Old January 9, 2001, 09:18   #31
Jim Winchell
Chieftain

Local Time: 06:09
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What happens if the back door is killed? Unfortunately I didn't save my game and don't have the time to replay to find out--Email me if the answer would spoil the ending.

I thought the hints were perfect, no need to capitalize the obvious ("JUMP to the bow"). I had to restart a couple of times to get to Circe's palace and past the Sirens (I was stumped because the way was still blocked and rowed all over the Med until I figured out that you've got to wait a turn).
Old January 9, 2001, 12:04   #32
Prometeus
Spanish Civers
King

Local Time: 07:09
Athena, check out TOT conversion thread, StLeo placed a couple of links to some interesting sites. Maybe you'll find at last SLPConverter... And if you'll need some bronze age greek and thracian pics for a future restyling, just whistle, and I'll scan them...

PS Yes, i recognized both goat and gate...
Old January 12, 2001, 21:49   #33
SCDARS
Civilization II Multiplayer
Warlord

quote:

Originally posted by Athena

SCDARS: Allowing you (or anyone for that matter) to abandon the Bow is definitely a design flaw on my part. In future versions, I'll probably put in a new event that causes loss of the Bow to generate a 2nd Axe unit, thus doubling the attack on the Back Door.

Hmm, I'll have to see if one still can win the game after the backdoor has been destroyed then...

quote:

Originally posted by Jay Bee on 01-08-2001 06:17 PM
Please convert the .bmp's into .gif's. This would considerably reduce the size the zip file.

Strangely enough, this would not reduce the size of the zip file. I tested that .gifs aren't really reduced in size if you zip them, but .bmps hav compression rates ranging from 80 -90%... So although in unzipped status bmps are much larger, they are significantly smaller within a zip file.
Old January 13, 2001, 06:30   #34
SCDARS
Warlord

quote:

Originally posted by Jim Winchell on 01-09-2001 08:18 AM
What happens if the back door is killed? Unfortunately I didn't save my game and don't have the time to replay to find out--Email me if the answer would spoil the ending.

I thought the hints were perfect, no need to capitalize the obvious ("JUMP to the bow"). I had to restart a couple of times to get to Circe's palace and past the Sirens (I was stumped because the way was still blocked and rowed all over the Med until I figured out that you've got to wait a turn).

Jim: In order not to spoil the end for others, I sent you a private message, just look for it.
It's better if future players are kept in suspense... I'll only quote what Athena has already said: "Just pray the Suitors don't break through the Back Door!"

However, the situation doesn't get completely hopeless after the backdoor is open, but... So I promise I'll send my proposals privately to you, Athena.
Old January 14, 2001, 15:15   #35
Allard HS
Prince

Local Time: 08:09
Athena, congratulations on winning, despite all the trouble that met you on the way.

It's really good to see that finally knows his Homer well.

Andra moi ennepe Mousa polytropon os mala polla
planxtei epei Troies ieron ptolietron eperse
pollon anthropon iden astea kai noon egno
Old January 15, 2001, 01:33   #36
Athena
Chieftain

As some of you may be aware, The Odyssey has won SDC#3. The announcement was made in that vast echoing chasm of silence --- otherwise known as the HAC Forum --- so it seemed appropriate to address it here too. A copy of my acceptance speech is appended below:

Thank You! An award like this was just the stuff of dreams when I first began to create scenarios a few years ago. Scenario design contests in the past have produced some memorable works by some of the masters of the genre, so the bar was set quite high. An SDC winning design had better push the technical limits, and be fun to play too!

The Odyssey was very enjoyable to make, especially the decision to create an adventure scenario based closely upon the actual Bronze Age tale. To retain the interest of the player events had to be many and varied, new art was needed, and the tale would have to be compelling. It's also probable that most people have only a passing knowledge of Homer's epic ("it has a Cyclops in it?"), so lots of text would be required to keep the storyline alive. The decision to "go the last mile" by adding the island of Ithaca, the Odyssean palace, and the battle with the suitors was actually a last minute one. Thank heavens for Dusty's newly released Mapcopy utility, because that whole corner of the map was originally the Bulgarian/Romanian basin! Being forced to change it via the cheat menu, one square at a time, would certainly have proven impossible. The scenario itself seemed to be well received once released, and that's always gratifying to the designer....awards be damned!

That said, it was very disappointing to see only two entries in this contest. Hopefully it's just the theme which failed to inspire, or perhaps the way in which the original organizers bailed out. But the Design Community was VERY silent during the creation phase of this event, something which will have to change it's to be successfully resurrected. Many people NEED the feed back which comes from having their efforts discussed in public. Perhaps that's something which could be formalized in the future, some kind of ongoing thread in the Sleeg and/or Creation forums.

A final comment to Tecumseh and Cam. This contest was DOA until you two resurrected it. Win or lose, you guys were going to get a sincere "thank you" from me!
Old January 15, 2001, 09:10   #37
Prometeus
Spanish Civers
King

Congratulations from me too, Athena!!!!!
Old January 15, 2001, 16:45   #38
SCDARS
Warlord

Congratulations from me, too.
(Although I must admit I do not have played your contestant's scenario yet, I think you deserved it for the amount of work you out into this scenario).
Anyway, what way is the "public choice" is held up? Is there a timeline for the votes?
I ask beacause I would like to have played both scenarios before I give my vote

P.S: Athena, have you received and considered my PM?
[This message has been edited by SCDARS (edited January 15, 2001).]
Old January 19, 2001, 08:06   #39
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 08:09
Athena, I´d like to add "Odyssey" to the MustPlay section of my website. Do I have your permission?

Oh, and congratulations, of course from me too...
------------------
Civ2000
[This message has been edited by BeBro (edited January 19, 2001).]
Old January 19, 2001, 23:41   #40
Athena
Chieftain

Bebro: By all means!

I appreciate the kind remarks from everyone. In turn, I'd like to extend my congratulations to Poseidon for his SDC#3 entry. If you haven't tried it yet, by all means take it out for a spin!