View Poll Results: Do you like the change to bombardment (so city improvements are never hit)?
No, it's unrealistic and makes it too easy to beat the AI 48 53.33%
Yes, it makes artillery more fun and useful 42 46.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 10, 2003, 09:16   #31
Ijuin
Prince

Local Time: 21:10
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Hmmm how about bombardment goes the old way (randomly shoots at population, improvements, or units) in the early game, but when you get Radio (and hence radar), you get to choose which one to target? This would be sort of like how you get the Precision Strike capability in aircraft when you get Smart Weapons.
Old November 10, 2003, 11:04   #32
Stuie
King

Local Time: 08:10
If Arty only attacks units in cities, I think I'll be putting the "collateral damage" flag to use in the editor.
Stuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2003, 11:27   #33
nuther
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:10
I voted Yes. Its better because you dont need 20 to 30 arty per stack now. That figure was way off base. It should help the ai and it should help preserve city population points, which will also preserve city defense multipliers. Going from size 20 to size 1 in a turn was just not right either.

Still, I like the idea of some cities turning into rubble a la Stalingrad. But that should be a rare occurrance. As long as bomber can damage stuff, then I guess its good. That makes planes worth more.
nuther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2003, 16:20   #34
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 14:10
hi ,

even today with gps bombs etc , ..... they still get put in the wrong place , so the vote is NO , its unrealistic

have a nice day
Panag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2003, 16:49   #35
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

I voted for the new system.

By the way, before C3C you had to destroy any walls (for land bombardment) or coastal fortress (for naval bombardment) before you could hit anything else. Is this still true? I hope so.
alexman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2003, 17:29   #36
Cookie Monster
King

Local Time: 07:10
Wish there was a vote for undecided which is where I stand on the issue. I need more time with the game to see.

Anyway I do love the fact that archers now take a shot at you before you attack the main defender of the stack!
Old November 10, 2003, 18:39   #37
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

I never used bombardment in Civ3, but with the new system I might start using it...
Old November 10, 2003, 19:50   #38
WarpStorm
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Stuie
If Arty only attacks units in cities, I think I'll be putting the "collateral damage" flag to use in the editor.
Except that it doesn't do what you think it does.

It does an infrastructure bombard when your unit succesfully does a regular melee attack.
Old November 10, 2003, 20:01   #39
JSRHINO
Settler

How does C3C deal with Precision Strikes, are we given an option now to strike particular units or improvements, or is that still decided by the random selection despite being "Precision Strikes"?
JSRHINO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2003, 20:08   #40
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

Though I, obviously, don't have C3C yet-I still voted NO!!! I really liked the fact that bombardment was not as clear cut as it was in Civ2!! It was this philosophy in Civ2 which led to the boring 'Howie Rush' strategy of the late game!!!
Personally I think the best way to do things would be for early bombardment units-such as the trebuchet and catapult-to have a VERY high chance of hitting improvements, followed by units and then population (perhaps a 50%;40%;10% split, respectively). Cannons and Artillery, on the other hand, would have a slightly higher chance of hitting units, with perhaps a 40%;50%;10% split. Last of all-Radar artillery would have the BEST chance of hitting units, with a 70%;20%;10% split!!! These are just rough estimates, but would still make bombardment units useful in the capture of a city, whilst still incorporating the element of 'collateral damage' which still dogs military forces, in real life, to this day!!!

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.
The_Aussie_Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2003, 20:19   #41
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

I was a fence sitter, but opted for "yes" for the new system.

I do agree with several comments regarding the lack of choice in the target. You should be able to tell your artillery to target troops OR infrastructure. However....

targeting a barracks in modern warfare - YES. Realistic. Powerful bombs in a suprise attack could take out a series of buildings on a military base (that's a barrack, right?).

However, taking a catapult and hurling rocks at a "barrack" - NO. It doesn't seem to make as much sense to me when using rocks. Even if you did level a military building with big rocks....the Lead Pikeman tells all the other pikeman to meet in a different building or field to sharpen their pikes. Instant new barrack. heck, it could be a field for the warriors.
Shogun Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2003, 20:33   #42
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

I'm still a little divided on the issue, but I'm starting to lean towards the current system more.

But I still think there's something better out there.
Sarxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2003, 08:41   #43
Stuie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by WarpStorm

It does an infrastructure bombard when your unit succesfully does a regular melee attack.
Ah! Thanks for the clarification Warp.

I hadn't turned it on yet anyway. The new system is kind of growing on me.
Stuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2003, 09:12   #44
Cookie Monster
King

Quote:
Originally posted by WarpStorm

Interesting. I think I could live with that.
Old November 11, 2003, 11:14   #45
Fosse
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4WDG Stratega
King

Local Time: 06:10
It seems to me that the new system has simply made human invasions even easier, with bigger, better bases and more troops left when the dust settles.

Unless the AI takes full advantage of this then it's a change that simply tilts the scale MORE in favor of the player. In addition to this, it is unrealstic and takes away a strategic option from the player....

Remember when you had to decide whether to take a city with its population and infrastructure (basically) intact, or whether you wanted to use arty and save a few more lives of your troops?

The new change...
1. Improves the player vs. the AI
2. Removes a strategic option
3. Less realistic

I know that not everyone plays the AU mod.. but these three are in EXACT contention with its mission statement... and I think that goes a long way to show how wrong minded it was.

edited for typo

Last edited by Fosse; November 11, 2003 at 16:12.
Fosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2003, 11:17   #46
duxup
Chieftain

I would have liked changes made to the bombardment for modern units to be a bit better at hitting units rather than the city.

