Old November 15, 2003, 19:51   #1
Elias
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Warlord

Local Time: 05:34
Local Date: November 2, 2010
What are up to?
I Created this form to complain and ask if anyone else has similar problems. Currently I am 15 and of course live at home yesterday my parents decided to take away my pc privligies the day after geting conquests i only got to play for about an hour. From reading most other threads most people on this sight seem more educated then other people so just curious if you anyone is close to my age group and if you have Pc avalibality problomes like me and also if your close to me in age how do you Know so much.

If there is a better place for this please move it.
Old November 16, 2003, 01:57   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 08:34
Well I sure don't qualify, but I do have a pair of shoes that are about that old.
Not sure what the issues are but reasonable parents can be bargained with. Own up to what ever the behavior was and profess to changing your ways and see if you can strike a deal to get back on the system. The best approach is to be adult about it and not whine. No claims of unfairness or misunderstanding, just own it and apologize. Showing mature conduct impresses people and they are inclined to greet it with respect.

Good luck.
Old November 16, 2003, 02:14   #3
Vince278
King

Local Time: 12:34
You're not alone. My wife occasionally takes my PC priviliges away as well.
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
2004 Presidential Candidate
2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)
Old November 16, 2003, 02:31   #4
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 14:34
Quote:
it and not whine.
Ahh, but that's the point of being 15 years old. The world suxxors man
-
Quote:

yeah well, hmm, eugh, live with it, I guess
Flowers often help btw
Old November 16, 2003, 02:34   #5
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
I'll chime in with an equally non-directly-relevant answer.

There are other posters here who are in your age range... and some of them are truly impressive in terms of maturity, responsibility, breadth of knowledge, intellect, and creativity.

On a computer, I can't think of anything better for a teenager than Civ.

We've got, oh, about 20,000 people here that could make that argument.

Example: One of the most popular books about the history of human civilization over the last two decades has been "Guns Germs and Steel" by Jared Diamond. Look it up on Amazon or something. I personally loved it... and I understand it about 100x better by virtue of Civ. And I am 40.

Anybody want to chime in about the team multiplayer games? What a learning experience THAT has been. We have several hundred very smart, very experienced players.... and we all pay homage to a person named Trip... someone correct me if wrong, but I think Trip is 19.

This is pretty much the most complex and educational activity I can think of... magnified by fora such as Apolyton. AND, it is an ultimate meritocracy... how great is that?

I know there are other issues (e.g., "GO OUTSIDE!!"), but when I have kids, heck, Civ will be a part of their worldview framework.

This next part is for Civ players, but supports my point:

"We are in a war with Iraq, son, that's why we are watching the news so much."

"Why?"

"They are a type of government we don't like... and that also means we don't like the head of that type of government."

"Ohhhh... But do we hate them that much Daddy?"

"Well, we don't hate them, but we have to be careful. They have Sipahi."

"OH NO!!"

"It gets worse, son. They have Sipahi Armies, C3C-style."

Father and son burrow under the covers.

I was born in 1963, so I was a child in middle class America during Vietnam and the height of the Cold War. The closest thing we had to a geo-political teaching tool was the game Risk, which taught large-scale CHANCE.

I wish I had grown up with Civ, with my Dad using it as a teaching tool, to understand the world better.

Edit: Elias, when you can, you might want to show this forum to your parents. I'll guess they are not too far off in age from me... This is an amazing place, truly, and speaking on behalf of my nieces and nephews and godchildren, I'd be pretty psyched to see them hanging around here. (And you! )
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Last edited by Theseus; November 16, 2003 at 02:45.
Old November 16, 2003, 06:51   #6
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Elias: Try to reason with your parents. Explain to them that you are aware that what you did was wrong (assuming that you did something to have your PC priviledges revoked).

Also tell them that you will not do whatever it is that you did in the future

And ultimately, be aware that some actions do mean punishment if discovered. So be a man about it, and suck it up

Rest assured that your PC priviledges will ultimately be restored. Parents are like that (I am a father myself, so I know). They can punish their children, but in the end, they don't like to see their children suffer

Asmodean
Old November 16, 2003, 11:16   #7
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 15:34
Theseus - only we have not 20k people here, but twice that much .
Old November 16, 2003, 12:01   #8
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 07:34
Elias - I'm sure you'll be able to work something out with your parents. Just add a little of your own...

Theseus - Great response. I don't think that anything can be added to this...
Old November 16, 2003, 13:35   #9
Kuciwalker
Deity

Re: What are up to?
Quote:
Originally posted by Elias
I Created this form to complain and ask if anyone else has similar problems. Currently I am 15 and of course live at home yesterday my parents decided to take away my pc privligies the day after geting conquests i only got to play for about an hour. From reading most other threads most people on this sight seem more educated then other people so just curious if you anyone is close to my age group and if you have Pc avalibality problomes like me and also if your close to me in age how do you Know so much.

