Old November 8, 2003, 23:39   #1
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 04:08
Local Date: November 2, 2010
What is the role of prison?
Is it to punish the criminals because they deserve it? Is it to deter people from committing crimes? Is it to fix the people who have committed crimes and turn them into good people who won't do it again? And that brings up another question. Does rehabilitation work?

By deciding what the role of prison is could definitely be helpful in deciding whether or not the death penalty should be legal, whether or not cruel and/or unusual punishment should be allowed, and in deciding what to do to criminals when they've been convicted.
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old November 8, 2003, 23:41   #2
DaShi
Emperor

Local Time: 12:08
A cheap, reliable source for human experimentation?
Old November 8, 2003, 23:43   #3
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 06:08
Quote:
Is it to punish the criminals because they deserve it? Is it to deter people from committing crimes? Is it to fix the people who have committed crimes and turn them into good people who won't do it again?
D) All of the above
Old November 8, 2003, 23:44   #4
NeOmega
Prince

I would say punishment.
And that is the way I would like it if I felt all laws were just.
Old November 8, 2003, 23:48   #5
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Idealistically it's to make sure prisoners (once released) never commit the crime again.
However because of normal human behavior, it's been reduced to simply a means of punishment.
Old November 8, 2003, 23:49   #6
johncmcleod
Prince

If the reason is punishment then, how does it help? A person murders another person. How does it help that the murdere is punished. How does it make things better?

And if punishment is the reason, shouldn't cruel punishment be allowed? What if they deserve it? Should OBL get it?

And, is it our place to say what people deserve?
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old November 8, 2003, 23:50   #7
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 14:08
Basically it depends on the age, or to be more correct in modern terms, it depends on what's this years fashion.
Old November 8, 2003, 23:51   #8
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Quote:
Originally posted by johncmcleod
If the reason is punishment then, how does it help?
It doesn't.

Quote:
And if punishment is the reason, shouldn't cruel punishment be allowed?
That would require us admitting to ourselves the real reason for prisons in our society.

Quote:
What if they deserve it? Should OBL get it?
No.

Quote:
No.
Old November 8, 2003, 23:52   #9
NeOmega
Prince

Quote:
If the reason is punishment then, how does it help? A person murders another person. How does it help that the murdere is punished. How does it make things better?

And if punishment is the reason, shouldn't cruel punishment be allowed? What if they deserve it? Should OBL get it?

1) biggest reason is to be sure they do not do it again, or retaliate against the victim. I think only a good punishment will break a criminal's will.

2) I am all for cruel punishment. Luckily for the prisoners, the constitution frowns upon it. To me, all punishment is cruel, or it wouldn't be punishment.

3) If not us, who?
Old November 8, 2003, 23:54   #10
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Quote:
quote:
No
Indeed, but it is society's place (IE the judge)
Old November 8, 2003, 23:57   #11
Nubclear

No it isn't
Old November 9, 2003, 00:02   #12
alva
Deity

ok, Tass, you give the answer then.
( we are talking about a criminal...)
Old November 9, 2003, 00:07   #13
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 07:08
This is an extremely stupid and assanine thread (and I really mean this) but what the hell I've participated in worse.

Quote:
If the reason is punishment then, how does it help?
It sends the message that commiting crimes is wrong and stops people from taking the law into their own hands. Unless of course roving mobs of vigilantes appeals to you on a visceral level.
Quote:
We went to the trouble of catching them. What fun would there be in simply letting them go after that?
Old November 9, 2003, 00:19   #14
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Ideally, prison should be used to rehabilitate people and put them in a controlled environment so they don't have the chance to hurt others in the mean time.

But in reality, prison is generally little more than a mechanism for state-sponsored revenge.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old November 9, 2003, 00:21   #15
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramo
But in reality, prison is generally little more than a mechanism for state-sponsored revenge.
Only if you do it correctly.
Old November 9, 2003, 00:26   #16
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

You're pushing me into Godwin's Law territory.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old November 9, 2003, 00:28   #17
alva
Deity

Quote:
Ideally, prison should be used to rehabilitate people and put them in a controlled environment so they don't have the chance to hurt others in the mean time.
I consider myself to be a more or less left wing person, but there there should be some punishment too IMO. There's something called victims...., remember them?
(and again, I do mean criminals, not someone being arrested for smoking a joint or something)
Old November 9, 2003, 00:31   #18
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
You're pushing me into Godwin's Law territory.
Old November 9, 2003, 00:32   #19
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

What about them? Whatever was done to them, inflicting needless punishment on prisoners doesn't do anything to redress the act.
-Bokonon
Old November 9, 2003, 00:35   #20
alva
Deity

Sure you're from texas???!!??
Old November 9, 2003, 00:35   #21
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Whatever was done to them, inflicting needless punishment on prisoners doesn't do anything to redress the act.
We really aren't talking about needlessly punishing them. Ideally any workable rehabilitation program is going to incorporate some sort of punishment element (Remember the whole taking away your freedom thing). This also has a benefit of filling the deterence role as well.
Old November 9, 2003, 00:49   #22
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I am talking about needless punishment, since that's what criminal justice systems generally are about (for instance, look the death penalty). When the state inflicts punishment, revenge, not simply deterrence or rehabilitation, is a primary motivation.

Quote:
Sure you're from texas???!!??
Strictly speaking, Austin really isn't part of the rest of Texas. It's the San Francisco of the South.
-Bokonon
Old November 9, 2003, 01:20   #23
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 08:08
Is it to fix the people who have committed crimes and turn them into good people who won't do it again?

Yes.

Does rehabilitation work?

Yes.
Old November 9, 2003, 03:58   #24
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 05:08
Basically to remove unwanteds from society.

I can care less about rehabilitation or punishment. Get these dickweeds out of my face. I would like to walk down the street without being attacked.

**** em'. If they can't keep their violent tendencies to themselves they don't belong in society.
Old November 9, 2003, 06:33   #25
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 15:08
I think there is some contradiction in terms going on here. punishing is what's going on. The reason for the punishment are various: re-education, deterring others, isolating the criminal from society, and even, perhaps, revenge. To say that the reason they put criminals in jail is punishment, resembles saying that reason a person was given a certain job is so that he'll work. It is true, but is rather obvious.
Old November 9, 2003, 07:23   #26
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel
that reason a person was given a certain job is so that he'll work.
Obviously.
Old November 9, 2003, 07:42   #27
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 15:08
Number 1 priority is to keep criminals from harrasing the ones who play by the rules. For example violent criminals. Keep the people safer.

Then comes punishing for the crime they did.

Then comes the rehab thing, trying to make these people bounce back to the good side and if they have obvious problems, try working on them.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old November 9, 2003, 07:49   #28
Nubclear

I disagree. It's much more important to rehab the criminal than it is to punish them because punishment (well, severe punishment) would breed resentment, which is counter to the rehabilitation objective.
Old November 9, 2003, 07:54   #29
BeBro
Emperor

Punishing is there to show that society doesn´t accept when someone goes over the line, so it is not only pure evilness against the poor prisoner, it is also to initiate a learning process (ok, ideally) Personally I think punishment and rehab efforts should be on the same level.
Old November 9, 2003, 08:39   #30
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

people are put in prison in order to create a scary law-enforcing image to those who are not in prison