Old November 11, 2003, 13:32   #1
Dactyl
Warlord

Local Time: 12:16
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Government in Conquests
Has anyone figured out the best governments to use? I generally like to play the Persians because I find the Immortals to be invaluable. In the past I'd start in Despotism, of course, then switch to the Republic once I had a handful of marketplaces built. It worked quite well but things have changed in Conquests. I try the same strategy there and I'm not generating much cash at all in Republic.
Old November 11, 2003, 14:15   #2
Gyromancer
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 07:16
Republic is much more of a peacenik government now. You need to keep a careful eye on the size of your army (and worker corps if you are not industrial) Also, growing your cities to size 7 early on is important. Don't be afraid to let those cities grow, even if you have to set entertainers or scientists to keep the peace. (Scientists give 3 beakers now!)

Since your army has to be small, concentrate on good unit quality and good unit types. (Appropriately enough, the Greeks seem to be one of the better non-industrial civs to be in Republic-- you can get a lot of mileage out of a few hoplites....)
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness... T. Jefferson "The Declaration of Independence"
Old November 12, 2003, 07:26   #3
grappleman
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:16
Fascism, if you're a warmonger seems to be really good, and believe it or not communism almost seems playable with the secret police headquarters and all. its a toss up but im going to have to sill say republic
Old November 12, 2003, 23:00   #4
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 08:16
I have to try out the Fascism...I may still be in the "old" Civ3 or PTW mode with governments.
Old November 12, 2003, 23:04   #5
Tassadar500
Emperor

Local Time: 05:16
I do not have Conquests so my opinions are just based on what people have said. Facism does not seem like a very good government because of the citizen loss you have when changing your government to Facism. Plus newly conquered cities are now worth much less in Facism because they have the "Zenophobic" flag.
Old November 12, 2003, 23:08   #6
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Agreed, but it gives the opportunity for radically different strategy...like, oh, i don't know...

WORLD DOMINATION THROUGH THE NAKED USE OF MY POWER!
Old November 13, 2003, 03:17   #7
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I have not taken a close look at it, but I think it is fine to put in something like Facism to just use. I mean it is ok to use some aspects of the game to have fun and not play using the best possibel strategy all the time. I like to play bad races in Moo2 to do something different once in a while.
Old November 13, 2003, 10:23   #8
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Quote:
Republic is much more of a peacenik government now. You need to keep a careful eye on the size of your army (and worker corps if you are not industrial) Also, growing your cities to size 7 early on is important.
Although, once you *do* get those cities up in size, and maybe eat another civ or two, Republic becomes a very effective warmonger government. With cities (7-12) supporting 3 units for free each, you can have a rather sizeable military. Especially once the initial flurry of terrain improvement is complete and you can add some workers to cities.

It's early on that switching to republic is questionable. In my current game, I actually held off and researched 3 more techs after I had republic, sticking with despotism until my cities grew a little more, and my armies had captured a few more cities/taken a few more casualties. I use a lot of workers (especially if non-industrial, of course). They were, IIRC, the most numerous unit type in my "army" for quite some time.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old November 13, 2003, 12:19   #9
Cookie Monster
King

Local Time: 07:16
Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian

Although, once you *do* get those cities up in size, and maybe eat another civ or two, Republic becomes a very effective warmonger government. With cities (7-12) supporting 3 units for free each, you can have a rather sizeable military. Especially once the initial flurry of terrain improvement is complete and you can add some workers to cities.
-Arrian
Good information here. Even in PTW and vanilla Civ3 it was important to have infrastructure and city size squared away before switching out of despotism.
Old November 16, 2003, 09:40   #10
sprudl
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 14:16
Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
It's early on that switching to republic is questionable.
So true in Conquests. I my current (and first) C3C game I was still stuck in PTW mode when switching governments. I usually go for republic after building infrastructure in the core cities.

Now I forgot completely about the increased unit costs and was running a huge loss. Switching back was not an option (non-religious). I managed to recover from that error by completely revising my military setup, mass disbanding and reducing research.

Next time I'll wait a little longer

However, it did show me how sloppy I had gotten with my military resources in pre-Conquests games. Now I'm much more efficient with my army.