Old December 14, 2000, 20:55   #1
Abendua Hogeitasei
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:08
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Eldorado
For some reason I had missed this scenario. Today, looking over the reviews at the Scenario League site I read Blacklove's review on Eldorado. Although my first impresion was that Blacklove was exaggerating a little bit the review excited my curiosity and made me give it a try. Boy, how glad I am that I played such a superb scenario! It is unbelievably good in all of its details. Blacklove wasn't exaggerating at all! I really believe I was stranded in the middle of the rainforest! Few scenarios have been able to capture my imagination the way this did.

I know there are other quest scenarios out there e.g Shannara and Spartacus. These two are in my opinion a little bit too overambitious (something like the tree branches not allowing you to see the forest). I prefer the Eldorado thrilling style: short, fast-paced and straightforward. Does anybody know if there are another scenarios like this out there?

Old December 15, 2000, 00:54   #2
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 00:08
Isn't Eldorado fun? There's a movie you can rent on the subject (if you can find it), called "Wrath of God", starring Klaus Kinski. It will add a lot to your understanding of what went on.

I can think of a couple of others that are "quest" type scenarios. One is Allard's great new scenario "River War." Another, if I can risk being accused of self-promotion, is "Prince of Darkness".

And if you like the jungle atmospherics of Eldorado, you might try "Slash and Burn" by Dan Scheltema, or my "Congo!".
Old December 15, 2000, 01:54   #3
Kull
lifer
King

Local Time: 23:08
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I just played El Dorado for the first time, and it really is enjoyable. VERY simple in many respects, but the atmosphere is great. As quest/adventure scenarios go, it's definitely much closer to River War than Shannara or Spartacus.

I do recommend "Prince of Darkness". At times it's downright scary!
Old December 15, 2000, 11:34   #4
Stefan Härtel
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

I love "El Dorado". I have never seen a scenario that was made with such care for detail, and especially with such love for the subject. It is definately one of my favourites.
Old December 20, 2000, 11:00   #5
Sable

Good morning, just testing something.

J.B.

(Thanks guys for your nice comments about this scenario)

Old December 20, 2000, 11:21   #6
Fiera
Emperor

Hola, Jesús, benditos los ojos! (Translation: Long time no see)...

Where have you been? Are you planning on something new for the Spanish Civ II Site? It's been long since the last update (yeah, I know, my site is way slower, but...)
Old December 20, 2000, 11:41   #7
Sable

Hi Juan,

As a matter of fact, yes, I've got some plans. I think you'll like them. I have been away awhile for personal reasons but I'm now back. I have to fix a few minor details before I update the site again.

On another topic, what happened to the Pizarro scenario? Did you send it to Benedetti finally? He asked me for my copy but I lost it...

Old December 20, 2000, 11:48   #8
Fiera
Emperor

Glad to know you're back!

And, yes, I'll send Benedetti the Pizarro scn as soon as I've corrected some litle things. As you suggested, I made a new map, bigger and much more accurate, turning thus the scn in an all-out-war one. But regretably I don't have much time to finish it, I hope Benedetti will be able to help me.

Btw, come to the Spanglish Forum to say hello.

I'm getting ready a Spanish version of my site, you will find some details there.

------------------
Rather be first in a village than second at Rome
Old December 20, 2000, 19:18   #9
Sable

quote:

Btw, come to the Spanglish Forum to say hello

I've been there more than once I've got plans on that too. But it would be advisable to get more people involved. I believe Jesús M and Manuel Palma have recently joined the Apolyton ranks. And there was also Shaka of whom I lost track a few months ago. And the Portuguese...

PS. What about the Castile scenario?

PPS. Gotta change my handle. Sable is too outdated, right Cam?

Old December 20, 2000, 22:01   #10
Fiera
Emperor

quote:

Originally posted by Sable on 12-20-2000 06:18 PM
I've got plans on that too. But it would be advisable to get more people involved. I believe Jesús M and Manuel Palma have recently joined the Apolyton ranks. And there was also Shaka of whom I lost track a few months ago. And the Portuguese...

Good, good, I listen to you... Yes, we need more people there, I'd be glad to have all of you amongst us. I believe I will get some more visits once I set up the Spanish version of the site. As a matter of a fact, I've already got it, and I'll host there a new scn by Hodad.

quote:

PS. What about the Castile scenario?

Stopped as well. But nearer the end than Pizarro. I think I have some pretty units and city icons, my best work so far, and that it could be a decent scn, but I need some help there as well, at least for the moment...

¡Gracias por el interés!

------------------
Rather be first in a village than second at Rome