Old December 24, 2000, 01:10   #1
donwebb
Settler

Local Time: 06:09
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Is this possible??
Apologies for duplication: I'm following a fellow conference member's advice and posting this query where it's likely to find someone who can tell me what I need to know.

Playing Civ2 classic on a Mac.

Is it possible to create a wonder and a city improvement? I don't see how it's possible simply by editing rules.txt or events.txt files.

I would like to create a Space Platform wonder that would put an SDI defense in all my cities. Preq. Laser, Space Flight. Prospective cost: 500 gold.

I would also like to create a hospital as a city improvement. Preq. Genetic Engineering, Cure for Cancer wonder in a rival civilization.

The reason for the hospital is that the Cure for Cancer wonder is great, but if a rival beats you to it, there is no benefit in researching Genetic Engineering.

The effect of the hospital would be the same as the Cure for Cancer wonder in any city in which the improvement is built.

The precedent for the hospital is, of course, the Apollo Mission and Manhattan Project wonders, which allow spaceships and nuclear missiles in every civilization that has the requisite advances.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Old December 24, 2000, 02:32   #2
Cam
King

Local Time: 15:39
quote:

Originally posted by donwebb on 12-24-2000 12:10 AM
Apologies for duplication: I'm following a fellow conference member's advice and posting this query where it's likely to find someone who can tell me what I need to know.

A fellow conference member? Who? Once again, I inform posters that it's against Apolyton forum reg's to post the same topic in multiple forums.

On your topic nonetheless, I hate to say "no it's not possible" having seen some extraordinary things done with the game, but in effect you need to remove and modify an existing improvement such as the Hanging Gardens for a 2nd WoW, or Colosseum for a straight city improvement.
Old December 31, 2000, 11:46   #3
MacUser
Prince

Local Time: 00:09
quote:

Originally posted by Cam on 12-24-2000 01:32 AM
A fellow conference member? Who? Once again, I inform posters that it's against Apolyton forum reg's to post the same topic in multiple forums.

I suggested that Don post his question here. It was not so much a duplicate post as it was a question that the Civ2-Mac Forum is not as likely to readily answer as the SLeague Forum. I think that the prohibition on duplicate posts has more to do with posting the same question on multiple Forums before waiting for anyone to answer. This should not apply to resubmitting the same question when the first query came up empty. Certainly, clearification from DanQ and/or MarkG is welcome.

------------------
Be what you is and not what you is not. Folks who do that are the happiest lot!
- Mr. Wizard the Lizard,
Old January 1, 2001, 01:33   #4
SCDARS
Civilization II Multiplayer
Warlord

Local Time: 07:09
Perhaps you should additionally try posting at the CTP / CTP2 Forums?
As far as I know, such things should be possible at least with CTP1...

But, honestly I don't think it ever was Don's intent just to increase his amount posts - I think he has already apologized himself...