View Poll Results: Do you like the change to bombardment (so city improvements are never hit)?
No, it's unrealistic and makes it too easy to beat the AI 48 53.33%
Yes, it makes artillery more fun and useful 42 46.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 9, 2003, 14:12   #1
RobC
Warlord

Local Time: 04:10
Local Date: November 2, 2010
POLL: Do you like the change to bombardment (never hits city improvements)?
In C3C, bombardment was changed so that it only targets units in cities, and never hits improvements. Do you like this change? (see http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=101166 for earlier discussion on this change)
RobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2003, 15:14   #2
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 05:10
I voted "No."

It's not terribly bad since we can self-impose limits on our own use of offensive artillery against the AI. If you don't self-impose limits, it seems to me that the disparity between the effectiveness of human use of artillery units and AI use of the same units just got even wider.

Catt
Catt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2003, 15:25   #3
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 08:10
I am ambivalant, I vote yes anyway. I hate busted the cities down before capture, so I skimpped on bombardment, no I do not have to skimp.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2003, 15:25   #4
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 07:10
No, it's unrealistic and makes it too easy to beat the AI.
Old November 9, 2003, 16:07   #5
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

I'm still curious why this was changed.
Sarxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2003, 16:22   #6
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 13:10
I wont vote until Ive seen for myself when I get my mits on conquests, but I think its been changed because most people said they did not like bombardment the way it was before.

Unless the AI uses it more effectively then it looks to be too powerful, but time will tell.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
ChrisiusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2003, 16:24   #7
Fatwreck
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 14:10
where is the banana option ?
Your method equals wipe out
Fatwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2003, 16:56   #8
Pyrkaige
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Chieftain

As someone who rarely used artillery at all in standard/PTW Civ3, I find this a very useful change. The main reason against it seems to be that it makes stacks of artillery too powerful, which really works both ways. As long as the AI makes the same moves (and it does seem to be using artillery itself a bit more), this is a non-issue.

Of course, ideally this would be a variable within the editor, so that everyone could have the level of damage to units, population, and improvements that they enjoy.
Pyrkaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2003, 17:08   #9
WarpStorm
King

Another thing I don't like is the inability to damage infrastructure if that was your intent. Say you were just planning on bombing a city with a barracks hoping to take out the barrracks with a lucky shot so that the defenders would stop healing. If they have more defenders that you brought arty, it can't happen now. So much for strategic bombardment.

At least Air bombardment works right anyway.
Old November 9, 2003, 17:21   #10
Fosse
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4WDG Stratega
King

Local Time: 06:10
No... I don't have Conquests yet, but I agree with the others that it makes artillery more unbalanced against the AI and is unrealistic... Plus... WS has it right, sometimes you just want to destroy infrastructure.
Fosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2003, 17:35   #11
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

don't care for the change.
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2003, 17:41   #12
G'Kar
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

I'm still unsure but I voted no.
G'Kar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2003, 17:56   #13
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

ideally, there should be an option on what to target that you set globally, or per unit.

a little button that says "aim for buildings", or "aim for units". i mean, come on, did people really blindly fling rocks at dirt? and in the modern era, ww2-style artillery can't aim well enough to pick a target?
Old November 9, 2003, 18:24   #14
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Ok, I'm not a big artillery stacker, so I didn't try it out yet. But does it:

when you fire 10 arty at a city with 3 defenders, after the 3 defenders have each taken a hit, does it then go for infrastructure if there are leftover arty?
Old November 9, 2003, 18:41   #15
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

WarpStorm I am not sure I understand what is unbalanced as compared to PTW or CivIII. If you are coming with a large stack of arties, you are also coming with a lot of troops. At that point the AI is toast anyway, so all we are talking about is wither it is worse to bust up the city or the units first? Am I missing something.

I mean when the humans sends stacks of arties and gets to the civs city, that city is gone. The only issue is how much will be captured and how much will be lost to capture it.
Often players will raze the city and move on or drop a settler in place.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2003, 19:12   #16
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Many of the non-cultural improvements are often lost when you take the city, anyway (e.g., market, harbor). Arty focusing on troops just makes it easier.

Perhaps the change was made to assist the AI, who is supposed to use arty now (not that I know -- yet).

If there were stacking limitations in the game, then limiting arty to 3-6 in a tile at the end of a move could work, but the game doesn't seem to be aware of the concept.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Jaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2003, 19:15   #17
Kaos XIII
Warlord

I agree with everything that Warpstorm wrote, about it NOT being realistic.

Sometimes I have no intention of taking the AI city, I just like to obliterate it. Destroy all their buildings and kill most of the people.

But now the fun is gone.
Old November 9, 2003, 20:09   #18
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Fatwreck
where is the banana option ?
darn, beat me to it (that's usually my line )
Old November 9, 2003, 20:11   #19
Kuciwalker
Deity

Oh, and I voted no.
Old November 10, 2003, 03:26   #20
PrinceBimz
Prince

I am not 100% sure what I think about this yet, but I am leaning towards "no" so I voted no. It is less realistic and like warpstorm mentioned, you cannot attack structures even if you intended to. Besides, if land and naval are like this then air should also be the same. It does make artillery more useful but I always thought it was useful and worked good enough anyway.

