Old November 13, 2003, 11:11   #1
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 12:25
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Nuclear War - Poly

Following the success of the Mafia game, here's another game in which 'poly posters can kill each other.

The rules : (pretty simple)
  • Each player is the general in control of the nuclear weapons of a country. He has the responsiblity of protection his cites, and destroying the cities of the other players.
  • The game proceeds in turns. Once all players have posted, the results are shown, and the next round proceeds.
  • Any player "forgetting" to PM orders is considered to "hide in the bunker" if they still can, otherwise they do nothing that round.
  • Each player has 3 cities. A city is like a life. If you lose all three you are dead.
  • The winner is the last one left alive. If noone is left alive then the
    game is a draw.
  • In each turn the player has a choice from 4 options : to nuke an opponent, to shield himself in his bunker for that round, to deflect incoming nukes or to build a new city.
  • Nuking opponents : You may launch up to two missiles per turn at any player. They each destroy one city.
  • Hiding in the bunker : This may only be used once, and makes you IMMUNE to all nuclear attacks that turn. Afterwards the bunker is unusable.
  • Deflectin' nukes : Instead of lauching two nukes, you can deflect 50% of the nukes that were aimed at you, regardless of thier target, to the player of your choice. i.e. nukes 1,3,5,7 are deflected while nukes 2,4,6,8 will hit the cities. If your are targeted by 3 nukes, one will hit, and 2 will be "bounced" for example. You must say who the nukes will be deflected to when you post. If the target is also deflecting then the nukes are "bounced" onwards, but any one nuke is only blocked once by each player.
  • Build a new city : Instead of attacking or blocking you may build a new city. The city is considered "built" before the nukes are launched.
  • If a player is killed in a turn, his nukes and deflection still operate before his vaporisation at 1,000,000°C
  • Teams, ganging up and evil behavior are to be encouraged.

So... who's in? I reckon we can take 8 players as a trial.

1 - Jamski (Berlin, Hamburg & Munich remaining)
2 - Azazel (Earth, Venus & Mars remaining)
3 - ljcvetko (Beograd, Novi Sad & Leskovac remaining)
4 - Spaced Cowboy (Dallas, Austin & Houston remaining)
5 - DrSpike (Southampton, London, and Newton remaining)
6 - Vovan (Kiev, Sevastopol & Odessa remaining)
7 - Tass (Logan City, Salt Lake City & Ogden City remaining)
8 - Tuberski (San Antonio, Corpus Christi, & Laredo remaining)
9 - Sheep (Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne remaining)

This gives those killed in the Mafia game something to do while we wait for the next one to start

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Last edited by Jamski; November 14, 2003 at 05:27.
Old November 13, 2003, 12:41   #2
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 15:25
sign me up.
Old November 13, 2003, 12:46   #3
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 14:25
/me starts dreaming about all the hours spent on playing Nuke Wars on the Amiga

Sign me up also

When selecting what to do for the turn, should we PM you, or post it here?
I vote for PM'ing, since it makes a more suprised game
Old November 13, 2003, 12:46   #4
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

1 - Jamski (3 cities remaining)
2 - Azazel (3 cities remaining)
3 -
4 -
5 -
6 -
7 -
8 -

Added

-Jam
Old November 13, 2003, 12:47   #5
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

I wouldn't mind being the one to collect the PM's, and just keep an eye on the game (Without playing)
Old November 13, 2003, 12:51   #6
Jamski
Deity

Actually I imagined all the posting would be open. But it makes it more EVIL if we PM you ADG

Let's go for it. If you wait more than about 24-36 hours and someone hasn't PMed you, then assume that they hide in their bunker (if they havn't used it yet) or do nothing at all

-Jam
Old November 13, 2003, 12:53   #7
Jamski
Deity

Oh BTW, then you have to post the report of who nuked who. Its not secret who nuked who, we need to plan for revenge.

-Jam
Old November 13, 2003, 13:00   #8
Ljube
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 13:25
Receiving a special invitation from Jamski, I join Nuclear War!!!
Old November 13, 2003, 13:04   #9
Jamski
Deity

Moderator - ADG

3 - ljcvetko (3 cities remaining)
4 -
5 -
6 -
7 -
8 -

Added

-Jam
Old November 13, 2003, 13:23   #10
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Sure, whenever a turn is over, I "open up the envolope"

Here's a few other changes I propose: (What do you think?)

