Old November 9, 2003, 15:00   #1
vee4473
King

Local Time: 07:10
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Scientific Leader
I just got Albert Einstein, the scientific leader!

yay. I like this addition to the game, to be able to enter an age of science, or hurry a wonder like other leaders.

I never played PTW before conquests, so forgive me if scientific leaders were in PTW and this is old news to you guys.

yay

none the less, a nice addition.
Old November 9, 2003, 15:07   #2
Louis XXIV
C4WDG Stratega
Prince

SGLs are new.
Old November 9, 2003, 15:07   #3
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 14:10
Quote:
so forgive me if scientific leaders were in PTW
They weren't. Congratulations!

You can use it to rush a wonder or to boost your science output.
--Woody Allen
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2003, 15:10   #4
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 14:10
Where do they spawn btw? I asssume it is in the capital?
alva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2003, 15:23   #5
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 05:10
Yes, the capital. With a long single line above the capital describing the event (partially blocked by the Science advance notice window upper right).
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Jaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2003, 15:32   #6
grappleman
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:10
are SGL's only available in the epic game? because i havent seen one in the scenarios yet....?
Old November 9, 2003, 15:36   #7
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by alva
Where do they spawn btw? I asssume it is in the capital?
That's the only place I've seen them so far
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2003, 20:22   #8
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 13:10
So these work to speed up science? Doesn't that mean the early tech lead is too easy to maintain?
DrSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2003, 20:26   #9
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpike
So these work to speed up science? Doesn't that mean the early tech lead is too easy to maintain?
Since its only for 20 turns, you probably can't get that much ahead in techs on a higher level. What it would probably mean for me is that I could spend a lot less on science and put the cash towards infra. I haven't used them for science yet, have always gotten them when there was a nice wonder ready to be built.
Old November 9, 2003, 20:48   #10
Louis XXIV
C4WDG Stratega
Prince

Is it possible to set whether they rush Great or Just Small Wonders?
Old November 10, 2003, 02:06   #11
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 08:10
Quote:
Originally posted by grappleman
are SGL's only available in the epic game? because i havent seen one in the scenarios yet....?
Just got one in Mesopotamia.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2003, 02:48   #12
dagta
Settler

I can no longer use Great Leaders to rush a Great Wonder production in the scenarios. Is this a change or a bug? Does anyone know?
-Dagta
dagta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2003, 02:55   #13
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Actually Dagta, I've noticed this too. I have a Great Leader but he can not rush build wonders - only create an Army..... so this is leading me to believe that only Scientific Great Leaders can rush-build Wonders....

Am I wrong here or is there some one else with the needed information to set me straight?
Old November 10, 2003, 02:55   #14
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

You can no longer use a great leader to rush a wonder period. You can use a Science leader to rush wonders.
The military GL's can rush small wonders and city improvements and make armies.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2003, 03:00   #15
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

And brings up another question....

Since I all ready have a (military) Great Leader just chillin' in my capitol (since it's too early in the game to build an Army with limited ratios - ie, an Army of Archers - PLEASE! ) .... will I ever get the chance of gaining a Scientific Great Leader while I maintain a Military Great Leader in reserve?
Old November 10, 2003, 03:29   #16
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

You could make it into an army and leave it safe in your capitol until you have more desirable units
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
ChrisiusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2003, 03:58   #17
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Ah, good point Chrisius....I didn't think about just building an army and leaving it empty.... Food for thought indeed. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old November 10, 2003, 04:01   #18
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 06:10
From the Nov 4th Apolyton Chat:

[16:30] <+Gobi> Yes, let's talk about leaders a bit.
[16:31] <+Gobi> There were two main goals with respect to leaders. 1) Make sure that peaceful
builders could get leaders too, and
[16:31] <+Gobi> 2) Make sure that there were still choices about how to use them once you
received them
[16:31] <+Gobi> Before warmongers got the most leaders and they always used them to rush
wonders
[16:32] <+Gobi> So now, you can still get leaders through military action
[16:32] <+Gobi> But we made two changes so you didn't always rush wonders with them
[16:33] <+Gobi> We made armies better, and we changed it so military leaders only rush small
wonders
[16:33] <+Gobi> You can now get Scientific Leaders by being the first to research a tech.

