Old May 24, 2000, 09:42   #1
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

Local Time: 19:02
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Question about Waiting

I'm playing someone who insists that at the end of my turn i wait for him to say i can end my turn. I suspect that he is incrementally buying his units and doesn't want to get stuck with something. He says that i was rushing through my turn purposely just to give him less time to check his cities, which i wasn't.

One thing i did do though was attack his cities at the very end of my turn and end it before he has a chance to build more things in the city and prepare for next turn.

The second time i did that and attacked he ended the game that day and said when we continue that he has to host so that i can't do that anymore. I don't think players are required to wait for each other in that respect, unless of course someone is in the bathroom or something.

So what do you all think? Is he just being a whiner or am i using an unfair advantage?

------------------
Metalhead Greater Sayen, and all 'round nice guy
Old May 24, 2000, 11:11   #2
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 18:02
HA HA HA HA! Great stuff!

Now, you raise an interesting point. I do city maintenance between turns to help speed up the game. Incremental buying is something else, and I will do so if the game I'm playing is one that it is allowed. In a game with 3 or more people, there is always enough time to do it, so there is NO need to make that request.
In a duel, it's a tough choice... you can slow things down by doing it during your turn, or ask for that favor of not advancing until checking.
But, like you, in a duel, I always attack at the end of my turn and advance quickly to keep the person from responding by rush buying something (the normal way, or incremental). I would never agree up front to wait to advance until the other player agrees.
There are some reasons as you imply to make that request for a specific turn... family crises to deal with... bathroom or dinner break... when that happens, I just don't attack on that turn
Old May 24, 2000, 14:00   #3
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 15:02
he is being a whiner.Big time.

next thing he say you cant send diplomats over.Or you cant attack with 2 movement units.You can't build wonders he is building.You can't build cities without his permission first.You can't attack until you tell me your entire plan.
<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by Smash (edited May 24, 2000).]</font>
Old May 24, 2000, 14:55   #4
Bohlen
Prince

How about..."You can't use WLTLD," or "You can't build cities on mountain squares." I wouldn't be surprised if that actually happened.

Your opponent is being a baby. It sounds like he/she is looking for any possible advantage. You must be winning, eh? I would be ashamed to put forth such a request and would be insulted if someone asked for such a thing from me. If you have a time management attacking strategy, well that's your business, as is the time that is allocated for your turn. You should be able to use as little or as much time as you like and to manage that time as you see fit. Surprising that someone actually has an issue about how you manage your turn.

------------------
Proud Warrior of the O.W.L. Alliance
Old May 24, 2000, 15:26   #5
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 15:02
ya really.Can you imagine someone complaining cuz you are moving too fast?

duels are a little different.In the beginning,its wise to do a little city management on your turn.Particularly if you are not hosting

who was hosting the first session?If it was you I'd say he was probably making NON units
<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by Smash (edited May 24, 2000).]</font>
Old May 24, 2000, 15:36   #6
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

Local Time: 19:02

(can't believe i'm being devils advocate in my own situation, but here it goes)

one thing though is that due to lag and whatnot i end up having very much more time to check my cities during his turn then he does during my turn when i'm hosting. While he is moving his lagged units i can tweak everything in my cities and then he has to hurry up before i end my turn.

In the last game i did indeed tell him i wasn't going to wait for him any more, and then after that his turns kept getting longer and longer, he no doubt was attending to his cities during his turn, and it slowed the game way down.

The solution i've come up with is no more waiting and we alternate hosting every time we play whether he likes it or not, hehe.

------------------
Metalhead Greater Sayen, and all 'round nice guy
Old May 24, 2000, 16:49   #7
Curumbor Elendil
Prince

I've been playing with someone who makes the same request of me, that I wait at the end of my turns. He always makes it when I'm attacking, so I'm sure it's for buying stuff (incrementally or otherwise). But I sometimes screw him by letting him say "ok" and then sabotaging him before letting the turn switch over. heh heh

------------------
Curumbor Elendil
jason.sorens@yale.edu
ICQ 56126989
Old May 24, 2000, 20:24   #8
finbar
Civilization II MultiplayerMac
Emperor

Local Time: 01:02
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Can't say I've ever had this request made of me. If I did, I'd be tempted to ever so politely tell the person to get stuffed.

------------------
finbar
Mono Rules!
<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by finbar (edited May 24, 2000).]</font>
Old May 24, 2000, 20:30   #9
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

I'm with you. The only time I will honor that type of request is for...
1. New player takes over AI and is sorting things out.
2. First turn of the night on a continued game so people can recapture the flavor.
3. A personal request to take care of an family related task.

Otherwise, stuff it.

RAH

The ferrets got a great laugh on this one.
Old May 24, 2000, 20:57   #10
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

And my cats laughed as well...

Time management is a part of the game. I will add that, as a person who doesn't host (no DSL or cable here), I am always on the short end of the lag. I live with it; it's not my opponent's problem.

Deliberate time management (the decision on launching attacks so as to leave the opponent less time to react) is even more natural. Life is like that. Tell your opponent to take up timed chess or something.
Old May 24, 2000, 23:53   #11
Empress
The Empress

Local Time: 17:02
Huh? that's odd. I don't see why you should have to wait for him to say "ok". when you finish your turn, you finish your turn and should move on. Period!
Old May 25, 2000, 07:59   #12
MacUser
Prince

Local Time: 17:02
Ya gotta love the Oz expression "Get stuffed!" Much more fun to read than "Get @&#&!"

Like everyone eles said: "Waa! Waa! Waa!" If you need more time on your turn take it and get over it! Lag is a problem for everyone periodically, but lag alone does not a lousy player make! I think a ferret might have said that....

------------------
Different is GOOD!

AOL IM--JacSamDad
Old May 25, 2000, 08:54   #13
hydey

I think you are all too harsh
how else is someone going to get none sttlers for all of his cities and non units that don't upset people when outside of cities in republic

very reasonable request for a big CHEAT tell him to get STUFFED and then crush him

Old May 25, 2000, 20:02   #14
Chuckles39

i agree with the NON unit idea more than the lag idea. Ozzy, if you doubt him/her, then don't play. if there is no trust, there is no game...

Old May 25, 2000, 23:45   #15
suas333
Prince

Local Time: 23:02
Being able to attack at the end of your turn, so that the other player can not respond with a rush buy, is very useful and used often.

However, in a multiplayer game, say 4 players, a player that moves just before another player will have the advantage of using this while the other would not. So in a multi player game, this method would not work both ways, as it would a duel.

suas333
O.W.L. rebel
Old May 30, 2000, 09:32   #16
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Good point suas333... that's why in a 3 or more person game, I will usually attack the player that moves right after me if that is one of my options. Nothing better than catching them with their pants down, and having all the time in the world to respond to any return action from them