Old November 13, 2003, 04:37   #1
rev
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:25
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Givin' up the cancer sticks
Hey guys,

I got pretty sick a few days ago, so I decided to use the opportunity to quit smoking cigarettes. I've been smoking for about two years now, and for the past year it's been about a pack a day. I'm done, though, because they're driving me crazy.

I'm now into day three and I haven't really felt any cravings, which is strange because usually after about twelve hours of not having one, I'm about ready to murder somebody.

When do the REAL cravings set in, and when do they end? I know they'll always be around, but when are you pretty much out of the woods? I want to have a goal to look forward to -- makes it harder to give into pressure.
Old November 13, 2003, 04:47   #2
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Ah, you were only smoking for 2 years, you should be ok.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old November 13, 2003, 04:52   #3
rev
Chieftain

True, but I'm a weak person.
Old November 13, 2003, 04:54   #4
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Meditation is key, remember this
Old November 13, 2003, 04:54   #5
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 05:25
good luck.

if you are concerned about weight gain, there has been research that says extra caffeine can help combat that.

but I doubt guys concern themselves with weight gain like women do .
Old November 13, 2003, 04:57   #6
rev
Chieftain

If anything, I *want* to gain some weight. I've been trying to gain weight for months, but all in all I've lost five pounds. :P
Old November 13, 2003, 08:28   #7
Sikander
King

I've quit several times and usually don't have any cravings at all. Perhaps because my inclination to quit was based upon feeling crappy, the physical addiction doesn't seem to count for much. Of course I've started smoking again each time after having weathered the physical addiction completely, which just goes to show how much of addiction is completely psychological, at least in my case.
Old November 13, 2003, 08:33   #8
Richelieu
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 08:25
Good for you!
Old November 13, 2003, 08:35   #9
MikeH
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-League
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 13:25
Re: Givin' up the cancer sticks
Quote:
Originally posted by rev
Hey guys,

I got pretty sick a few days ago, so I decided to use the opportunity to quit smoking cigarettes. I've been smoking for about two years now, and for the past year it's been about a pack a day. I'm done, though, because they're driving me crazy.

I'm now into day three and I haven't really felt any cravings, which is strange because usually after about twelve hours of not having one, I'm about ready to murder somebody.

When do the REAL cravings set in, and when do they end? I know they'll always be around, but when are you pretty much out of the woods? I want to have a goal to look forward to -- makes it harder to give into pressure.
First three days were the worst for me. It's supposed to take a month to get all the nicotine out of your system - good time to aim for.

Well done.

We've got both kinds
Old November 13, 2003, 10:17   #10
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Local Time: 07:25
Good luck, rev. Stay strong!

30 days is a good marker. Cravings will recur occasionally for years. Shouldn't be as bad for you, though, with only 2 yrs of history...

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old November 13, 2003, 10:23   #11
Spec
Emperor

Studies show that the body asks for nicotine for 36 to 72 hours, after that it is only psychological...Never the less, I never could stop smoking....I wish it were easy...

Damn you Imperial tabacco!! DAMN YOU!!!!

Spec.
Old November 13, 2003, 12:11   #12
MikeH
staff
OTF Moderator

First 72 hours is definitely the worst.

We've got both kinds
Old November 13, 2003, 12:15   #13
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

The next 72 ain't too great either. I'm just back after another failed attempt to give up.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old November 13, 2003, 12:32   #14
rev
Chieftain

I'm about 12 hours away from completing my first 72. I had some weird dreams late last night, then around 4AM I woke up and definitely had some cravings.

I think I can hold out. Someone advised me to drink a lot of water throughout the day to help clear the toxins, so I'm gonna start doing that, keep a tally drawn on my hand or something. And eat a lot. Mmm.

The one thing I regret about quitting is that I won't be able to perform my party trick anymore. It's a little difficult to do, but it's a good conversation starter. Some of you may have seen people dispense part of the contents of a bhutane lighter into their first, light it and create a fireball. Yeah, impressive.

Anyway, my trick is a bit more complicated and you need a lot of practice (though a few have done it in the first few tries). You fill your closed fist with bhutane (wait until it feels a little bit cool inside) -- fill it where your thumb meets your index finger, and make sure they're at the top so as not to leak bhutane. Place a cigarette in your mouth and light the top of your fist. Don't just let the fire explode and immediately burn away the bhutane -- control it long enough for you to put the cigarette above/into the flames and then release your fist, while inhaling through the cigarette.

Wah-lah, you just lit a cigarette with a fireball from your fist. My description may be a bit long-winded, but it's a pretty fun party trick and I've never seen or heard of anyone else doing it.

Please, carry the torch, so to speak.
Old November 13, 2003, 12:39   #15
MikeH
staff
OTF Moderator

I found that orange juice was good for helping with cravings, not sure if that was psychological or physical but it worked for me.

We've got both kinds
Old November 13, 2003, 12:44   #16
Snotty
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Good luck man. Day 7 is supposed to be a big day that people finally cave in, I know I certainly found it the biggest milestone after the first three days. Just make sure you stay out of pubs and clubs for a while, as I always found it hardest to stay off of them when in those situations.

Remember that when you do get a craving, it will only last a few minutes, and then go again. Knowing the craving will go away if you can hold out was a really helpful to me.