[16:33] can SGL rush GWs?
[16:33] <+bobT_Breakaway> yes they can
[16:33] <+Gobi> They can rush Great Wonders OR give you a bonus on scientific research for
20 turns
[16:34] Gobi - does that mean that there is a % chance of getting a SL when
you are the first to an advance for EVERY advance?
[16:34] <+Gobi> MrWIA: Yes it does. But the chance is small (about 5%)
[16:34] <+Gobi> Unless you are a scientific civ
[16:35] I thought 5% was for the Scientific civ, and 3% for everyone else (unless
they changed that at the last minute)
[16:35] <+Gobi> Trust Chieftess on those percentages ... I'm doing this from memory
kring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2003, 04:05   #19
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

But on a side-note, the question stilll remains -

Can you gain a Scientific Great Leader when you already have a Military Great Leader in reserve?

I know this might sound rather petty, but the answer will decide how I - and most likely others, will play future Conquests games (ESPECIALLY PBEM and Multiplay Lan/internet Games).
Old November 10, 2003, 04:08   #20
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

While I haven't done it myself, I have seen several credible reports of having both an SGL and MGL at the same time as well as having 2 SGL's at one time.

Last edited by kring; November 10, 2003 at 04:18.
Old November 10, 2003, 04:16   #21
kring
King

Check out post #21 here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showth...5&pagenumber=1

I haven't heard that you can get more than one MGL so I would think that limit is still in for MGL's.
Old November 10, 2003, 04:30   #22
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Here's one showing up.
notyoueither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2003, 05:39   #23
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

So I guess the answer is YES - Thanks to Kring and NYE (my, my haven't we been busy!...planning for the next PBEM Conquests...or is it just purely for Aployton University studies?!)
Old November 10, 2003, 08:00   #24
mimi
Warlord

Silly SGL - was playing a scenario and must've missed a popup or something 'cause this guy in a black suit suddenly came available to move. I'm sitting there wondering if this was part of the scenario, or what...

Then a couple games later (I get bored easily) I see a popup and there's the guy in the black suit again. Very cool and he can't get killed like my military ones always did...

Now... is it worth using him for research, especially since the only way I can get wonders is to rush them? I can't see how research would be worth it, but maybe I missed something?
mimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2003, 09:19   #25
vee4473
King

When I used the SGL for a research boost, it only shortened the time needed for the next tech by 1 turn, but I got him later in the game so the effect may not be as much, since techs cost more for the most part.

but, I also only had about 10 -12 cities, and i think the pedia says that the SGL increases science output of each city by 25%, so that would of course mean that the more large cities you have, the bigger the boost.

I'm imagining an empire of many many many cities that gets an SGL, that could have a more substantial effect.

Since, I rarely play games with tons of cities, the SGL research effect may not be that great for me, but it still helps. If only to allow me to pour resources into other areas.
Old November 10, 2003, 09:30   #26
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Hmm, if the effects aren't large we will probably see the same amount of boosted research as we do armies in vanilla.
DrSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2003, 09:55   #27
nuther
Chieftain

I got Isaac Newton during the first age. I used him for increased science. It sped up research by a turn or two. It was arounf the time of writing, literature, philosophy.
nuther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2003, 11:15   #28
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
You can no longer use a great leader to rush a wonder period. You can use a Science leader to rush wonders.
The military GL's can rush small wonders and city improvements and make armies.
well, that would explain things. I was wondering why I couldn't use mine to build the holy roman empire.
Old November 10, 2003, 12:48   #29
Backpack
BtS Tri-League
Prince

Bug Report - see my post at
http://www.apolyton.net/forums/showt...60#post2475360

Also - Look at the image in Kring's post above - He has two SGL's with the same name at the same time.

Check in the editor - there are multiple SGL names available.

Question: Has Anyone seen an more than a single SGL name in an epic game (or scenario)?

Thanks

Kevin P.
Old November 10, 2003, 13:09   #30
Traelin
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiberius

They weren't. Congratulations!

You can use it to rush a wonder or to boost your science output.
Hrm one thing I've always wondered but would forget to ask is whether or not the AI uses GLs to RB Wonders. Does anyone have verifiable evidence that they do?
Traelin is offline   Reply With Quote