Old December 25, 2000, 23:39   #1
Shadowstrike
Emperor

Local Time: 01:09
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Second Front - Strategy Discussion
I had a few hours to waste today, and I couldn't be bothered to work on a huge jigsaw puzzle I just got, so I was digging through my hard drive. Well, I found a copy of the original release of SF. I've been playing through it and this has been my best game yet. I'm only on Turn 10, and I've secured all of the landing zones but Ouistreham, and I have siezed Brevands, Grandcamps, and Creuilly, which I have never taken before (I'm not too great at games like this)...

I've found that pushing through the hedgerows with the Crocs on the Brtish front to be very effective. Anybody else want to shre their wisdom?
Old December 26, 2000, 18:57   #2
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 16:09
When advancing off the British beaches on D-day make sure that you don't over extend yourself. From part two onwards the Germans counter attack VERY strongly around Caen. My advice is to dig in to the beaches and the first row of towns south of the British beaches and use your air power to smash up the German armor.

On the American beaches I also recomend building up for a few turns before pushing too far off the beaches. By fortifing the paratroopers in the hedgerows next to the major roads you can stop German armour from bothering the American build up much.

------------------
If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error
-John Kenneth Galbraith
Old December 26, 2000, 20:09   #3
Shadowstrike
Emperor

I'm on part 2 now, and I've been wondering if there is any way I could sieze Bretteville (directly west of Caen) from Creuilly with armor and bombers? Or should I focus my efforts on Tilley and Villers Bocage?
Old January 1, 2001, 05:57   #4
Evil Capitalist
King

Local Time: 06:09
In part 1 you can make some good gains to the north of St Mere, meaning in part 2 you can fight your way to the outskirts of Cherbourg. Then, if you feel so inclined, add the Cherbourg event to the events file, take the city, and start mopping up on Cotenan
Old January 1, 2001, 15:10   #5
Shadowstrike
Emperor

I'm on Turn 12 now (haven't played much lately), and I occupy a solid beachead from Utah to Sword, with a reasonably good depth (I'm reaching the far end of the headgerows already on the British beaches). I think I can make Caen fall in Part III if all goes well. I've managed to destroyed a large number of tanks. Bombers are excellent against tanks and defensive positions, that are weaker at that time (i.e. blockhaus in Part I, Command Post in Part II)