View Poll Results: Which leader has best quotes?
Lady Deirdre Skye the hippies 4 7.14%
Chairman Sheng Ji-Yang of the Hive 23 41.07%
CEO Nwabudike Morgan of Morgan Industries 9 16.07%
Provost Zakharov of the Univeristy 8 14.29%
Colonel Corazon Santiago of the NRA 2 3.57%
Sister Miriam Godwinson of the Believers 1 1.79%
Commissioner Pravin Lal of the UN 4 7.14%
some Wisenheimer of the datalinks :P 5 8.93%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 9, 2003, 08:49   #1
Hippi
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:09
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Which leader has best quotes?
well?

http://ender.aspyre.ro/mindspell/col_alpha.html
Old November 9, 2003, 13:25   #2
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 12:09
Some Eistein guy on the data links in'nit?

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old November 9, 2003, 13:47   #3
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 07:09
essays on mind and matter. brrrrrr chilll scary.
Old November 9, 2003, 14:14   #4
Lazerus
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStates
King

Local Time: 13:09
<-

|
V
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.
Old November 9, 2003, 14:18   #5
CEO Aaron
ACDG3 Morgan
King

Yep. Even though I hate Yang, I have to give him props for having the deepest thoughts of anyone on Chiron.
Old November 9, 2003, 15:14   #6
Pandemoniak
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Location: of Xanadu, Scottish Section of the Apolyton Must Crush Capitalism Party
Commissioner Pravin Lal, for sure. Just for the : As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century. But as a total, all right for Yang...
Old November 9, 2003, 21:30   #7
SynthetGod8
Warlord

No way. The Zakharov quote about the rat he teleported: "I still have him. The damage wasn't as extensive as they say." makes me kinda of leery about wanting to go through that teleporter.
Or his hatred for mindworms. Oh, that Zak. He so crazy.

Last edited by SynthetGod8; November 9, 2003 at 21:37.
Old November 9, 2003, 21:45   #8
SynthetGod8
Warlord

Ah here we go:
"The first living thing to go through the device was a small white rat. I still have him, in fact. As you can see, the damage was not so great as they say.
And:
"Let the Gaians preach their silly religion, but one way or the other I shall see this compound burned, seared, and sterilized until every hiding place is found and until every last Mind Worm egg, every last slimy one, has been cooked to a smoking husk. That species shall be exterminated, I tell you! Exterminated!
---Lab Three aftermath"

Who knows what really happened at Lab Three?
How can anyone say that Zakharov doesn't have deep thoughts? His are probably the deepest next to Yang.
Old November 9, 2003, 22:41   #9
Urban Legend
Settler

"It is every citizens final duty to go into the tanks and become one with all the people." - Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang

So he wants to recycle people, thats a contributing factor to industry I guess.

btw, this is fac3.mp3 in the voice folder.

Last edited by Urban Legend; November 10, 2003 at 10:18.
Old November 10, 2003, 01:04   #10
MattyBoy
Prince

Local Time: 22:09
Spartans has my favourite single quotes...

Quote:
Doctrine: Flexibility
He held his arm too stiffly, and so was thrown back repeatedly, until at last I seized his forearm and snapped it back against itself. His training suffered while the arm healed, of course, but I felt this was a lesson he must learn early, and well.
Spartan Kel, "Honing the Ki"

The Cyborg Factory
A handsome young Cyborg named Ace,
Wooed women at every base,
But once ladies glanced at
His special enhancement
They vanished with nary a trace.
Barracks Graffiti, Sparta Command

Network Node
I don't know but I've been told,
Deirdre's got a Network Node.
Likes to press the on-off switch,
Dig that crazy Gaian witch!
Spartan Barracks MarchLab
...but, as a whole, my favourite is Morgan. He is so "progress at all costs" that you have to love him.
My favourites:
Quote:
The Merchant Exchange
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant. Need as well as greed have followed us to the stars, and the rewards of wealth still await those wise enough to recognize this deep thrumming of our common pulse.
CEO Nwabudike Morgan, "The Centauri Monopoly"

also: Industrial Base, Digital Sentience, The Longevity Vaccine, Hologram Theatre
Old November 10, 2003, 01:49   #11
Hippi
Chieftain

I must agree that morgan rocks. For me it's close Yang or Morgan but I voted for Yang.

"Dynamics of Mind"

"Essays on Mind and Matter"

"Looking God in the Eye"

"Ethics for Tomorrow"

man these rock!
Old November 10, 2003, 01:59   #12
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Believers of course.

Quote:
"DIE HERETIC (MAN)*****!!!!" - Future Believer Quote.
Old November 10, 2003, 02:19   #13
swillwater
Chieftain

I went with the Morgans. "The Ethics of Greed" quotes are great, but the 3d lab interviews help to make the Morgans seem to have one of the most vibrant societies on Alpha Centauri. And who can forget Recon Rover Rick?

However, for me the best single quote is the one for the Habitation Dome.
I think it is a beautiful statement.
Old November 10, 2003, 04:58   #14
torni
Settler

This is easy. Chairman Yang of is my favorite.

Just thinking of the times I've been pushing through a hard workout remembering:

"Pain, even agony, is no more than information before the senses, data fed to the computer of the mind."
Old November 10, 2003, 10:21   #15
Urban Legend
Settler

LOL, I was playing the voices in the voices folder when Sheng Ji Yang starts speaking chipmunk, seems it speeds up if you interrupt a playing with another playing.
Old November 10, 2003, 10:31   #16
dacole
ACDG The Human HiveBtS Tri-League
Prince

Gaians by all means they are the first to realise the planet is alive and what that might mean their quotes along this line are awesome. Also I'm biased to there way of life, I mean come on Yang may have "deep" thoughts but would any of us want to live in the world they create..?
Old November 10, 2003, 14:46   #17
dacole
ACDG The Human HiveBtS Tri-League
Prince

I have to say though the datalink quotes, being the collection of quotes from some of the highest thinkers the species has ever produced are good as well!
Old November 10, 2003, 18:10   #18
MattyBoy
Prince

Quote:
However, for me the best single quote is the one for the Habitation Dome.
I think it is a beautiful statement.
I agree. It's sensational:

Quote:
Habitation Dome
I sit in my cubicle, here on the motherworld. When I die, they will put my body in a box and dispose of it in the cold ground. And in all the million ages to come, I will never breathe or laugh or twitch again. So won't you run and play with me here among the teeming mass of humanity? The universe has spared us this moment.
Anonymous, Datalinks Dome
Old November 10, 2003, 20:07   #19
MattyBoy
Prince

So what came first, this quote or the movie "The Matrix" ?

Quote:
Bioenhancement Center
We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?
Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7 Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467; TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED
Old November 10, 2003, 22:38   #20
The Vagabond
Prince

1) Yang
2) Morgan (some of his quotes are plain silly, but still funny)
3) Miriam
Old November 11, 2003, 18:23   #21
Andemagne
Civilization II MultiplayerNationStatesCivilization II Succession GamesACDG3 Spartans
King

Spartans, of course! those Niitze quotes are also Great!
Old November 12, 2003, 01:25   #22
Hippi
Chieftain

It seems that Yang is winning with ½ of the votes. So we don't need a second voting round

unless zak or someone else starts getting votes fast :P

go Chairman!
Old November 12, 2003, 11:36   #23
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

"Resources exist to be consumed" is a classic one :=)
Old November 12, 2003, 12:11   #24
sammy1339
Chieftain

Oh, come on, how can you say that Zakharov has deep quotes? He says such stupid things sometimes. For example:
Superstring Theory:
"A brave little theory, and quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions. If only we lived in one."
Does he not know whether the theory works with five or seven dimensions? Did he just forget at that moment? Actually string theory requires no fewer than ten dimensions. And what does that mean - "If only we lived in one."? We live in FOUR - or five or seven if you accept whatever crazy theory this is. Apparently he doesn't get the concept of a dimension.
How about the Nonlinear Mathematics quote? Tell me that is not cheesy as hell. Even real academicians hardly ever say things that pretentious.
Overall, there's no question Yang has the best quotes among the faction leaders, and I am in favor of recycling people but I would still rather live in Gaia than the Hive. However, how can you compete with Aristotle and Nietzche? Sheng-Ji Yang can't compare to the Weisenheimer of the Datalinks.

P.S. Mattboy, SMAC came before The Matrix, and neither of them was remotely the first to come up with the idea of an illusory reality being created by an outside force. Philosophers have been hung up on that for at least 500 years.

Last edited by sammy1339; November 12, 2003 at 19:59.
Old November 12, 2003, 22:53   #25
swillwater
Chieftain

[SIZE=1] Originally posted by sammy1339
>Oh, come on, how can you say that Zakharov has deep quotes? He says such stupid things sometimes.

Some of his quotes are fairly deep, e.g. presentient algorithms, but certainly they are not cosistently deep .

>For example:
Superstring Theory:
"A brave little theory, and quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions. If only we lived in one."
Does he not know whether the theory works with five or seven dimensions?

I think you've missed the point of the 'or' in '5 or 7 dimensions'. For a generic theory, it could be both. For example, the Poincare conjecture although now believed to be true for all finite dimensions has vastly different approaches for 2,3, 4 and higher dimensions (i.e. there are 4 different approaches). The theory of the n-dimensional wave equation depends on whether n is even or n is odd.

>Did he just forget at that moment? Actually string theory requires no fewer than ten dimensions. And what does that mean - "If only we lived in one."?

If only lived in one- i.e if only we lived in a system of 5 or 7 dimensions. The 'one' refers to the system, not the number of dimensions.

>We live in FOUR - or five or seven if you accept whatever crazy theory this is. Apparently he doesn't get the concept of a dimension.

I don't know much about string theory so I won't comment on why 5 or 7 comes in.

>How about the Nonlinear Mathematics quote? Tell me that is not cheesy as hell. Even real academicians hardly ever say things that pretentious.

The mathematicians that I know (including myself) are often pretentious. We have a tendency to be unthinkingly arrogant,and I see a caricature of us in Zharkhov. A lot of his quotes reflect his arrogance more than his intellegence, which is why I agree with your overall assesment that his quotes are not the deepest or best of the faction leaders.
Old November 13, 2003, 00:09   #26
MattyBoy
Prince

Quote:
P.S. Mattboy, SMAC came before The Matrix, and neither of them was remotely the first to come up with the idea of an illusory reality being created by an outside force. Philosophers have been hung up on that for at least 500 years.
Thanks.
Old November 13, 2003, 00:43   #27
sammy1339
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by swillwater

>For example:
Superstring Theory:
Does he not know whether the theory works with five or seven dimensions?

I think you've missed the point of the 'or' in '5 or 7 dimensions'. For a generic theory, it could be both. For example, the Poincare conjecture although now believed to be true for all finite dimensions has vastly different approaches for 2,3, 4 and higher dimensions (i.e. there are 4 different approaches). The theory of the n-dimensional wave equation depends on whether n is even or n is odd.

>Did he just forget at that moment? Actually string theory requires no fewer than ten dimensions. And what does that mean - "If only we lived in one."?

If only lived in one- i.e if only we lived in a system of 5 or 7 dimensions. The 'one' refers to the system, not the number of dimensions.
Thanks, I didn't quite get that, I guess. However I still think that the part about "5 or 7 dimensions" doesn't make sense. It is fine for the Poincare conjecture because obviously you can talk about topology in however many dimensions you want, since it has (almost) nothing to do with reality. Even Schroedinger's Equation has that property, but to the best of my knowledge if you want to apply Schroedinger's Equation you can't just pick an arbitrary number of dimensions to work with - the number has to correspond to your physical system. In general a physicist had better know how many dimensions he is working with if he doesn't want to get conflicting results. I have never heard of a theory where people didn't know how many dimensions it used. Even Newton's Laws work, as a mathematical model, in n dimensions, but everybody who uses Newton's Laws understands that he is not supposed to apply them to a 16-dimensional system because it would have no connection to reality. So I really can't imagine a theory that works in either five or seven dimensions. Maybe I'm wrong.
Old November 13, 2003, 02:20   #28
swillwater
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by sammy1339

Thanks, I didn't quite get that, I guess. However I still think that the part about "5 or 7 dimensions" doesn't make sense. It is fine for the Poincare conjecture because obviously you can talk about topology in however many dimensions you want, since it has (almost) nothing to do with reality. Even Schroedinger's Equation has that property, but to the best of my knowledge if you want to apply Schroedinger's Equation you can't just pick an arbitrary number of dimensions to work with - the number has to correspond to your physical system. In general a physicist had better know how many dimensions he is working with if he doesn't want to get conflicting results. I have never heard of a theory where people didn't know how many dimensions it used. Even Newton's Laws work, as a mathematical model, in n dimensions, but everybody who uses Newton's Laws understands that he is not supposed to apply them to a 16-dimensional system because it would have no connection to reality. So I really can't imagine a theory that works in either five or seven dimensions. Maybe I'm wrong.
I'm no physicist, so I cannot directly disagree with you.
The (possibly nonexistent) parallel with the wave equation comes up again:
in even dimensions you have phenomena like ripples after the initial wave (think ripples on a pond after a stone has been thrown into it).
In odd dimensions (except for n=1) this cannot happen (eg sound waves happen once and there is no direct echo from the source).
Conceivably for string theory to apply, we need to be in an odd number of dimensions, so Zak picks 5 or 7 as the 2 closest to what we know; the point being of course that as far as we know we live in 4. This is a wild guess, and I should probably look up some papers on string theory before I say anything more.

Seperately, are you a mathematician? Not many people have heard of the Poincare conjecture, let alone know that it is a topological question.
Old November 13, 2003, 13:05   #29
Gluegun
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEM
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:09
Morgan. Hands down!

"Get off my land you Peacekeeping sonuva--!"

Old November 13, 2003, 20:16   #30
sammy1339
Chieftain

Well, I'm no physicist either, but I'm pretty sure that the wave equation can't be applied in any dimensions for a particular kind of wave. For example, you can't arbitrarily say that sound waves propagate in four directions instead of three - if you said that you would get results that had nothing to do with sound.

I'm not a mathematician either, just an undergraduate student, and I really don't know what the Poincare Conjecture is. I am pretty sure it is a condition that should distinguish between 3-spheres and the other 3-manifolds, and when you said it had different approaches for 2,3,4, and higher dimensions I assumed you were talking about distinguishing between 2-,3-,4-, and n-manifolds and 2-,3-,4-, and n-spheres. I didn't ask if that was right because I don't even know what the condition is to begin with and it really had nothing to do with Zakharov's quote anyhow. :-)