View Poll Results: What further army's should we build?
A1: Switch from cavalry to cannons 5 25.00%
A2: Keep producing cavalry 5 25.00%
B1: Build more alpines 8 40.00%
B2: We have enough alpines for now 0 0%
A+B: Eat Banana's and make love, not war. 2 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 9, 2003, 15:42   #1
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 14:11
Local Date: November 2, 2010
1842 MoW: The state of our army's
We have by far the greatest and best equiped army on this planet

With close to 60 cavalry soon your MoW feels we have enough horses to feed.

While they are good for the attack on the Greek core due to their 2 moves I dont see the added vallue on our German front where we attack with railroads anyway.

I therefore proposes to switch from cavalry to cannons after the next batch is build.
(Same attackpower, 1 move less at 2/3 the price )

Another thing is I feel we need some more alpines, not only are they our best scouting units (They dont get killed as often as dips and they have 3 moves anywhere ) but they are also our best defence units.
We currently have 5 with another 2 in production, I would suggest another 5-10 be build asap for scouting duties in the Greek and middle lands.

/me Minister of War
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	1842units.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	56977  
Old November 9, 2003, 16:34   #2
Ljube
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 13:11
The secret of good commanders lies in small details. Not all are capable of planning and deploying meticulously each unit to its proper position in a coordinated effort to subdue the enemy forces regardless of their size or possible superiority in numbers or equipment.
Not all are able to realise their plans and perform in the best way in the heat of the battle.

The greatest Napoleon’s secret was his ability to coordinate perfectly the movement of his cavalry, infantry and artillery and to use his troops to the maximum extent of their capabilities. That is how he performed miracles like the victory at Austerlitz where he was outnumbered three to one.
Our Supreme Military Commander seems to show the same keen understanding of the principles of warfare and the implementation of combined arms coupled with the most efficient use of particular types of units. His many victories stand as proof of his abilities and we should trust him on this one and support his ideas related to the type of armed forces we need the most, for he alone knows best how to use them for our common benefit.
Old November 9, 2003, 21:54   #3
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 07:11
I voted for Calvary, since I don't see the point of cannons, since calvary have 2x as many movement points. We can use them twice in battle.

Once we hit 60 calvary then we can start building cannons to replace our losses.

Alpines are an excellent unit, the problem is finding the cities to build them, since to be useful they have to be on our front, and our front cities have had other concerns.
Old November 10, 2003, 07:46   #4
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
I voted for Calvary, since I don't see the point of cannons, since calvary have 2x as many movement points. We can use them twice in battle.
The problem with this is that after the first attack our cavalry are usualy so far in the red that we can only use them to walk into undefended city's ('If' they even have a second move left), and as we're attacking Germans and most of Greeks with railroads we realy dont need the second move.

Seeing that for the same quality unit we're paying 50% more I say switch to cannons.
We have enough cavalry to take out any city that we cant reach by RR.

Quote:
Alpines are an excellent unit, the problem is finding the cities to build them, since to be useful they have to be on our front, and our front cities have had other concerns.
Just build them in any city connected by railroad
Old November 10, 2003, 08:47   #5
shade
Civilization II Democracy Game
King

Q: If our Cavalry end up Far Infra Red, how will our cannons end up? they only have 1 defense while the Cavalry have 3.

Shade
Old November 10, 2003, 09:39   #6
atawa
King

A: Doesnt realy matter becouse we're not defending with them.
Old November 10, 2003, 10:03   #7
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

Voted for Cavalry... it's just an extra 50 g; the added attack and better defense seems worth it.

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old November 10, 2003, 10:15   #8
Ljube
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Seems not because we are never going to use either the added attack or the defence.

It appears atawa we're losing this one again. I need you to promise something. Promise you are going to poll this one again in a week and after that again and again and again until we educate the people enough to see the truth: Canon is superior compared to cavalry in our position.
Old November 10, 2003, 10:40   #9
atawa
King

Off course the people can vote whatever they like, only thing it means is we will only have 66% the attacking units, slowing us down considderably.

/me not sure anymore if he is the right man for the job
Old November 10, 2003, 12:55   #10
cavebear
Emperor

Let us keep roughly even numbers of Cavalry and Cannons available so that local tactical opportunities can best be taken advantage of. When I voted for Cavalry, we had more Cannons than Cavalry and it appeared the extra moves and the defensive advantage outweighed the cost. Now we have more Cavalry and our highly aggressive RR construction has decreased the value of open-field mobility.

And since Alpines move along RR just fine, keep building those, too.
Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old November 10, 2003, 13:54   #11
Sparrowhawk
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

If I may attempt to agree with both our President and Minister of War on the subject of Alpine Troops I think we should go ahead and produce them either in the cities on the front, or in cities along the Railroad network (as I suggested in my last city planner report, I will again suggest the commission of 5-10 Alpine troops as that seems to be the will of the people).

Ben's point that alpine troops can only be built in the front line cities is true in that the area we want to uncover is on the front (where there are no railroads). atawa wants to build them in cities with the rail connection, and while it would take them a while to get to the front (because of no railroads) I think it is necessary to do so, and after all the basic advantage of Alpine Troops is their ability to get where they are going quickly, so the lack of roads/railroads should be almost a non-factor.

/me City Planner

p.s. As for the Cannons/Calvary, I voted for Cannons (which tied it up), more because I don't wish to see this repolled week after week as lcjvetko suggests. The advantages/disadvantages of both are almost negligible in my opinion.
Old November 10, 2003, 20:18   #12
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 00:11
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Far be it from me, a mere servant with no access to the save, to distrust the opinion of the SMC, in a position that has brought the Imperium much glory.

Cannons it is.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old November 10, 2003, 20:48   #13
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

Quote:
Originally posted by ljcvetko
Seems not because we are never going to use either the added attack or the defence.

It appears atawa we're losing this one again. I need you to promise something. Promise you are going to poll this one again in a week and after that again and again and again until we educate the people enough to see the truth: Canon is superior compared to cavalry in our position.

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old November 10, 2003, 21:44   #14
cavebear
Emperor

Given our RR and non RR locations and requirements, I think we should indeed re-visit this question after each session. It's not a settled question that can be answered only way with certainty for all the game.

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old November 10, 2003, 23:51   #15
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Just build them in any city connected by railroad
Most of the unexplored areas involve cities not connected by railroad to the rest of the imperium.

I just want to get our calvary up to snuff before building the cannons, just so that we have the flexibility accorded from the extra move.

Here is my general tactical deploment:

1. Cannons to wound the garrison.
2. Calvary to mop up.

Now the Calvary having the same punch can do the first part, as well as the second, but the cannons cannot mop up with nearly the efficiency of the calvary.

So our first priority ought to be the calvary, followed by the cannons.
Old November 10, 2003, 23:58   #16
atawa
King

The unexplored area's lie in the current Greek and German core's, we can get units to the front either through Hannover or Issus, both are connected to the RR system, meaning we can now move all our army's from and to each front

And with the former American riverdelta close to being connected we have basicly unlimited movement

Since the Greeks and Germans are building alpines our win ratio will go down a bit, if the first unit attacking is going to die anyway we might as well build cannons and throw them against our enemy's.