If you smoke weed, you might find smoking pure weed joints to be a great help when giving up. When you get a craving, roll it up. By the time you have finished rolling it the craving should be gone, and then you can save it until you next get a craving. Some people might argue this doesnt help with breaking the habit of smoking, just make sure you dont spark one up during work and you will be fine

One last thing, even if you do start smoking again, make sure you have learned some lessons for next time you give up. Every time I tried to quit and failed I learnt something new, and Ive been free and clear for over a year.
Old November 13, 2003, 13:56   #17
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

If you've had almost 3 days w/ few cravings then condider it a gift from God, and don't stop. If it gets too tough then aspirin will help. In fact I took an aspirin and a vitamin C ever couple hours for several days. Still it was hell, but I got the job done. Been years now...

BUT! If I have even ONE, I'm a full on addict again.

Never even have one!
Old November 13, 2003, 16:12   #18
st_swithin
CTP1/2 GODDESS

Be distracted - herbal tea, slamming your finger in a car door, masturbation, reading National Geographic, grout-scrubbing.
Old November 13, 2003, 16:14   #19
Whaleboy
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessMac
Prince

I've just started, and going to come off. Seeing as how I've been doing 5-10 a day for the last fortnight, I think I'll be ok...

Cannabis is far healthier!
Old November 13, 2003, 16:16   #20
Whaleboy
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by st_swithin
Be distracted - herbal tea, slamming your finger in a car door, masturbation, reading National Geographic, grout-scrubbing.
I do three of those and I'm not a proper smoker yet!! Take a wild guess....

Last edited by Whaleboy; November 13, 2003 at 16:22.
Old November 13, 2003, 16:31   #21
st_swithin
CTP1/2 GODDESS

Whaleboy, nobody has to guess:
masturbation, masturbation, masturbation.

It's like a mantra, no?

My guess is that's why you smoke. I'm pretty sure that's why I smoke.
Old November 13, 2003, 16:35   #22
Whaleboy
Prince

st_swithin, msn me (addy on website). You know me far too well to not be related somehow...
Old November 13, 2003, 17:05   #23
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 04:25
I am surpirsed that there seems to be a lot of smokers here on apolyton. I have never touch the damn things and never will. It is much easier to not do it in the first place then to start and get addicted to it and then try to quit.
Old November 13, 2003, 17:15   #24
Kaak
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 06:25
Quote:
I have never touch the damn things and never will.
Same here. I've never understood the attraction. look gross, smell worse. most of my fellow computer dorks do have addictive personalities, so i'm not surprised by the number of smokers here.
Quote:
I've quit several times
I think you misunderstand the nature of the word quit

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."
Old November 13, 2003, 17:19   #25
st_swithin
CTP1/2 GODDESS

Oh trust me, we're related. The kind of insanity we share means we had to have hit a lot of the same branches on the way down after getting kicked out of the tree by our ancestors.

THAT'S natural selection for ya.

We should conduct a cross-pond experiment - I'll be you and you can be me for a week (except that I can't grow facial hair, and you probably don't wear a bra) - then we see if anyone notices the difference.
Old November 13, 2003, 17:41   #26
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Well, the tobacco is rather generating fat profits. I actually start to think about buying Philip Morris stock (NYSE: MO).
Old November 13, 2003, 17:44   #27
Whaleboy
Prince

Quote:
I have never touch the damn things and never will
Thats what I said this time last month

Quote:
We should conduct a cross-pond experiment - I'll be you and you can be me for a week (except that I can't grow facial hair, and you probably don't wear a bra) - then we see if anyone notices the difference.
Our libidos and love of Edgar Allen Poe would surely make up for that though....
Old November 13, 2003, 17:52   #28
NeOmega
Prince

Local Time: 04:25
You know what you have to do. It is simply a battle of your will.

I quit once for 1 year, 1.5 years, and month long periods. I also am at about the 3rd month of no nicotine this time around.

This time, though, I am positive it is dead for good.

1) spend about 3 bucks a day on garbage food. Do it for the rest of your life if you wish. It is better to eat than smoke.

2) You cannot have a drag, or a cigarette. No "I only smoke when I am drunk" no "Today was really stressful" no "this girl is cute and smoking"

Honestly, you already know what you must do. And you cannot let your gaurd down. I restarted after 1.5 years! I was drunk, and someone offered. I thought, "I can handle it, I haven't smoked for 1.5 years..." Well, that ended up being another 6 months of smoking, and costing me bout $540 in cigarettes..... what a cool computer I could have had instead.
Old November 13, 2003, 18:03   #29
Snotty
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Quote:
2) You cannot have a drag, or a cigarette. No "I only smoke when I am drunk" no "Today was really stressful" no "this girl is cute and smoking"
Listen to this man. Lancer knows it too. Its a mistake you do not want to make. Many times have I fallen by the wayside by thinking I could handle just one.
Old November 13, 2003, 18:10   #30
st_swithin
CTP1/2 GODDESS

Yeah, heroin and smoking are like Doritos - you can't have just one.

I wonder if you can mainline MSG...

Quote:
Originally posted by Whaleboy
Our libidos and love of Edgar Allen Poe would surely make up for that though....
Every time I hear the word "Nevermore" I have to shave something.

libido and love of EAPoe - isn't that like 2 of the same thing? Sort of like 4 weddings and a funeral is 5 of the same thing.