However, if in fact now they never hit city improvments, then no, I do not like that change. Far too unrealistic.
duxup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2003, 12:58   #47
PrinceBimz
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Fosse
It seems to me that the new system has simply made human invasions even easier, with bigger, better bases and more troops left when the dust settles.

Unless the AI takes full advantage of this then it's a change that simply tilts the scale MORE in favor of the player. In addition to this, it's unrealstic and takes away a strategic option from the player....

Remember when you had to decide whether to take a city with its population and infrastructure (basically) intact, or whether you wanted to use arty and save a few more lives of your troops.

The new change...
1. Improves the player vs. the AI
2. Removes a strategic option
3. Less realistic

I know that not everyone plays the AU mod.. but these three are in EXACT contention with its mission statement... and I think that goes a long way to show how wrong minded it was.
Nicely said. Exactly what I think.
Old November 11, 2003, 13:11   #48
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

I haven't voted yet. I've played one game, not all the way out (I have a grand total of 1 cannon, heh), so I'm hesitant to judge. But it does sound like it makes things a bit easier.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Arrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2003, 13:18   #49
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 05:10
I haven't had enough bombardment experience with C3C to form an opinion yet,

but I think the "realism" issue is a little specious. You just have to rationalize that the defenders are entrenched on the outskirts of the city rather than within it.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Jaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2003, 13:39   #50
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

I don't have C3C, but I can safely say I don't like this idea. I, for one, agree with the notion of wanting to whittle down the city's population so a culture flip is less likely.

Since older bombarding equipment was less precise, it is much more realistic to have a lot of collateral damage. Only with an advanced technology (like, oh, precision bombing?) should the artillery be able to target troops specifically. This would also be in line with more modern sentiments of warfare in terms of avoiding civilian casualties.

Having pinpoint-accurate cannons is simply absurd. And if the AI continues to be artillery-stupid as it is in PtW, it will just give the player another exploit.
Old November 11, 2003, 15:04   #51
player1
Emperor

And bomb to death (1 pop, 0 buildings), with most troops intact, like in PtW, is "soo realistic".
player1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2003, 15:31   #52
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

It's not entirely realistic, but it is moreso. Look at what happened in Afghanistan and Iraq. We could bomb the bejeezus out of cities, but the enemy forces can go underground and avoid the shelling, escaping with minimal damage. Military units can hide, buildings can't.

It would of course be better had they simply fixed bombardment so that there was a greater chance of hitting military units along with the destruction of improvements. For some reason, however, they didn't want to do that...
Old November 11, 2003, 16:21   #53
Fosse
King

Quote:
Originally posted by player1
And bomb to death (1 pop, 0 buildings), with most troops intact, like in PtW, is "soo realistic".
True, but the stacks that people were using to shell AI cities often included a dozen or more artillery units for every handful of offensive ones shelling the city for several turns. I know Civ doesn't have any specific ratio of game units to real life representations, but it could be argued that the lack of realism found in 1 pop, 0 building cities was because of the unrealistic army compositions and extended periods of bombardment.

In truth, would like to see buildings most likely to be hit and destroyed (maybe 90% of successful bombardments), and the rest split between population and units.

This is because loss of life in cities under bombardment tends to be low compared to infrastructure destroyed. The deaths that do occur usually are because of loss of infrastructure... This would be represented well in Civ3 because Bombardment would destroy the infrastructure that keeps the city happy and working, which would eventually lead to too many citizens for the infrastructure to sustain so they starve to death.

However... I feel that the realism argument takes a big backseat to the fact that the change makes it much easier for the human without helping the AI. According to game balance, which should decide all, it was a poor idea.
Old November 11, 2003, 16:24   #54
Fosse
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaybe
I think the "realism" issue is a little specious. You just have to rationalize that the defenders are entrenched on the outskirts of the city rather than within it.

You konw this is just "spearmen are actually carrying AK47s," right?

I'd agree with you, Jaybe, but the change does still make conquest even easier.

-Fosse
Old November 11, 2003, 17:00   #55
player1
Emperor

Quote:
This is because loss of life in cities under bombardment tends to be low compared to infrastructure destroyed. The deaths that do occur usually are because of loss of infrastructure...
Don't forget that infrastructure also includes things like housing and other "non-strategic" buildings, which are not represented in Civ3.

So, even in new system, bombardment probably destroys some buildings, although not key ones (like Marketplace or Factory).
player1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2003, 19:14   #56
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

maybe some people have not seen it yet , but check the editor out , " collateral damage " is great , ......

have an incoming day
Panag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2003, 19:16   #57
WarpStorm
King

Except that collateral damage doesn't work for bombards It is only for melee attacks.
Old November 12, 2003, 02:13   #58
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Yea, panag,
Collateral Damage looks great in the Editor. Too bad it's broken. It doesn't work in the way that the editor help says it does; in fact, it seems to do nothing at all.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old November 12, 2003, 02:23   #59
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Quote:
However... I feel that the realism argument takes a big backseat to the fact that the change makes it much easier for the human without helping the AI. According to game balance, which should decide all, it was a poor idea.
It is infact not easier for the human players, unless you consider cracking a size 12 city with entrenched defenders easy.

Taking a large city whole has few benefits. First few turns it's in chaos and resistance with be significant, forcing large number of troops to stay back to quell resistance or prevent flips.

Yes, you get lots of pre-builts buildings, but it's a trade off, not an advantage. Previously, you can just station artys on a hill to bombard a city to size one, and divert a cavalry from another stack to give the city a final 'coup de grace' kill. That's no longer possible pre-flight.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2003, 02:43   #60
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by dexters
It is infact not easier for the human players, unless you consider cracking a size 12 city with entrenched defenders easy.
Oh, this is going to be SO much FUN!! ...
When I finish my current game and start a mod where the fortification bonus is 50% (up from 25).