Old November 14, 2003, 12:08   #61
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 08:10
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Okay, I'm officially jealous of everyone that got a SGL -- I'm still empty handed in this area.
Old November 14, 2003, 12:15   #62
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

The probability is quite low, and my limited experience indicates it's very streaky (random, even ). In my first game, played out to the end of the medieval era, no leaders (of any kind). My second game, played into the mid-industrial, 3 SGLs (within the span of 5 techs in the medieval age) and about 6 MGLs. My third game, played into the mid-medieval, nada.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Arrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2003, 12:20   #63
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 13:10
A long while back someone posted a techie thread about the streakiness in supposedly random events with Civ3. I don't recall if it was discredited or not in the end.
DrSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2003, 12:53   #64
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

I don't have *nearly* enough of a sample size to make an firm conclusions.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old November 14, 2003, 12:59   #65
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpike
A long while back someone posted a techie thread about the streakiness in supposedly random events with Civ3. I don't recall if it was discredited or not in the end.
I remember that thread... IIRC, to paraphrase many posters: an individual's experience was strongly linked to their perception which is an opinion, not mathematical fact. To be more blunt: You get a lot of success = probability works OR you experience a lot of failure = probability doesn't work.

For randomness not to work in Civ, there would have to be a fundamental breakdown in random number generations...one of the simplier things to program.

I'm sure someone is still going to argue this however
Old November 14, 2003, 13:20   #66
Stuie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Shogun Gunner
Okay, I'm officially jealous of everyone that got a SGL -- I'm still empty handed in this area.
Me too, and I've been playing with the Byzantines.

We should start a support group.
Stuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2003, 14:15   #67
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

The problem with that thread on streakiness (over at CFC, IIRC) was that it did not include any data. It's main argument was something like: "I'm an expert on this stuff, and from what I've observed by playing, the Civ3 RNG is streaky. When you start losing, stop attacking."

Dominae
Old November 14, 2003, 14:44   #68
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
In PTW the HG was Industrious. Is it now Agricultural too?
Yes - I checked the editor. In fact, the moment I heard about the new traits in Conquests I suspected the Hanging Gardens to be Agricultural.

And the Pyramids are Agr/Ind/Rel, which I don't like at all.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
lockstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2003, 14:47   #69
SirOsis
Civilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Who volunteers to keep track of every battle, the units, type of terrain, hp, etc to test this out?

I don't have the patience for that. I don't really think there is a streak. Sure there are times when my units just get beat back when I think they should win but over the length of the game it happens to the AI sometimes too. Is that a streak or just something that is bound to happen due to the law of averages?
SirOsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2003, 14:54   #70
Arrian
Deity

I shouldn't have used the word "streaky."

I was NOT trying to say that CivIII's RNG is screwy. In fact, to me, streakiness is just part of randomness.

-Arrian

Old November 14, 2003, 14:57   #71
Arrian
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by lockstep

Yes - I checked the editor. In fact, the moment I heard about the new traits in Conquests I suspected the Hanging Gardens to be Agricultural.

And the Pyramids are Agr/Ind/Rel, which I don't like at all.
Ah, thanks. Obviously, I should have checked myself the moment my GA triggered, but I got sidetracked. Luckily, my little empire was ready for a GA (in republic, many 7+ cities, FP built*).

-Arrian

* - though of course building it improved a couple of so-so cities to "core" and wrecked all the other so-so's.

Old November 17, 2003, 10:21   #72
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 12:10
Ok, back on topic...

The chance of generating a SGL comes only from being the first to research a tech. I remember reading somewhere that the chances are cumulative. Meaning the first time you research a tech first you get a 3% chance of a SGL. The second time there is a 6% chance. The third is 9%. And so on. My question, if this is true, does the % reset after you generate a SGL, or does it just continue to climb until it reaches 100%?
Donegeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2003, 10:55   #73
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 14:10
Quote:
Originally posted by donegeal
Ok, back on topic...

The chance of generating a SGL comes only from being the first to research a tech. I remember reading somewhere that the chances are cumulative. Meaning the first time you research a tech first you get a 3% chance of a SGL. The second time there is a 6% chance. The third is 9%. And so on. My question, if this is true, does the % reset after you generate a SGL, or does it just continue to climb until it reaches 100%?
hi ,

, and what ahppens if you where to get on the same turn a free tech and a new one that you have just researched , ......

on one tests conquests froze and a reboot was needed , .....

have a nice day
Panag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2003, 17:42   #74
NaZ
Settler

If you save your game before you discover a tech, and you have save random seed off, can you keep on re-loading to get a SGL, or do you just have to wait it out....?
NaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2003, 19:46   #75
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

You need to ask Fane7. Sorry I could not resist. I would imagine that you would have the same percentage each time to loaded it back up, so I would think that given enough tries it would work. That could be a lot of tries if this was the first time you beat everyone to a tech. Of course with RNG seed saved, it would never change.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2003, 23:07   #76
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 05:10
Quote:
Originally posted by donegeal
Ok, back on topic...

