Old November 9, 2003, 02:32   #1
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 08:08
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Javelin Thrower enslave too strong?
I have not play much with this civ, but so far it seems to always enslave defeated units. I am sure it won't stay that way, but it seems very strong to get slave after slave.
I forsee Fane7 using raging barbs and building massive armies of slaves.
Are they free of maint as the normal slaves? If they had some cost, it would act as a breaker.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2003, 03:10   #2
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

I played the Mayans last night and had more workers than I knew what to do with. Maybe 1/3 of the time, a victory meant another slave worker. It definetly helped me wipe the competition away...booming cities of production!
Shogun Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2003, 03:31   #3
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 07:08
yes, it's 1/3 odds, and yes, they're free.

in my first mayan game i actually farmed two barb camps, ended up with like 30 barb slaves.
Old November 9, 2003, 03:47   #4
vmxa1
Deity

So that sounds a bit too strong to me. Probably a canidate for a tweak.
Old November 9, 2003, 04:55   #5
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:08
Reversing this advantage...

I sent obsolete units to die vs the jav chuckers. Then I would kill the jav chuckers to get my workers back.
notyoueither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2003, 06:56   #6
statusperfect
King

Local Time: 14:08
Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither

I sent obsolete units to die vs the jav chuckers. Then I would kill the jav chuckers to get my workers back.
twisted!
statusperfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2003, 09:08   #7
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 00:08
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Did they become full-fledged card-holding members of your civ, or did they trade slavery under the Mayans for slavery under your mighty paw?

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
MrWhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2003, 10:36   #8
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 13:08
Although I do not have the game yet, I was thinking about this idea of harvesting barbarian camps by sticking some Javelin Throwers around it and taking out barbarians when they come along. I am glad to see someone has put this into practice

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Provost Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2003, 10:40   #9
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

possible fixes to put in the next patch: no enslaving of barbarians, and javalin throwers only enslaving when attacking.

Old November 9, 2003, 10:50   #10
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

But that would spoil the che...*ahem*...fun

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Provost Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2003, 11:00   #11
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

Old November 9, 2003, 11:14   #12
Fried-Psitalon
Civilization IV: MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC4DG Sarantium
Official Civilization IV Strategy Guide Co-Author

You just had a good day with the RNG, fellas. It's only 1/3 - you'll notice it a lot more when you go 40 units without a single slave. Even money says in less than two weeks we see the mirror image of this thread going up, saying that it doesn't work often enough, and needs a tweak.

As for playing with raging barbs, that's like anything else - if you set the map to favor expansionists by making it a huge pangea with sedentary barbs, that's going to give some civs an advantage too.
Fried-Psitalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2003, 14:57   #13
Louis XXIV
C4WDG Stratega
Prince

Also, the Maya have an expensive unit.

What would happen if you didn't have any resources? You would have to pay 30 shields for a 2 attack. You might get some workers, but it would be harder to win a war.
Old November 9, 2003, 15:36   #14
grappleman
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:08
i have actually had trouble enslaving workers (not counting barbs), ive found for me its about 1/5 when it comes to enslaving units. just my observations though
Old November 10, 2003, 21:39   #15
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 00:08
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
Did they become full-fledged card-holding members of your civ, or did they trade slavery under the Mayans for slavery under your mighty paw?

So...any answer here?

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
MrWhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2003, 00:54   #16
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 05:08
Quote:

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither

Quote:
So...any answer here?
I'll let NYE answer definitively since he has direct experience . . . but I watched an enemy civ recapture some enslaved workers when I was playing the Mayans and the graphic changed from slave worker to native worker for them. Take that for what it's worth though, as NYE has also reported a bug with the slave vs. native worker graphics.

