Local Time: 07:23
Local Date: November 2, 2010
LOL, dexters.
Old November 22, 2003, 03:02   #332
Greek Stud
Settler

Local Time: 12:23
Wow! I'm more confused than a Turk inside Hagia Sophia?

You all really know a lot about the configuration of the game. The bug I noticed was in the Fall of Rome scenario, I was playing as the Persians, or whatever they were called at that time, and I chose not to change to Imperialism. But you don't get to have a revolution after that, when I wanted to... I don't know why that happened but it kinda sucked.

Γεια Alex! Μιλάτε τα ελληνικά; Εάν όχι, κατόπιν εντάξει. Εάν, κατόπιν είστε δροσεροί.
Greek Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2003, 08:18   #333
Doc Tsiolkovski
Chieftain

Statement:

I *love* the Ivory/ ToZ thing. Please do not change that, BA.

Just seems mainly those people who always want to be able to build all wonders are complaining here.

See it that way: With the new scarce resources, this simply gives you one more chance if you end with no Iron or Horses, and considering the underlying terrain, it isn't very likely to have both Iron and Ivory now.

Wonders requiring resources was always in DyP (for example, all the 'Churches' require Incense), and it is working nicely there.

A totally different topic: I already posted about that here, but it looks like the point was lost:

The localized .biq files may be inconsistant with the US/ English version, the need to be carefully checked.
At least the German one is messed up, s.v. Feudalism, and have a look at this:
http://www.civ2-forum.gamigo.de/atta...&postid=231301
Since I've never seen anything like this mentioned elsewhere, I suppose it's also caused by the German .biq
Doc Tsiolkovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2003, 10:04   #334
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 08:23
Quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tsiolkovski
Just seems mainly those people who always want to be able to build all wonders are complaining here.
That's sort of right. I rarely am able to build all the Wonders, but I want the option to build all of them. "No, no, sorry, Leonardo's Workshop is reserved for the civs on the other continent" is not something I (and many others) would like to see.

Quote:
See it that way: With the new scarce resources, this simply gives you one more chance if you end with no Iron or Horses, and considering the underlying terrain, it isn't very likely to have both Iron and Ivory now.
Strategic resources are still fairly distributed. Just load up a few maps in the editor and you'll see for yourself. The chances of not having Iron or Horses and being close to Ivory are very slim.

Quote:
Wonders requiring resources was always in DyP (for example, all the 'Churches' require Incense), and it is working nicely there.
There's so much to do in the DyP mod that I'm sure you never miss stuff because you have no access to a particular resource! Players miss the SoZ in the standard game when they do no have Ivory.

Dominae
Old November 22, 2003, 11:06   #335
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Doc Tsiolkovski, I added the Feudalism bug for the german version back when you first mentioned it. It's the first item under "Other bugs".

As for the ToZ and Ivory debate, I don't think the right solution is to completely remove the resource requirement, because the AI already has most of its cities building Wonders in the late Ancient age as it is. If all the AI can build the ToZ, then it will be one less city for them to build settlers and units. (In fact, with the current strange desire of the AI to build the Oracle as its first Wonder, I was thinking it might be better to make even the Oracle require incense or something, so not all the AI waste their time building it, but that's another story and doesn't really belong here).

There are arguments for both changing the ToZ and leaving it as it is. The ivory requirement adds flavor, and helps the AI, but it also has the potential for very unbalanced maps in MP, and removes a cool Wonder from the build decisions most players have to make.

For now, I'm leaving something about the ToZ/Ivory in the first post, because even if it's not a universally acknowledged problem, it's definitely a commonly stated problem.
alexman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2003, 11:58   #336
donZappo
Warlord

Alexman, I see in the strategy forums that you're going to be away from Civ for the next week? Does that mean you won't be around to contribute and add to this thread? That would be a shame since it seems like this thread might be useful to Breakaway/Firaxis and the next patch can't be too far off. Also, why are the AI so intent upon building wonders during the ancient era? Would this be something that could even remotely be addressed in a patch. or is that something that the AU community has to deal with itself? Maybe the "flavors" added to the game could deal with this somehow.

-donZappo
donZappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2003, 12:20   #337
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants

Yes, I'll be away for a week (I'm out the door as we speak), but I might be able to get online for a few minutes every other day to update this thread.

As for AI Wonder building, it's not that the AI builds Wonders that hurts, it's that it builds every available Wonder at once. This is usually not a problem, especially when there is no more room to expand. It's only somewhat of a problem in the ancient Age in C3C with the addition of all these new Wonders. I doubt this would be addressed in a patch, because Firaxis/BA knew of the problem even during beta testing (as mentioned in Sulla's site).
Old November 22, 2003, 12:39   #338
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

You don't want to have a Revolution in Fall of Rome.

All human players start in Tribal Council.

In that scenerio, T.C. has the Democracy level corruption and unlimited support for military units.

The only other govt in that scenerio is Imperalism, which in that scnerio is Despotism level of corruption!

Quote:
Originally posted by Greek Stud
Wow! I'm more confused than a Turk inside Hagia Sophia?

You all really know a lot about the configuration of the game. The bug I noticed was in the Fall of Rome scenario, I was playing as the Persians, or whatever they were called at that time, and I chose not to change to Imperialism. But you don't get to have a revolution after that, when I wanted to... I don't know why that happened but it kinda sucked.

Γεια Alex! Μιλάτε τα ελληνικά; Εάν όχι, κατόπιν εντάξει. Εάν, κατόπιν είστε δροσεροί.
joncnunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2003, 12:47   #339
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Guess this might not be easy to fix; but why the heck hasn't ANY of the AIs declared war on Rome yet? It's now past turn 50, most of the barb tribes have finished the barb unique section of the tree, those that don't have at least Pillaging. (I sold Maurding and Pillaging at major discounts hoping for them to use it.) I in fact entered the "Rome Fights Back" era and finished the Scrouge of God wonder while my forces are marching to take on the Bryz., and have now decided to turn reseach down to 20% to support upgrades of units. The Persians still don't have Fortification.
Old November 22, 2003, 14:04   #340
thetoxicyears
Settler

Local Time: 06:23
I'm not sure if this is a bug or if I'm doing something wrong. When I click Load Game from the main menu no .biq files show up in folders I know their in. Anybody else have this problem?
thetoxicyears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2003, 15:36   #341
Backpack
BtS Tri-League
Prince

More Suggestions
Alexman, - Please start including a version number in your first post that you update after each edit. - This thread has been so productive and gone on for so long that I feel I need to review the top post before posting, but I am sometimes unsure if there has been a change since the last time I reviewed it. - Also I want to make sure that people working on the patch don't miss an update or change to our sugestion list, this is for thier benefit

Easy Fix:

Update both the C3C and the PTW editor help with the correct information regarding resource distribution ratios.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showth...threadid=69502
Not everyone reads the boards.

Debatable - Might be easy fix:

Make the 4% of tiles used for resources modable in the editor. (See same thread above for description) - Note for gameplay, map generation, as I understand it, this number is only used after strategic and lux resources are placed. It limits only bonus resources. A moddable percentage would be beneficial to those making resource intensive mods (copper, timber etc) using up most of the available slots and those like me who prefer a 'bountiful' eden like world.

Thanks again

Kevin
Backpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2003, 16:03   #342
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by thetoxicyears
I'm not sure if this is a bug or if I'm doing something wrong. When I click Load Game from the main menu no .biq files show up in folders I know their in. Anybody else have this problem?
Load game is for saved games, from the save folder. Biq will be in the civ-content for maps you created or down loaded.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2003, 05:23   #343
Kuratko
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:23
Another bug
I have noticed another bug, sorry if this has been already reported elsewehere:

If you mod the game so that a worker action requires a resource (e.g., so that Clear Wetlands requires Saltpeter) and you do not have the resource, the Clear Wetlands button is disabled (correct) but the Automated Clear Wetlands is still available and can be used even if you do not have the resource (bug).
Kuratko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2003, 09:39   #344
Gyromancer
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1

If one was to list all the things that have been mentioned as things the AI needs to do, it would be very long.
My point is that the AI has some of the problems we have, it can not do all the things it would need to do at the same time.
Everything can't be a priority. Now you get down to giving some serious thought as to what needs to be be done next and that is often not easy for even the human, let alone the AI.
I don't think it would be too much to add logic to the AI so it would build ONE harbor with high priority if it has contact with civs that it can't trade with, and then build other harbors as it needs food. I can''t imagne a good human player not building at least one harbor when there are luxes to be traded for....
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness... T. Jefferson "The Declaration of Independence"
Gyromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2003, 14:04   #345
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Gyromancer

I don't think it would be too much to add logic to the AI so it would build ONE harbor with high priority if it has contact with civs that it can't trade with, and then build other harbors as it needs food. I can''t imagne a good human player not building at least one harbor when there are luxes to be traded for....
It probably can, my point is not that idea A or B or a few others could not be implemented. It is that how many could be and should be added? I don't know that answer. I would suspect that if the AI was made smarter, it would not be a good thing for game sales.

This is because unlike some of the players here that can beat the game at all levels, most of the casual players can barely beat it at Chief. As a publisher I would not want to make the game harder and lose those people, just to make it tougher for the serious players. I have their money already. So where is that line, I don't know.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2003, 14:27   #346
alexman

Re: More Suggestions
Quote:
Originally posted by kwpulliam1973
Alexman, - Please start including a version number in your first post that you update after each edit. -
I'm not sure an arbitrary version number will be better than the 'last edited' date at the bottom of the post, which gets edited automatically. Also, I try to add new items at the bottom of each section so that they can be easily found.

Kuratko: are you sure resource required worker actions don't work? I don't remember being able to railroad tiles when I don't have iron or coal, and I use shortcuts.
Old November 25, 2003, 16:40   #347
Dimorier Maximus
Warlord

I think that Feudalism should not require maintenance. It has absolutely no practical benefits over Republic if you want to increase in technology, and it has no real benefits over Monarchy if you want to fight. I think they should make all versions like the German version and take away the cost for buildings under Feudalism...otherwise it has absolutely no strategic purpose in the game and is a complete waste.
Dimorier Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2003, 17:00   #348
Backpack
BtS Tri-League
Prince

Cool - I never noticed the last edited date before !

Another suggestion - Have victory conditions 'grey out' instead of disappear from the Victory status page. - Playing a non-domination game at the moment, and I find that I already rely on those percentages for an accurate assessment of where I am in the game. Now without them, I feel uninformed.

Thanks

Kevin
Old November 25, 2003, 19:42   #349
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by kwpulliam1973
Cool - I never noticed the last edited date before !

Another suggestion - Have victory conditions 'grey out' instead of disappear from the Victory status page. - Playing a non-domination game at the moment, and I find that I already rely on those percentages for an accurate assessment of where I am in the game. Now without them, I feel uninformed.

Thanks

Kevin
That's a great idea, good for comparing your civ to the nearest opponent.
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2003, 20:24   #350
joncnunn
Emperor

In partial answer to mine own question:

Looks like the AI is programed never to accept alliances against a player unless at least one of you is already at war with them.

And wars have now started, athough some of them are misguided but typical AI behavior. (They are ganging up on probably the weakest AI barb tribe.)

Quote:
Originally posted by joncnunn
Guess this might not be easy to fix; but why the heck hasn't ANY of the AIs declared war on Rome yet? It's now past turn 50, most of the barb tribes have finished the barb unique section of the tree, those that don't have at least Pillaging. (I sold Maurding and Pillaging at major discounts hoping for them to use it.) I in fact entered the "Rome Fights Back" era and finished the Scrouge of God wonder while my forces are marching to take on the Bryz., and have now decided to turn reseach down to 20% to support upgrades of units. The Persians still don't have Fortification.
Old November 25, 2003, 20:25   #351
joncnunn
Emperor

Re: Another bug
That bug was in Classic Civ III 1.29f as well.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kuratko
I have noticed another bug, sorry if this has been already reported elsewehere:

If you mod the game so that a worker action requires a resource (e.g., so that Clear Wetlands requires Saltpeter) and you do not have the resource, the Clear Wetlands button is disabled (correct) but the Automated Clear Wetlands is still available and can be used even if you do not have the resource (bug).
Old November 25, 2003, 20:28   #352
joncnunn
Emperor

I'm thinking that when multi-city elimation is enabled, I'd like to see how many cities each civ has lost and not just one civ.
Old November 26, 2003, 14:29   #353
alexman

joncnunn, I'm not familiar with multi-city elimination mode, but if you can format your suggestion into an easy solution (in the pattern of the first post), I would be happy to add it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dimorier Maximus
I think that Feudalism should not require maintenance.
The problem is that the AI then never switches out of Feudalism. That's why they changed it to what it is now.
Old November 26, 2003, 17:34   #354
WarpStorm
King

It was too good of a government, it wasn't just the AI that didn't want to switch. I usually didn't in the beta either. It worked awesome with a dense build strategy (actually, it still does).
Old November 26, 2003, 18:30   #355
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

Not really a bug but, from what I've been reading around the place, I'm getting a sense that the improvements which build treasure units, or Wonders that build a certain unit every X turns, can become a 'little tedious' for some players! My suggestion then, would be for Firaxis to implement some way for players to 'switch on/switch off' these improvements and wonders depending on the players current needs! Anyway, just a thoiught!

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker.
The_Aussie_Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2003, 21:43   #356
statusperfect
King

Local Time: 14:23
Anal graphic nitpicker report #3

Is the Secret Police HQ supposed to look like a medieval asian building?? This HAS to be a mixup of some way...

If there are no graphics for this small wonder is suggest using the european manor one.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	namnlφs.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	58167  

Last edited by statusperfect; November 26, 2003 at 21:51.
statusperfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2003, 23:40   #357
HeadHoncho
Settler

You have my compliments. This is an incredible list! I hope they take the suggestions to heart.
HeadHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2003, 00:09   #358
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Yes, the no maintenance Feudalism very potent. Powerful enough that you would change your entire game strategy to exploit it to its fullest. That's not necessarily a bad thing (see SMAC's governments). I think the goal with Feudalism was to create an alternative to Monarchy/Republic in the Medieval era, not fundamentally change how the game is played.

The current version of Feudalism perhaps falls a bit short in terms of power, but IMO that's preferable to the monster it could have been.

Dominae
Old November 27, 2003, 06:43   #359
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 13:23
Quote:
Originally posted by statusperfect
Anal graphic nitpicker report #3

Is the Secret Police HQ supposed to look like a medieval asian building?? This HAS to be a mixup of some way...
That's just a ruse. It's real form is, well, a secret.
DrSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2003, 06:55   #360
statusperfect
King

Local Time: 14:23
Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpike
That's just a ruse. It's real form is, well, a secret.
You are kidding me. It looks like a ninja Santa Claus mansion.
statusperfect is offline   Reply With Quote