1) It's not 'just' cities, but specific cities (Each player has city A, B and C), when bombing a city, the player should say which city (Two players can hit the same city by accident)

2) When shielding from attacks it's not from a specific player, but from all attacks during that round (Maybe having a limit on 3 shields during a game (Leaving out the bunker)
Old November 13, 2003, 13:44   #11
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Local Time: 07:25
It is time for me to get my cowboy on....Sign me up!
Old November 13, 2003, 14:20   #12
Jamski
Deity

Quote:
1) It's not 'just' cities, but specific cities (Each player has city A, B and C), when bombing a city, the player should say which city (Two players can hit the same city by accident)
This just makes it more complicated I think. I don't see why we couldn't name our cites if we wanted, but they are just "lives"

Quote:
2) When shielding from attacks it's not from a specific player, but from all attacks during that round (Maybe having a limit on 3 shields during a game (Leaving out the bunker)
The sheilds are not against a specific player, but DEFLECT TO a specific player. And they are maybe too weak... ok, let's say they deflect 50% of all missiles i.e. they deflect missiles 1,3,5,7 etc, while missiles 2,4,6,8 etc hit the target. Then they're worth using instead of launching nukes. The "total protection bunker" is definitely to be used once only.

Also, I forgot the fourth possible action... silly me. You can build a city as your turn. The city is considered "built" before the nukes land.

I'd better update the rules. No more changes in this game will be accepted Maybe next time if enough people complain.

RPM, you're cool, and on the list :

Moderator - ADG

3 - ljcvetko (3 cities remaining)
4 - Spaced Cowboy (3 cities remaining)
5 -
6 -
7 -
8 -

-Jam
Old November 13, 2003, 14:30   #13
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski
This just makes it more complicated I think. I don't see why we couldn't name our cites if we wanted, but they are just "lives"
With other words: When two nukes hit, they hit two different cities? (Just want to be clear about the rules...)

And naming the cities is a good idea, this makes it more story based
Everybody has to have their cities named before the end of first round...
Old November 13, 2003, 14:39   #14
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Are our move invisible to the other players. For instance if player 1 shields from player B, then I, going second could nuke his other 2 cities and make his shield useless. Player B could then just wait until next turn when A would probably shield from me and then waste player A.

Seems like you will get a lot of players waiting until the last minute to make their move. It would be better to have secret moves and then they all happen at once.

Well, I guess that could go either way,

Q: What is player A and B maek their moves to both send two nukes each to player C before C even posts. Is C out of the game? Or does he still get to play a shield or bunker?
Old November 13, 2003, 14:41   #15
Jamski
Deity

Yep, when two nukes hit = two dead cities.

I'm going to name my cities Berlin, Hamburg and Munich. If you can't be bothered, then you get the default names of Alpha, Beta and Gamma.

-Jam
Old November 13, 2003, 14:41   #16
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski

RPM, you're cool, and on the list :

-Jam
That is about as bad as me saying that this game will be a war of art
Old November 13, 2003, 14:41   #17
Jamski
Deity

Quote:
It would be better to have secret moves and then they all happen at once.
We have secret moves. All orders are PMed to ADG.

-Jam
Old November 13, 2003, 14:51   #18
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 13:25
Sounds cool. I'm in, but unless it ruins the game it should all be open. PM's are going to make it a right hassle.
Old November 13, 2003, 14:52   #19
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Could you update your list in your first post with all players (As they arrive) and the names of their cities (After they name them)
Old November 13, 2003, 15:13   #20
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Hmm...

I'll go with Dallas, Houston, and Austin (Guess where I live)
Old November 13, 2003, 15:17   #21
Jamski
Deity

Quote:
That is about as bad as me saying that this game will be a war of art
LMAO! :lol

Spikie, ADG will handle all the PMs, unless he'd rather play, in which case we should go public. One problem, if you read in the forum that everyone is nuking you, then its pretty obvious that you should dive for cover. That kinda spoils the point. In the public forum you have to mislead people as to your attentions.

-Jam
Old November 13, 2003, 15:19   #22
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 06:25
/me 's spirit materializes with an evil grin on his face

Where's an evil mastermind bent on distruction of all life on Earth to sign up?
Spore page
Old November 13, 2003, 15:30   #23
Jamski
Deity

I'm just signing you up now... any preferences for city names?

-Jam
Old November 13, 2003, 16:42   #24
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 06:25
Well, I was thinking about using Russian city names first, but then I figure: I wouldn't want my home city to be nuked, so...

Let's say:

Kiev, Sevastopol, Odessa

Spore page
Old November 13, 2003, 16:43   #25
Jamski
Deity

I shall add them and you

-Jam
Old November 13, 2003, 17:05   #26
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Strange, I just looked at all of my nukes and they have the initals BHM on them....was is that?
Old November 13, 2003, 17:15   #27
Jamski
Deity

/me changes the names of his cities and sets "deflect" to Spaced Cowboy land *

-Jam
Old November 13, 2003, 18:03   #28
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

I'll join.

Logan City, Salt Lake City, Ogden City
Old November 13, 2003, 18:15   #29
Jamski
Deity

Cool, you're added Tass

One more and we can start...

/me polishes his nukes *

-Jam
Old November 13, 2003, 18:23   #30
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity