View Poll Results: How do we act on the Greek front?
A1: Encircle the Greeks as in the proposed plans 7 25.00%
A2: Move east from the south/center and attack this way 1 3.57%
A3: Wait for the Greeks to get out of Demo and bribe them. 1 3.57%
B1: Take out the Eastern city's first 9 32.14%
B2: Take out the Greek core first. 1 3.57%
C1: Scout east with alpines 9 32.14%
C2: We'll see whats there when we send in our army. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 9, 2003, 14:55   #1
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 14:10
Local Date: November 2, 2010
1842 Mow: The Greek Front.
We are progressing slowly on the Greek front, in this turn we captured Mytilene and Issus but further expansion east seems difficult by the Greek terrain.
(As it looks now its mostly hills and rivers = slow attacking)

Proposed overall plan:

Encircle the Greek core by building a RR to and taking Halicarnassus and moving east from there, building RR and taking the Greek northern rim of city's.

In the small yellow oval there is a road on the hill and river running east west, this looks like a Greek city and could mean a good base for further incursions into the Greek core.

I would like to request some alpines to explore the lands east so we can see what possible troubles lie ahead.

I would prefer taking the Greek eastern city's first as they will be less well defended.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	1842greeks1.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	56971  
Old November 9, 2003, 15:01   #2
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Greeks eastern city's
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	1842greeks2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	56973  
Old November 10, 2003, 14:18   #3
Sparrowhawk
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 07:10
I would like to see us attack both areas of the Greek resistance, with Alpine Troops moving to uncover the rest of the Greek core, followed by our railroad building engineers and our attack force.

Simultaneously with this, I would like to see our armies moving on the Eastern Greek cities and attacking them as well.

I see no reason why we should choose one option over the other.

One request of the Minister of War...we have a number of units (fanatics primarily) stationed south of Dominion to act as an early warning of Greek attack in the past. This seems unnessary at this time, and I don't beleive that Dominion has been in danger for some time, so can these units be used to help to encircle the Greeks rather then having them stationed far from where they are any use?

/me City Planner
Old November 10, 2003, 18:57   #4
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

I think our border Fanatics can be moved forward toward the Greeks, if we are prepared to encounter some enemy units on the way and keep our advanced skirmish line intact. Something for the MoW to consider...
Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old November 10, 2003, 20:22   #5
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 00:10
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Sounds like a good move to sound out that rugged Greek terrain with Alpines first since it may be tough. Do we have the units to commit to both spheres of Greece at once? If not then the less rugged East area does seem like the best choice.

Good recommendations.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old November 11, 2003, 00:07   #6
atawa
King

Quote:
Originally posted by cavebear
I think our border Fanatics can be moved forward toward the Greeks, if we are prepared to encounter some enemy units on the way and keep our advanced skirmish line intact. Something for the MoW to consider...
Good point , I have been looking at our city's too and will send a detailed report with units witch can be transported to the front.

We can also rehome an awfull lot of units, would the City Planner like me to make a list so he can incorperate this into his plans?
Old November 11, 2003, 00:10   #7
Sparrowhawk
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

If you can guarantee that our President will take the direction, sure you could do so, with the Military Units of course. I should point out however, that I suggested rehoming to our President in my last report, and while it seems some rehoming was done, I agree that much more can be done and had intended to suggest it in my report again, but if our Minister of War cares to assist with this, it would be appreciated.
Old November 11, 2003, 00:13   #8
atawa
King

Cool, I'll compile the list, mostly its our newly gained city's in former Zulu and American teritory though.

EDIT: I checked city's and we have 1 shield support in Argos, but with more units being build some other city's can run out of supported units soon.
Old November 11, 2003, 00:22   #9
Sparrowhawk
Emperor

Quote from my 1834 AD city planner report:

Quote:
One of my concerns is that we are reaching the unit maximum in some of our unit producing cities, and as I result I have suggested a few unit rehoming activities, but essentially if you rehome the recently acquired cities I do not beleive unit support will be much of a problem.
Edit:
One question this brings to mind that I had when preparing the City Planner report...My display of supported units only shows 8 units at most, yet some cities have 1 or more shields being used for support (so they have at a minimum of 11 supported units (not counting Fanatics or Diplomats).

My question is: Is there any way to enlarge the "supported units" section of the city screen to show all the supported units (because we have units all over the place, this would make things much easier)? I have tried various ways to enlarge the window, but nothing I have tried works.....any suggestions?

Last edited by Sparrowhawk; November 11, 2003 at 00:45.
Old November 11, 2003, 08:58   #10
atawa
King

There isn't
Old November 11, 2003, 10:17   #11
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
If you can guarantee that our President will take the direction, sure you could do so, with the Military Units of course. I should point out however, that I suggested rehoming to our President in my last report, and while it seems some rehoming was done, I agree that much more can be done.
I did some rehoming, since you did not give more detailied instructions.

You are right that I could have gone much further in trying to free up space. I have a radical suggestion that will make things easier for the both of us.

Why don't we disband some of our riflemen and use their shields to build offensive units? There is no real need to have all this defense that we do, now that we are in a Fundamentalist government and need not worry about unhappiness. In fact, I would argue that our defense at home could go down to 0 units in all of our cities.
Old November 11, 2003, 13:38   #12
cavebear
Emperor

When I saw the Defense Minister screen and noticed 131 Riflemen, I thought maybe we could profitably disband a lot of them. They aren't worth much for attacking walled cities, and we don't seem to have subtantial defensive requirements. For 3 Riflemen, we get a whole Cavalry, which would be more useful.

I do feel we should keep 1 defensive unit in even our most secure cities, though. Or are barbarians off the table now?

Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Old November 11, 2003, 14:22   #13
atawa
King

I feel 1 defending unit in most our city's would be sufficient. As our empire is connected by railroad one single attacker could run right through all our city's if they were undefended.

I'm not sure about disbanding them though, I rather send them to the Greek frontlines where they can be multistacked in forts and absorb the Greek attacks while we destroy whats left of Germany.

The AI tend to throw massive amounts of units against these forts so any unit that dies there will mean one less obstacle when our army's invade them
Old November 11, 2003, 14:46   #14
Ljube
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 13:10
No disbanding please.

And defend the cities exposed to barbarians with at least two units, just in case.
Old November 11, 2003, 16:00   #15
cavebear
Emperor

It would actually be more of a conversion. Move Riflemen into a city building a Cavalry or Cannon or whatever, rehome them, disband then and rush the rest of the new unit at reduced cost. One Cavalry/Cannon per turn per city. Use the Fanatics to defend stacked forts. What do we need any Riflemen for, anyway? And it would solve the problem of some cities supporting more than 10 units.

Old November 11, 2003, 22:02   #16
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

I like the idea of disbanding some of our superfluous Riflemen.

Quote:
Originally posted by atawa
I feel 1 defending unit in most our city's would be sufficient. As our empire is connected by railroad one single attacker could run right through all our city's if they were undefended.
Are Partisans popping up yet, Mr President?

I can never remember whether we need Guerrilla Warfare, or Communism, or both, to get Partisans. Once Partisans are in play, then we don't really need to worry about barbarians, or anything else.

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)