I have an idea for this which I think would be good and more realistic. All bombardments (artillery, naval, air) should be put back to how they were, random hits on units and structures. Then they can create a new "spotter" unit. If this unit is adjacent to a targeted bombardment location, you can choose what to attack. Example, allowing you to choose either structures or units. This can work for everything, even planes. So if you don't have a spotter unit then whatever you hit in the targeted location is random.

Just an idea
Old November 10, 2003, 04:16   #21
player1
Emperor

With just 2 choices it's a biased poll.

Old system was absurd and supported bombard city to 1 pop strategy (which is also totaly unrealistic, since you would obliterate city even before you do any significant damage to units, not to say that if any hp damage to units is done in one round it will be healed in next).

It also made catapults pretty much pointless (automatic 50% miss chance, plus bombard 4 vs buildings defense of 16).

On the other hand,
new system never targets building which is not so good too.

At the end, I was foced to choose a lesser evil: NEW system
player1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2003, 04:23   #22
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I like it. For SP it means I don't need stacks of 8 or 12. 4 or 6 will do. Less fuss for desired result. If I move a stack to that city, I AM going to take it. Not having to blow the hell out of the population and improvements just means less time consumed moving more units around.

For MP? Ho ho. No longer will the plan be to reduce pop to reduce defence of the defenders. It will be more 'pure' war game. Units on units, as it should be.
notyoueither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2003, 04:29   #23
player1
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
I like it. For SP it means I don't need stacks of 8 or 12. 4 or 6 will do. Less fuss for desired result. If I move a stack to that city, I AM going to take it. Not having to blow the hell out of the population and improvements just means less time consumed moving more units around.

For MP? Ho ho. No longer will the plan be to reduce pop to reduce defence of the defenders. It will be more 'pure' war game. Units on units, as it should be.
Well said.
Old November 10, 2003, 04:39   #24
Gunter
Warlord

Local Time: 12:10
I am still waiting for the game from lazy Amazoners

BTW Does the editor allow to customize the bombardament ? I mean if it allows to choose among units,buildings and both ?

Gunter
Gunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2003, 04:56   #25
player1
Emperor

Hmm...

I just remembered somethibng.

If land bombardment doesn't target buildings and if city has barracks, then players need to make sure to do as much damage as possibile in one round, otherwise enemy units will be healed.

Who said that it would be too easy?
Old November 10, 2003, 05:43   #26
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

But catapults and cannons won't ever hit city walls which was the primary reason why they were used in siege warfare.

And artilleries not hitting barracks? Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't barracks among the most important targets artilleries are looking for?
--Woody Allen
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2003, 05:46   #27
Sarxis
Emperor

Yup. I've gone through this already vs. the AI - where I didn't bring quite enough artillery and units, and I'd have to strike again with another wave later.

Just don't know still. Proper collateral might be better.
Old November 10, 2003, 07:01   #28
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Quote:
WarpStorm I am not sure I understand what is unbalanced as compared to PTW or CivIII. If you are coming with a large stack of arties, you are also coming with a lot of troops. At that point the AI is toast anyway, so all we are talking about is wither it is worse to bust up the city or the units first? Am I missing something.
Well, yes and no. I think you're right on about stacks of artys and stacks of troops. If the human player is really winning in a major way and the war is swining in your favour. sure. They can make artys the vultures only and with enough forces you can take any city.

The question is seige like play. The fact of the matter is, not all players can dominate in every game, and it was a major exploit to just send a stack of arty to hammer away from a hill, destroying market places, barracks (this is a big one) and other improvements while your main force arrives.

Hitting units only, and not an improvement like a barrack, means that defenders get to fully heal each turn. This makes wars harder. And artys stack of doom weaker. And I think the arty stack of doom remains viable as an industrial age tool. So it's not like the whole strategy has been thrown to the wolves, just that AI gets to play or a more even playing field, and this will make those ill conceived foreign adventures even harder since artys can no longer be relied to soften up cities for several turns to conserve troop losses. We have to find some other way... and I think that other way is to send even more units.

In anycase, AIRPOWER have lethal bombard and will knock out troops inside cities as well as reduce poplation. So that still works. But we won't get it until the late game.

Last edited by dexters; November 10, 2003 at 09:11.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2003, 09:04   #29
mimi
Warlord

Certainly do...why spend my money developing stuff when it was already there on the day of conquering... what's the point of "owning" a size 1 town with no improvements when it used to be size 10 with everything?
mimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2003, 09:11   #30
Gunter
Warlord

BTW Does the editor allow to customize the bombardament ? I mean if it allows to choose among units,buildings and both ?

Thanks

Gunter
Gunter is offline   Reply With Quote