Old November 13, 2003, 21:23   #1
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 08:27
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Do you get tech for being first?
Ok, so I am going to expose my ignorance again. I thought you got a tech advance if you were first to learn a new tech.
You also have a small change to get a SGL.
Does this apply through out the game or stop after ancient age?
I ask because I find I have a constant two tech lead, but never get a free tech after the ancient age. I got a SGL after that age
Some cases, their could be no obvious reason that anyone could have the tech. I figured I was missing a civ that got it on the same turn, but I got Steam (Ottoman) and researched Ind,
I learned it, no one had steam, but me. I saw several cases where no one had a given tech, except me? So did I miss something or does it stop at some point. Is it not automatic and you just have a chance like SGL. It would make sense if a civ could only get one free tech for being first and only one SGL or maybe two for a game.
I did not find anything in the manual about the subject.

Thanks
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2003, 21:28   #2
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

I don't recall ever reading that. The SGL, yes. Something like 2 or 3% prob of getting the SGL, IIRC.

I just played a game where I had the tech lead most of the game, even got Theory of Evolution...not one SGL
Old November 13, 2003, 21:40   #3
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 05:27
Just the possible SGL for being first at a tech -- except for PHILOSOPHY, which gives 1 FREE tech if you're first to get it.

SGL probabilities are 3%, 5% for scientific.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Jaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2003, 21:46   #4
RobC
Warlord

Local Time: 04:27
You get a free tech only if you are 1st to research Philosophy. Otherwise, being 1st only gives you a (small) chance of spawning a SGL.
RobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2003, 22:08   #5
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

do you have to use the SGL before you can get another one, like the regular GL's??

[EDIT] Can you have a GL and a SGL at the same time?? [/edit]

E_T
E_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2003, 22:38   #6
Backpack
BtS Tri-League
Prince

Local Time: 06:27
Of course if the civ you'r playing is a scientific civ you get a free tech at the beginning of each age - No announcement - no chance to influence it. - Code finally seems to be fixed for this though. - It used to default to the top of the tech tree - now it's random among the beginning techs of the age. - This also works for scientific AI civs. when I'm ahead I often give away the techs needed to bring a competing AI civ up to the new Age - I've got better than 50 50 odds that I don't have the tech they get, and then I can trade for it, (or at least antoher civ having it reduces my costs) - Also An appropriate gift of multiple Ancient age techs can make some AI Civ's very friendly for a while.

You can have multiple SGL's saved - and reports are that you can have an SGL and an MGL at the same time.

Kevin
Old November 14, 2003, 03:53   #7
vmxa1
Deity

Ok that makes sense, I must have misread the post. I have managed to get a few SGL and 6 MGL so far, but I have Science trait.
Old November 15, 2003, 14:12   #8
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 07:27
I am wondering though if the first patch to conquests will remove the ability to stockpile SGLs.
joncnunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2003, 15:37   #9
vmxa1
Deity

Is this really a problem? I think the most I have gotten so far is 4 and 3 were very late in the game, so they had no real impact.
If you were seeing more than 2 by the middle ages, that may be a concern. After late industrial, they are not such a big impact.
I say that because if you are piling them up at that point, you could build the wonders first anyway.
Old November 15, 2003, 18:54   #10
TechWins
King

Local Time: 05:27
I never get MGLs or SGLs regardless of how many technologies I'm first to discover or how many battles I win with elite units. I'm just 'lucky' like that.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
TechWins is offline   Reply With Quote