I don't believe that this is true. I believe the chances remain at 3% and 5% for non-scientific and scientific civs, respectively, each time you are the first to discover/research a free tech.

Although a relatively unimportant question, I wonder if SGLs are limited to when you "research" an unknown tech versus "discover" an unknown tech; i.e., can the free tech from Philosophy / free tech from ToE / techs from huts generate an SGL?

Catt
Catt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2003, 00:13   #77
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I can't say for sure, but I suspect that tech gotten for age advancements won't count for SGL generation.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2003, 00:19   #78
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 07:10
Quote:
Originally posted by Catt

I don't believe that this is true. I believe the chances remain at 3% and 5% for non-scientific and scientific civs, respectively, each time you are the first to discover/research a free tech.

Although a relatively unimportant question, I wonder if SGLs are limited to when you "research" an unknown tech versus "discover" an unknown tech; i.e., can the free tech from Philosophy / free tech from ToE / techs from huts generate an SGL?

Catt
you know, I got a SGL just today when I learned philosophy/code of laws. Unfortunately I didn't catch which created him, will check for the save, probably won't ahve it. Used it to build zeus, which has saved my butt in my current game.

edit: damn, don't have it. Luckily the wonder date gave me an exact target, but no saves near the date.
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2003, 14:40   #79
Pyrkaige
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:10
Quote:
Originally posted by Catt
You can certainly get an SGL from the free tech given at Philosophy; it happened a few games back to me. Presumably the same is true for ToE and any other "researched" tech (one where you choose which tech you're receiving.) Techs from huts are just given to you randomly and not researched, so there's a possibility that they don't work the same way. Time will tell...
Pyrkaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2003, 16:25   #80
Traelin
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Shogun Gunner
Well don't feel bad Shogun, I haven't gotten one either.

EDIT: OK one quick OT question, sorry folks. Shogun, where is Potomac Falls? I used to live in Fairfax.
Traelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2003, 17:16   #81
Shogun Gunner
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Traelin

Well don't feel bad Shogun, I haven't gotten one either.

EDIT: OK one quick OT question, sorry folks. Shogun, where is Potomac Falls? I used to live in Fairfax.
Just across the Fairfax/Loudoun county line, along the Potomac River.
Old November 21, 2003, 09:01   #82
Stuie
King

I got one!! I got one!!!

It took five epic games and a scenario (all with a decent tech lead by mid game) but I finally got a SGL. And yes, I rushed the Pyramids.
Old November 21, 2003, 09:08   #83
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

5 Epic games already? It's only been out just over 2 weeks!
DrSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2003, 09:11   #84
Stuie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpike
5 Epic games already? It's only been out just over 2 weeks!
Yeah, well... I don't remember what my wife and kids look like, and I'm terribly deprived of sleep.
Old November 22, 2003, 20:35   #85
Shogun Gunner
Emperor

I just got two SGL's late in the game. I was already so far ahead...it didn't matter. It feels good to finally get one. I can relate, Stuie.
Old November 22, 2003, 21:43   #86
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

I've gotten two in my current game. One with mathematics. Booyah, Zeus in like early in game! And one later (think invention) that I will use on Bach. (had prebuilds for leo's and sistine nearly finished)

but then I will go games without any, so...
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2003, 08:01   #87
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 00:10
Local Date: November 3, 2010
I have started three Epic Games so far, and got as far as early Medieval in two before deciding it was too easy and going back up to Monarch again ( I dropped to Regent for C3C to get used to the AI changes, expecting things to be tougher) for the third, which I am engrossed in now. I have got at least 2 SGLs by the mid Medieval time every time. Admittedly I have been in the tech lead for much of the game, but I can say I was first to only around 20 techs so far. I would not say, from my (again, admittedly )limited playtime that SGLs are not rare if you put a slightly higher priority on research than normal.

Also, I have so far got 7 (!!!) MGLs in the same time. The last 500 years have been warmongering (as the Byzantines), but no more than usual in a PtW game, and I have seen far more MGLs than I have ever got. I don't know whether this means my tactics are getting better or whether MGLs are now more likely to appear. This would be a sensible change with the nerfing of their rushing ability - just wanted to check if anyone else has noticed these things, because there's no way I will ever have the time to play the number of games I would need to to see a decent sample size.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
MrWhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2004, 01:12   #88
DSC
Settler

Well.. technically a military leader CAN rush a great wonder (at least partway).. just use him to rush a palace (if you can, im not sure) or a small wonder, then switch over to the great wonder and it'll be at least 1/2 done.
DSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2004, 10:07   #89
Ljube
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Unfortunately, you can't do that

Bring back military great leaders' great wonder rushing ability
Ljube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2004, 12:35   #90
gunkulator
Prince

Whoa! An 8 month thread ressurection.

I'll also add: don't do any disbanding in the city or forest chopping around it when you're prebuilding or you won't be able to switch to the wonder.
gunkulator is offline   Reply With Quote