs.

Still some stability issues for me.

Gameplay seems okay. Bout the same as regular Civ3- just with new stuff.

And of course the scenarios. But I'm trying to finish this epic game first. This game is going to take longer than I thought. Damn Sumerians.
Old November 12, 2003, 01:46   #47
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Which epic game is it?
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2003, 03:51   #48
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Silly dexters, an EPIC isn't a Conquest/provided-scenario, it's a random generic not-a-scenario game!

Quote:
I think the problem is that your not treating her right. Your copy of c3c needs to feel important, ...
I second Catt's opinion! Worthy of a save and printout!
SUCH relationship advice!
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Jaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2003, 03:56   #49
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

my only complaint is I haven't got it yet

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Alexander's Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2003, 04:00   #50
jkelly
Chieftain

Favourite line:

(Note, if your loved one is religious, this final stage may be unexpectedly short, so prepare for disapointment.)
Old November 12, 2003, 04:03   #51
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

AH, forfeit the money you have already spent on the bleepin' pre-order, call ahead to find a shop that has it, have them hold it for you and GO GET IT!

(Assuming finances are not a problem. If they are, please disregard this message)
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Jaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2003, 04:26   #52
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

another possible complaint I have is the Hall of Fame.

It seems to me it only shows the top scores for each scenario, and nothing else.

And there is a button called: Next, which doesn't seem to work. Clicking on that takes you to the new game setup screen.

I just finished one of the introduction scenarios, but my high score doesn't show up. And I kicked ass on that scenario too . Well I was only playing warlord. Still trying to learn the victory condition rules.

Am I doing something wrong? Can you see the hall of fames for the other versions of Civ you had? Where did they go?
Old November 12, 2003, 05:55   #53
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 13:07
Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
Hey you stole my complaint!

Btw @Cryptor.
DrSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2003, 11:41   #54
Thoth
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander's Horse

Patience, sometimes wooing a lady takes time.

Cryptor: Great post.
Thoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2003, 12:23   #55
Brundlefly
Prince

I think Cryptor has spent too many Friday nights alone with c3c...
Brundlefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2003, 12:57   #56
Fried-Psitalon
Civilization IV: MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC4DG Sarantium
Official Civilization IV Strategy Guide Co-Author

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
another possible complaint I have is the Hall of Fame.

It seems to me it only shows the top scores for each scenario, and nothing else.

And there is a button called: Next, which doesn't seem to work. Clicking on that takes you to the new game setup screen.

I just finished one of the introduction scenarios, but my high score doesn't show up. And I kicked ass on that scenario too . Well I was only playing warlord. Still trying to learn the victory condition rules.

Am I doing something wrong? Can you see the hall of fames for the other versions of Civ you had? Where did they go?
"Next" takes you to the "next" scenario you havent' beaten.

When you finish all the scenarios, you'll be glad you did. ::whistle::

And some of us, by the way, get our girlfriends to play Civ - now if only we could somehow have sex at the same time, that'd be something. Imagine the diplomatic exchanges!

Er... or maybe you shouldn't.
Fried-Psitalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2003, 13:17   #57
doronron
Settler

Local Time: 06:07
[qoute]

And some of us, by the way, get our girlfriends to play Civ - now if only we could somehow have sex at the same time, that'd be something. Imagine the diplomatic exchanges!

[/quote]

This would give a whole new meaning to the term "hotseat".
doronron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2003, 20:13   #58
Cryptor
Chieftain

Quote:
I think Cryptor has spent too many Friday nights alone with c3c...
Too right I have. Last night, me, Joan d'Arc, along with a bit of wine, got of the furs, lighted some incense, and lets just say we got the rights of passage signed and slipped quietly into anachry.

Though I must say, I can't remember what else I signed, because the morning after, there were a lot more disgruntal workers in my kitchen, and a lot less money in the back account, along with an new unexplained, in depth knowledge of electronics. Now that I think about it, my dear Joan was going on a lot about rocketry before I left, and shes usually not into that sort of thing, recycling is more her forte. Oh well, might as well go check out those maps she left behind.
Old November 12, 2003, 20:34   #59
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

1A. US also at war with Germany; off map resources of the US assumed to be going towards European front (Remember that the US decieded upon Germany first.)

The fact that is Japan had won Midway won have led to a reallocation of production that was headed to Europe to the Pacific instead until that is resolved is outside the scope of a scenerio focusing on the pacfic.

1B. Duh, US cities on the west cost in the 1941 weren't well developed, especally compared to the east.

1C. Historically accurcute. UK was if anything withdrawing units from that theatre in 1942.

rest of 1: No comment, haven't played the conquest yet.

2. There is a multi-player version of the conquest and it does have accel prod on.

3. Build them yourself if you want them. I think that having very few worker units in Dec 1941 is historically accurate for the US. The CBs had to be mobilized (represented in the game by building them) as well. As I recall, the Roman Legion UU can build roads in that conquest.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Bomber
I have a couple of scenerio complaints:

The first (and by far most disappointing) is the WW2 pacific scenerio.

1) The scenerio is seriously flawed not only in historical context but also in gameplay balace (Most of the US is missing, The West coast cities are not even properly developed (SF is lacking a friggin factory for cryin' out loud) the British and chinese are weak options and the pearl harbor raid rarely sinks any ships ( I got a stinking CA when playing Japan at the cost of 3 bombers, When playing the US I sank three of the Japanese carriers with the battleships they were supposed to bomb; although they did get my harbor)

2) This scenerio in particular needs to use Accelerated Production (37 months to make a MG squad????),

3) In all scenerios there needs to be more workers (the Romans (Rise of Rome) start out with only 4 and at war with Carthage. The US starts out with 3 in the WW2 Pacific scenerio and one of those is on Hawaii.

I still like C3C, its a definate improvement over PTW, but the scenerios in particular could be much improved.
joncnunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2003, 22:13   #60
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 00:07
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by kwpulliam1973
Broke out the editor... went through the unit list. Aside from the basics (you can't airlift a sea vessel)... The following units do not have airlift checked.

Catapult
Hwach'a
Cannon
Artillary
Radar Artillary
So can I assume those Medieval Catapult thingies are(Bombards?) not airliftable either?

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
MrWhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote