Old November 17, 2003, 19:50   #241
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Local Time: 08:23
Local Date: November 2, 2010
statusperfect: Warpstorm has said that Firaxis has already fixed some corruption issues.
alexman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2003, 20:00   #242
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:23
re enslave as warriors...

You do know that unit upkeep is free for all captured units, right?
notyoueither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2003, 20:02   #243
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I'll second the Irrigation under Despotism and Curragh/Galley AI observations alexman just listed. What's funny is that the AI also apparently likes to put Mines on Plains now too! The faster the AI gets out of Despotism, the better.

Another observation: the Aztec AI builds Jags much later than it should. It seems to think that they're good complements to Swordsmen. In the early-game, Warriors, Archers and Spearmen are preferred, even though Jags are there ready to be built. The new "MP-friendly" Jag is definitely at the expense of its role in SP.

Dominae
Old November 17, 2003, 20:25   #244
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 07:23
Quote:
Originally posted by alexman
Also, with the addition of Wonders to previously low-priority required techs (Mathematics and Polytheism), the AI now usually ignores Literature until the Middle Ages. If you give Literature a benefit already given by Writing, such as Military Alliances, there will be no difference in game play, but the AI will research Literature earlier.
I've noticed this, quite a problem. Who cares about hte G. Library after you've already gotten mono, feudal, invention etc. needs to be fixed.
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2003, 20:54   #245
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

This was on Monarch, I guess the AI might have a bonus worker on this level.

Might be easist to fix this exploit by making workers totally non-sellable,

Quote:

There are no workers in the capitals you mention!

The workers you bought were probably the bonus workers the AI gets for difficulty level. Not an easy fix.
joncnunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2003, 21:37   #246
SirOsis
Civilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 13:23
PediaIcons.txt
In my attempt to add Austria to the game I came across this:

I noticed in the PediaIcons.txt that under the neutral victory there is an error in the #RACE_BYZANTINES section. Isabelle is the leader head when it should be Theodora. Change the following line: art\leaderheads\x_isabell victory neutral.pcx to art\leaderheads\X2_Theodora advisor.pcx

Austria is also not included in this file so any reference in the civlopedia shows a question mark unless the following lines are added:

#RACE_AUSTRIA
art\leaderheads\x2_Charles_V victory neutral.pcx
art\advisors\x2_Charles_V advisor.pcx

#HAPPY_RACE_AUSTRIA
art\leaderheads\x2_Charles_V victory happy lg.pcx

#SHAPP_RACE_AUSTRIA
art\leaderheads\x2_Charles_V victory happy sm.pcx

#LKISS_RACE_AUSTRIA
art\leaderheads\x2_Charles_V victory kiss lg.pcx

#SKISS_RACE_AUSTRIA
art\leaderheads\x2_Charles_V victory kiss sm.pcx

#ANGRY_RACE_AUSTRIA
art\leaderheads\x2_Charles_V victory angry sm.pcx

#ILOVE_RACE_AUSTRIA
art\leaderheads\x2_Charles_V victory heart sm.pcx

#LOVED_RACE_AUSTRIA
art\leaderheads\x2_Charles_V victory heart tiny.pcx

#LHURT_RACE_AUSTRIA
art\leaderheads\x2_Charles_V victory beatup lg.pcx

#HURTN_RACE_AUSTRIA
art\leaderheads\x2_Charles_V victory beatup sm.pcx

#ICON_RACE_AUSTRIA
art\civilopedia\icons\races\x2_Charles_V civpedia lg.pcx
art\civilopedia\icons\races\x2_Charles_V civpedia sm.pcx
SirOsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2003, 00:17   #247
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants

Quote:
Originally posted by Dominae
the Aztec AI builds Jags much later than it should. It seems to think that they're good complements to Swordsmen. In the early-game, Warriors, Archers and Spearmen are preferred, even though Jags are there ready to be built. The new "MP-friendly" Jag is definitely at the expense of its role in SP.
I didn't realize that the Aztecs can build both Warriors and jags now! It's because Jags are more expensive now, but still, their UU should replace the Warrior! This has to be a bug.
Old November 18, 2003, 00:47   #248
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I believe the idea behind allowing the Aztecs to build Warriors was so that they could build cheaper units for upgrade to Swordsmen (15 Gold saved, yay!), as well as have a cheaper early-game scout unit that would not trigger a GA. There was (rightly) a big a worry that the Jag was going to be really bad in SP. Unfortunately the effect to the AI went unnoticed, I presume.

