Old November 15, 2003, 07:47   #1
DaShi
Emperor

Local Time: 12:31
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Did the Chinese Overreact?
Or were these Japanese students just politically insensitive?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/china/stor...075600,00.html

Quote:
Student prank that gave the Chinese a fit of the willies

Jonathan Watts in Beijing
Saturday November 1, 2003
The Guardian

Chinese students demonstrate against Japanese students who had performed a jokey sketch involving fake genitals

In the history of comical flops, few pranks can have gone down quite so badly as the fake-genital skit performed by three Japanese students in China's Northwest University.
Camping it up in red bras and knickers bulging with paper cups, the performers must have been expecting guffaws or at least shy giggles from the freshmen and faculty they were entertaining at a welcoming party for new students.

Instead, they sparked an anti-Japanese demonstration by thousands of fellow students, internet death threats, and articles in the national media accusing them of attempting to humiliate China and its people.

The outcry sparked by the innocuous display of student humour this week is the latest and most bizarre in a series of public demonstrations against anything Japanese - one of the few issues on which the Chinese government appears ready to tolerate large-scale protests.

According to the state-run news service Xinhua, the performance at the party for foreign language students in Xian, western China, included three Japanese students and a teacher wearing brassieres and false genitals made from paper cups hanging from their waists. They danced "obscenely" and threw scraps of paper pulled from their underwear at the audience.

The audience of conservative students and professors called a stop to the high jinks. If the performers had been Chinese, Russian or European, that would probably have been the end of the matter. But the fact that they were Japanese turned a cultural misunderstanding into an international incident.

Several thousand Chinese students gathered in front of the university's foreign students' dormitory on Thursday to demand that the Japanese offenders apologise. Yesterday hundreds continued to protest, shouting anti-Japanese slogans and waving banners, according to witnesses.

After the performance was given prominent coverage in the media, internet chatrooms filled with calls for the culprits to be deported.

Anti-Japanese feeling has lingered since the second world war, when Japanese troops used Chinese civilians as sex slaves and guinea pigs for biological experiments. But its expression has undergone a change recently, with calls for financial compensation.

In recent months the fury has grown in the wake of the death of a labourer who was killed by a Japanese chemical weapon uncovered at a construction site.

Hundreds of thousands signed an online petition against a Japanese bid to build a rail link between Shanghai and Beijing; a Japanese band was pelted with bottles when it played in Beijing; and newspapers published front-page stories about a sex tour by 400 Japanese men who allegedly hired 500 Chinese prostitutes.
Old November 15, 2003, 08:06   #2
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 15:31
I don't understand what has happened.
Old November 15, 2003, 08:09   #3
David Floyd
Emperor

Apparently, some Japanese college kids were being, well, college kids, and a bunch of Chinese students and faculties have sticks up their asses.

So yes, they overreacted, unless I'm missing something major here.
Old November 15, 2003, 08:10   #4
Zylka
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Did the Americans ever turn that little chain of islands back into something beautiful..

Japan
Old November 15, 2003, 08:15   #5
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 20:31
Quote:
Originally posted by David Floyd
So yes, they overreacted, unless I'm missing something major here.
Yes.

Modern history of East Asia.
Old November 15, 2003, 08:16   #6
David Floyd
Emperor

I'm sorry, but what do war crimes 60 years ago have to do with silly, non-destructive pranks pulled by students today?
Old November 15, 2003, 08:19   #7
Urban Ranger
Deity

Lots and lots of things, including the Japanese's inability to recognise these atrocities.
Old November 15, 2003, 08:19   #8
DaShi
Emperor

Well, my complaint would be that they were guests of China. A little acumen by the Japanese students should have told them that it was a bad idea. But the Chinese just seemed like they were looking for an excuse. Any excuse.
Old November 15, 2003, 08:22   #9
David Floyd
Emperor

UR,

Quote:
Lots and lots of things, including the Japanese's inability to recognise these atrocities.
Again, that has nothing to do with the situation at hand.

Dashi,

Quote:
But the Chinese just seemed like they were looking for an excuse. Any excuse.
That's what I think. I mean come on. The prank wasn't even political in nature or intent.

And now, I'm off to work. YAY!
Old November 15, 2003, 12:25   #10
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Local Time: 07:31
No one likes the japanese.

Strip anime, video games and kinky sex and you have nothing going for them.
Old November 15, 2003, 12:53   #11
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 08:31
No, that's what the Chinese luuuuv about the Japanese.

I'm sort of baffled about what the uproar was about. Perhaps somebody could fill us in? The article is awful vague. Is it just a bawdy skit to the wrong audience?
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old November 15, 2003, 13:48   #12
Ned
King

Local Time: 04:31
DanS, I think the Chinese were offended by the crassness and the sexuality of the act. If you have seen any recent Chinese movies, you will be struck at just how puritanical the Chinese are.
Old November 15, 2003, 13:51   #13
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Local Time: 05:31
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
DanS, I think the Chinese were offended by the crassness and the sexuality of the act. If you have seen any recent Chinese movies, you will be struck at just how puritanical the Chinese are.
No, Chinese hate Japanese with a passion. If the movie were American, nothing would have happened.

