View Poll Results: Do you like the change to bombardment (so city improvements are never hit)?
No, it's unrealistic and makes it too easy to beat the AI 48 53.33%
Yes, it makes artillery more fun and useful 42 46.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 23, 2003, 17:36   #91
steven8r
Prince

Local Time: 06:10
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Mr.WIA,

You can still economically cripple your opponent w/ Artillery. You just have to red-line all the defenders w/in the city first. If you continue to bombard, the improvements and/or Citizens will be destroyed.

You can also still use Arty to destroy the Improvements around a city. That will criple their economy as well or better than losing banks, etc.

I had one game where my AI opponent had Sun Tzu's which gave them a Barracs that I couldn't destroy. I bombarded the city until all the defenderes were down to 1 hp and kept going. My bombardment then took down various improvements as well as citizenry. Of course, the next turn, the defenders were back up to full hp so I had to wear them down again before I destroyed any more improvements.

Artillery is still useful--just as it has always been--It's just that now, you have to wound all the 'Artillery Projectile Catchers' before you start hitting improvements.
Old November 23, 2003, 20:51   #92
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 00:10
Local Date: November 3, 2010
I realise that, but I still think it stinks. Where there are two vet defenders that means 6+ Artillery of some form unless they are Artillery (Industrial Age) or higher up. Probably more ssing as some will miss. This is encouraging a SOD rather than discouraging it. In the situation I talk about, I would rather have a tonne of Infantry protecting a few Arty that can snipe away at a fwe different cities - kinda guerilla tactics to wear down the opponent, not have to build a SOD.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
MrWhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2003, 11:18   #93
steven8r
Prince

Local Time: 06:10
Mr.WIA,

I have just found out that Bombers work the way Artillery used to. I guess since Bombers are now Leathal (both Land and Sea) when you bomb a city, it uses the old formula (defender, improvement, citizen), not just the defenders.

If you want guerilla tactics to randomly bomb something inside a city, use Bombers now.

Something else I've noticed about bombardment: When you use ships to bombard a city, they will automatically hit any Naval Units w/in the city before hitting anything else or any other defenders. After any ships in the city have been redlined, then it will target land-based defenders.

If the AI is using Naval Bombard against you, put some kind of ship inside your city to 'catch' the bombs.
Old November 26, 2003, 23:31   #94
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 00:10
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by steven8r

If you want guerilla tactics to randomly bomb something inside a city, use Bombers now.
Well that is something, so thanks steven8r. However I would still prefer to have the option earlier on, and for the enormously cheaper cost of Arty (especially if I've had them from Cats all the way through the game).

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
MrWhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2003, 12:00   #95
Sombra
Settler

Local Time: 12:10
Quote:
Originally posted by Fosse
It seems to me that the new system has simply made human invasions even easier, with bigger, better bases and more troops left when the dust settles.

Unless the AI takes full advantage of this then it's a change that simply tilts the scale MORE in favor of the player. In addition to this, it is unrealstic and takes away a strategic option from the player....

Remember when you had to decide whether to take a city with its population and infrastructure (basically) intact, or whether you wanted to use arty and save a few more lives of your troops?

The new change...
1. Improves the player vs. the AI
2. Removes a strategic option
3. Less realistic

I know that not everyone plays the AU mod.. but these three are in EXACT contention with its mission statement... and I think that goes a long way to show how wrong minded it was.

edited for typo
both thumbs up for the post above

The new system is the dream of every military commander in history, taking cities intact without killing the population or destroying the city in the process....

I am against the new system,

it invites to abusse artillery, taking away the headache to sacrifice troops if you want to take a city intact or simply annoy the enemy with random shots.... I am disappointed
Sombra is offline   Reply With Quote