Catt
Catt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2003, 01:06   #17
RobC
Warlord

Local Time: 04:08
For what it's worth, I think enslavement is not too strong. After all, most warmongers are going to end up with more slaves than they know what to do with anyway...enslaving them is just a more fun way to go about it.
RobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2003, 02:56   #18
vmxa1
Deity

You may be right. The shelve life the Jav is not all that long anyway and you pay a big price by going to GA so soon.
Old November 11, 2003, 03:11   #19
Backpack
BtS Tri-League
Prince

I've gone in and modded all the foot-soldier type units in the ancient age, up through Pikeman to have this same enslave / worker capability. - Frankly - I think it's a win-win mod all around (except for the slave of course). - The AI seems to finally have enough workers to get some serious attention to tile improvements all around. - I'll post again after this game ends - Time will tell - (I usually beat the AI's to full RR by 50-100 turns, even when I'm behind in tech - I'll use that as a comparison)

Later

Kevin
Old November 11, 2003, 03:24   #20
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:

So...any answer here?
they're yours. i've had it done to me by the AI, and they were their native workers.

when you take it, it says Worker (Inca), and when they take it back, it goes native.
Old November 11, 2003, 03:25   #21
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

the whole point behind the jav is that it's too expensive to archer rush with effectively, and too weak to fight a late war with. so, for the short time it's good for a real war, you're weaker than your enemy, but have the enslavement.

but since barbs don't advance, farm away.
Old November 11, 2003, 09:44   #22
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

I played as the Maya last night.

Those Jav guys cost 30 shields, first of all. Second, my Jav won 10-15 battles against barbs, and enslaved exactly ONE worker. If there had been more open land and I'd gotten some uprisings, I would have gotten a few more. But I was REXing like mad (mmm, Agricultural, mmm) and filled up the land before that happened.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Arrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2003, 10:24   #23
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
I played as the Maya last night.

Those Jav guys cost 30 shields, first of all. Second, my Jav won 10-15 battles against barbs, and enslaved exactly ONE worker. If there had been more open land and I'd gotten some uprisings, I would have gotten a few more. But I was REXing like mad (mmm, Agricultural, mmm) and filled up the land before that happened.

-Arrian
you have to farm them to get the most out of them. find a camp near a jungle, and box it in.
Old November 11, 2003, 10:27   #24
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

oh, and agricultural + industrious + slaves + early GA = ancient powerhouse. you can rex like a bastard. i've often found myself sending slaves on a "road to" from battlefields to my cities. it helps the war effort, and allows me ot follow in with settlers.
Old November 11, 2003, 10:29   #25
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Early GA = ugh, for me. I hate 'em.

I agree, farming is a must in order to max out the enslavement ability. Next time I'll try harder.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Arrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2003, 10:53   #26
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Quote:

So...any answer here?
MrWIA.

I didn't go through the trouble of testing SPEEDS, but they were listed as REGULAR workers, and used the worker graphics.

My wife started up a new game and killed the autosave or I would go and join them to a city to see for you.

I just considered it a nice treat to have those 10 horse that died taking the capitol return as 5 workers.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
UnOrthOdOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2003, 10:56   #27
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Uber KruX
oh, and agricultural + industrious + slaves + early GA = ancient powerhouse. you can rex like a bastard. i've often found myself sending slaves on a "road to" from battlefields to my cities. it helps the war effort, and allows me ot follow in with settlers.
Oh sure, I can see Uber now:

Capture the defenders, raze the cities, a massive flow of slaves heading back to the core and a flow of settlers comming in behind.

Ethnic Cleansing...

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
UnOrthOdOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2003, 11:19   #28
doronron
Settler

not quite...as far as I can tell, I can't sacrifice anyone in the epic game without modding the rules...can't be evil if your enemies aren't rushing to certain death to please your "gods". A tempting idea, though.
doronron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2003, 12:25   #29
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
You may be right. The shelve life the Jav is not all that long anyway and you pay a big price by going to GA so soon.
You hit the nail on the head, vmxa1!!!

I got a GA in 2500 BC -- and I got beat to the Pyramids anyway Then before I knew, GA over. Ugh.

I don't know which is worse, GA at 2000 BC with Mayan or GA at 1950 with America. Neither is desireable.
Old November 11, 2003, 12:30   #30
Shogun Gunner
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
My wife started up a new game and killed the autosave or I would go and join them to a city to see for you.
Your wife plays Civ????

If only my wife did...I got the lecture again last night about playing too long. I tried to explain to her that my empire was on the brink of collapse and it required my full attention , but my pathetic attempt at humor didn't cut it.

She also had no opinion about the enslave ability of the Mayan javelin chucker.