Either that, or (if my memory is failing me), it's a bug.

Dominae
Old November 18, 2003, 01:18   #249
Risa
Apolyton University
Warlord

Local Time: 20:23
It's unlikely a bug. When I played Aztec, I found JW's icon in Warrior Code tech, which is one of default tech of them. I think it is an intentional change.
Risa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2003, 01:46   #250
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 12:23
Alex, just a wording issue with Catt's suggestion about making the AI NOT declare war on the human when they are half the world away.

Perhaps add "and AI" to make it apply to us and the AI civs. I think it's also better if the AI doesn't do this between themselves.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2003, 02:39   #251
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Risa
It's unlikely a bug. When I played Aztec, I found JW's icon in Warrior Code tech, which is one of default tech of them. I think it is an intentional change.
no, that was intentional. they now require warrior code. yes, you start with it, but thats the requirement now. it's used to sort of justify the shield increase.
Old November 18, 2003, 02:43   #252
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Regarding the Jaguar Warrior: My fírst thought also was 'This HAS to be a bug'. But Risa is right: Jaguar Warriors need Warrior Code now - seems like a design decision. The first UU that doesn't replace another unit. (I remember Firaxis wanted to do the Conquistador as an 'additional' UU in PtW, but eventually decided to make it replace the Explorer.)
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
lockstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2003, 05:35   #253
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 14:23
Quote:
A couple of AI observations:

The AI in Despotism irrigates grasslands again for no reason, after it was fixed in PTW not to do so. Sigh.

The AI starts building boats only after it has reached about half the OCN (which was increased in C3C, by the way), or after it has run out of room to expand. The result is that it very rarely builds curraghs.
hi ,

seems to be long term thinking , the AI seems to do it when no roads or whatever is needed , and at a later stage the grass is all used , ......

have a nice day
Panag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2003, 10:48   #254
hobbie_tp
Settler

This is not really a bug fix, but more a small suggestion. It's confusing on big maps to see all citys on the mini map. So it would be great if you would have the possibility to switch them off and see only the the colours of the different countries - similar to the button to display only the terrain of the world. Thanks!
hobbie_tp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2003, 12:04   #255
alexman

hobbie_tp, could you please post a screenshot of such a confusing mini map? I don't usually play on huge maps, so I haven't noticed the problem.
Old November 18, 2003, 12:05   #256
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Re: republic free unit support...

I'm all for it, but it might be too strong. 1/2/3 might be better than 1/3/4. That, plus the 2g per unit over the limit upkeep cost, ought to balance it out.

It's either that or drop the upkeep back to 1g per unit and drop the free unit support... basically taking it back to PTW's version of republic. Frankly, I'd be fine either way.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Arrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2003, 14:40   #257
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

With 1 gold per unit for all units Republic is overpowered, full stop. As such the method chosen in Conquests should definitely nerf Republic, at least slightly. The way chosen is only good if its turns out the nerf dominates the buff.

It might, I haven't decided yet.......but I remain unconvinced.
DrSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2003, 19:05   #258
hobbie_tp
Settler

Hello alexman, here's a screenshot of a game on Marla's map, it's 256x204.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	minimap.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	57592  
hobbie_tp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2003, 19:16   #259
DrSpike
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpike
With 1 gold per unit for all units Republic is overpowered, full stop. As such the method chosen in Conquests should definitely nerf Republic, at least slightly. The way chosen is only good if its turns out the nerf dominates the buff.

It might, I haven't decided yet.......but I remain unconvinced.
Thinking about it a little more after playing tonight I am even more puzzled. Republic has been nerfed early game, and buffed late game. Even if the nerf turns out to dominate this really can't be the way to balance the govts. Republic should be a viable choice before the point in the game it is now, and late game should be dominated by democracy.

Far better would be to increase the corruption gap between the 2 representative govts, but make republic viable earlier than it is now with the 2 gold support per unit.
Old November 18, 2003, 19:23   #260
alexman

Or just give Republic a ton of free units (like 30), but no free units per city. That way it becomes great early, but increasingly worse as your empire grows.