The days that Chinese were puritanical are long over.
Old November 15, 2003, 14:34   #14
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Regardless of whether these students hated this really bad prank or hated the Japanese students.....Go China!!!

Old November 15, 2003, 14:49   #15
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 06:31
The scale of the counter-action is disproportionate to the act..loud boos and getting hackled off the stage would have been enough a show of disapproval towards the stunt. Death threats are simply absurd.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old November 15, 2003, 16:59   #16
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 07:31
Quote:
the fact that they were Japanese turned a cultural misunderstanding into an international incident.
Very telling statement. Obviously the outrage is poltically motivated and not motivated by the deed itself.

Quote:
its expression has undergone a change recently, with calls for financial compensation.
Here's the reason for the political outrage.

Quote:
In recent months the fury has grown in the wake of the death of a labourer who was killed by a Japanese chemical weapon uncovered at a construction site.
WTF??

Quote:
Anti-Japanese feeling has lingered since the second world war, when Japanese troops used Chinese civilians as sex slaves and guinea pigs for biological experiments.
Time to move on China.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old November 15, 2003, 17:06   #17
Lonestar
inmate
King

After reading the article, all I really have to say is this:

The Hell?
Old November 15, 2003, 17:13   #18
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Japan used to have this habit of invading China.
Some chinese people don't like Japan because of that
Old November 15, 2003, 17:36   #19
st_swithin
CTP1/2 GODDESS

Yeah, after the rape of Nanjing, the Chinese seem to have a big chip on their collective shoulder. According to you people, they should just say "It's ok, Japan - we forgive you for those 400,000 Chinese civilians you raped and slaughtered."

And of course, empathy shouldn't be expected - they all look alike anyway, naked and tortured and murdered in a pile like that. They have nothing to be sensitive about, right?
Old November 15, 2003, 18:07   #20
David Floyd
Emperor

No, they just need to realize that a few Japanese students playing a prank is not in any way related to the Rape of Nanjing. Frankly, I don't see how it's any different than Jews hating today's Germans for the Holocaust. It's just silly.
Old November 15, 2003, 18:08   #21
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

And college students today have what to do with the Rape of Najing? Might as well expect us to slug Japanese folks for the bombing of Pearl Harbor.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old November 15, 2003, 18:24   #22
Nubclear

This is pretty simple to understand.

Japan invaded China. Repeated as many times as needed.
(Irrelevant, but...) China has risen to a very powerful position in the world.
Chinese people remember the history. And they get indoctrination from the Chinese government.
Therefore Chinese people dont really like Japanese people.

Stupid? Yes. Understandable? Of course.
Old November 15, 2003, 18:24   #23
Nubclear

This is pretty simple to understand.

Japan invaded China. Repeated as many times as needed.
(Irrelevant, but...) China has risen to a very powerful position in the world.
Chinese people remember the history. And they get indoctrination from the Chinese government.
Therefore Chinese people dont really like Japanese people.

Stupid? Yes. Understandable? Of course.
Old November 15, 2003, 19:12   #24
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
The scale of the counter-action is disproportionate to the act..loud boos and getting hackled off the stage would have been enough a show of disapproval towards the stunt. Death threats are simply absurd.
Totally agree. This is just ridiculous. Yes, you don't like Japanese people because they were *******s. Fine, but what does any of that have to do with a skit by some Japanese students which has nothing to do with history in any way?

It'd be like German students doing a bawdy play in Israel and the Israelis holding massive anti-German protests (which they'd never do).

Quote:
Might as well expect us to slug Japanese folks for the bombing of Pearl Harbor.
Oh, yeah... I forgot... time to get me some of those bastards
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old November 15, 2003, 19:41   #25
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
(which they'd never do).
True.
Instead, they would blame it on Arafat and have anti-Palestine protests.
Old November 15, 2003, 20:21   #26
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 04:31
This does not sound very good to me. In the past this is how wars were started. . .
Old November 15, 2003, 22:28   #27
st_swithin
CTP1/2 GODDESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack_www
This does not sound very good to me. In the past this is how wars were started. . .
Well, it's not like we were doing anything else anyway. I mean, we sort of ran with that Afghanistan thing as far as it could go.
Old November 15, 2003, 22:44   #28
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
And college students today have what to do with the Rape of Najing? Might as well expect us to slug Japanese folks for the bombing of Pearl Harbor.
You don't understand the situation comrade.

I am sure some German students making fun of Jews is going to go over well, particularly in Israel.
Old November 15, 2003, 23:32   #29
DaShi
Emperor

The thing was that they weren't targetting China specifically.
Old November 15, 2003, 23:35   #30
DaShi
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by st_swithin
Yeah, after the rape of Nanjing, the Chinese seem to have a big chip on their collective shoulder. According to you people, they should just say "It's ok, Japan - we forgive you for those 400,000 Chinese civilians you raped and slaughtered."

And of course, empathy shouldn't be expected - they all look alike anyway, naked and tortured and murdered in a pile like that. They have nothing to be sensitive about, right?
So rioting and threatening Japanese students who weren't even born at the time is the proper response. Or is China just waiting for the chance to commit its own atrocities on the Japanese. I agree wholeheartedly that Japan needs to apologize and generally be more contrite for its actions during WWII, but bad behavior is still bad behavior. And the reasons for these riots are tenuous.