Of course then you would have the problem of balancing Monarchy and Republic in the ancient age.
Old November 18, 2003, 19:23   #261
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

Actually, DrSpike, my solution to the Republic 'Problem' was to have TWO distinct types of Republic-a Classical and Modern Republic! The classical republic is the one you get in the Ancient age! It has lower War weariness and unit support cost, but higher corruption levels AND you have forced labour to hurry production! This simulates the kind of Republic which Ancient Rome and Carthage had! The Modern republic is available with Democracy (along with Democracy Gov.) has higher war weariness and unit support, but lower corruption and has paid labour! Also, each type of republic has it's own unique Small Wonder!

Anyway, I hope this helps you, DrSpike !!
The_Aussie_Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2003, 19:49   #262
DrSpike
Deity

Quote:
Or just give Republic a ton of free units (like 30), but no free units per city. That way it becomes great early, but increasingly worse as your empire grows.

Of course then you would have the problem of balancing Monarchy and Republic in the ancient age.
Yes, and it doesn't address the distance between Republic and Democracy. I think the best answer lies in increasing the corruption gap between the 2 representative govts. The unit support should stay as in PTW, otherwise Republic is too powerful as compared to Monarchy (like under your scheme) or doesn't come early enough, like the current C3C scheme.
Old November 18, 2003, 19:52   #263
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 05:23
Another Civil Engineer Display Bug

When a city using civil engineeres completes a build project, the drop down list of available builds from the pop-up do not reflect the effect of the CEs, even though once selected the map view of the city (and the city view) will show a build time that includes the CE effects -- and selecting "zoom to city" brings you a view of the proper build times for various builds in the improvement lists.

Should be an easy one since the proper build times are a readily available data point and the algorithm for the drop down build-time is either (i) making a data call to the wrong location, or (ii) is separate (?) from other build-time calculators and has not been updated for the presence of CEs.

Catt
Catt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2003, 19:52   #264
DrSpike
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by The_Aussie_Lurker
Actually, DrSpike, my solution to the Republic 'Problem' was to have TWO distinct types of Republic-a Classical and Modern Republic! The classical republic is the one you get in the Ancient age! It has lower War weariness and unit support cost, but higher corruption levels AND you have forced labour to hurry production! This simulates the kind of Republic which Ancient Rome and Carthage had! The Modern republic is available with Democracy (along with Democracy Gov.) has higher war weariness and unit support, but lower corruption and has paid labour! Also, each type of republic has it's own unique Small Wonder!

Anyway, I hope this helps you, DrSpike !!
This suggestion has some merit, but I don't think another govt will be added. Plus modern Republic would not really be differentiated from democracy.
Old November 18, 2003, 19:55   #265
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

Ummm, DrSpike, look at my suggestion !!! I think the problem with Republic in Civ3, generally, is that the enabling tech occurs around the time of the Roman Republic, yet the government they describe sounds more like our Modern Republics-like the US-which was never how Rome really was! After all, the ROmans and Carthaganians were more warlike, but Probably had big problems with Corruption in their far-flung cities! I doubt that they would have used paid labour to fast track most of their big construction projects either-but I could be wrong on this last point ! Still, I think there should be TWO types of Republic, and possibly even two types of Democracy (Classical and Modern) What do YOU guys think?

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.
The_Aussie_Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2003, 20:02   #266
alexman

Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpike

Yes, and it doesn't address the distance between Republic and Democracy.
It does, actually, because of the 2gpt unit mainenance.

But let's leave this discussion for another thread. It's likely that the designers will not do anything drastic to the Republic in a patch, especially not adding new governments, without testing it extensively first.
Old November 18, 2003, 20:05   #267
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 06:23
how would you differentiate them?

Jon Miller
Old November 18, 2003, 20:05   #268
DrSpike
Deity

Agreed. I wont ruin your easy fixes thread.
Old November 19, 2003, 12:44   #269
Greg1
Settler

In the Civ editor, if you choose an icon for a unit, you ought to automatically get the associated animation. If the animation is not available, then the icon should not be offered. As things stand, a guy like me who knows nothing about programming can't write scenarios using the animations that the various scenarios do (unless I modify the scenario, but that has its own limitations).
Greg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2003, 16:15   #270
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 14:23
Animations are not assosiatec with icons, but with the Civliopedia Entry...