First, I believe this would be better in the OTF

re: you problems with parents, I'm almost 16, but it really depends on the parents. It sucks for you, I know, but there's no helping it.
Old November 16, 2003, 18:05   #10
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I would kill my parents if they took away my computer.

but please don't do that. I don't need to be an accessory to such a horrible crime as that.
Old November 16, 2003, 19:46   #11
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

thats right. i'm livin the dream, in that golden 18-30 range, where no one can tell me anything. i can civ until the sun comes up, baby!

WOO!
Old November 17, 2003, 10:19   #12
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Re: What are up to?
Quote:

hi ,

, let mom and dad play a game or two , ......

and explain at the same time that you can learn loads of history true civ , .....

have a nice day
Old November 17, 2003, 10:59   #13
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 13:34
Quote:
Originally posted by Uber KruX
thats right. i'm livin the dream, in that golden 18-30 range, where no one can tell me anything. i can civ until the sun comes up, baby!

WOO!
I guess you don't have a girlfriend, or wife.....They are much worse than parents.
Old November 17, 2003, 11:41   #14
Stuie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Vince278

Me too.
Old November 17, 2003, 18:56   #15
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

She doesn't take them away, but instead makes me feel damn guilty when I do go and play. Women!
Old November 18, 2003, 00:15   #16
Elias
Warlord

Nice Comments Everyone is probably wondering what I did to deserve the no pc Ill explain.first a little background since about 6th grade the Pc has been limited to weekends I can see the other side of the argument here easily.But on my last report card I came home with grades that were less acceptable 2.8B- avrage so on friday after school I came home and was expecting to play conquests to see the PC missing. Many have said to try to come to an agremment with them right? I allready Tried talking with my dad for over an hour he claims Pc has next to no educational Value and that I need to make school my first priority I can see taking the pc away on weekdays I almost thank them for restraining me a little but for none untill??? espically right after I got conquests I even offerd to study up to 3hours a night for Pc back on weekends. My father who is constantly out of town on buisness is fimilary with CTP but has never played civ3. I am suprised to hear that most of you have kids yourself although i guss I could have been expecting it considering I have met 2 people who have played civ one I acually Introduced it to him just the other day and I have met no one at my school who seems as intelligent as the people here. By the way in case you were woundering this pc is my parents buisness pc it is to slow to load civ on and my regular pc does not have acess to the internet so i have been missing out on multiplayer. Its Nice to be among Intellictual equals for once.
Old November 18, 2003, 00:17   #17
Elias
Warlord

p.s no I dont have a girlfiend yet and certinly not a wife at my age!!
Old November 18, 2003, 00:18   #18
Elias
Warlord

p.s anyone got any bright ideas for passing time not that I dont have a life outside the pc.
Old November 18, 2003, 02:25   #19
bvoncranium
Warlord

Quote:
I need to make school my first priority
Thanks Elias for providing more background - this helps. As you've no doubt figured out, there are choices you can make that should help the situation.
As hard as it might be to go along with what your parents have asked for, it's probably a pretty effective way to get back on the pc sooner rather than later.
If you are able to demonstrate that you're getting your schoolwork (homework and studying) done early and well and have time left over afterwards on a consistent basis, it should not only help your marks at school, but should influence your parents' position as well. It will show to them that you can give priority to school and still be able to enjoy the other things that are important to you, such as Civ, etc. If the marks are the only thing that has brought this on, your parents will probably recognize that you've done what they asked; this could be rewarded with giving you back your PC priveleges, and there will probably be other benefits as well. It's common in life that the more you demonstrate that you can handle things, the less people tell you what to do or demand that you handle things.
You should also consider asking your parents if the marks are the only reason that they took away the computer. Sometimes if parents enact some seemingly-harsh punishment without prior warning, there may be something else that's bugging them. It's worth asking: if the grades are the only problem, at least you know where you stand and you can find a way to improve things. If there's something else causing the conflict, it's better to ask and get the whole picture and do your best to resolve it. Whether you're mad at them or not, the better your communication with your parents, the better your life will be.
Best of luck buddy - bvc
P.S. nice choice of avatar
Old November 18, 2003, 02:33   #20
Outsider
Settler

You could study.

(sorry... but you KNEW someone would say it... just getting it out of the way)

More seriously, though, it sounds to me like you've got trouble til your grades improve, and even if they do, there wont be any proof of it til your next report card

The only advice I can give is to ask your parents what grade level you have to maintain in order to retain computer access. Then keep track of how much time you put into getting that level of grade. Once you have access again, put in at least as much effort to keep your grades up, or else your parents will permanently remove your computer access (they have more than one data point that indicates it has a negative impact on your grades/they will think you didnt learn from the experience)

PS : Much of the 18-30 range isnt the land of milk and honey you make it out to be vis-a-vis computer gaming. Counting commute time, you will be spending 9 or more hours a day at work rather than playing civ, and you still wont be able to pull all nighters because you have to go to work in the AM.
Old November 18, 2003, 03:31   #21
Justin69002003
Chieftain

Just a joke.
I would find the computer and put every password and secerity feature on it. Keep the passwords to your self and only use them once youor parents ask nicly That way you get the computer. I have had the same problem to, but only a few years ago, fortunly my parents didn't know a thing about computers.
Old November 18, 2003, 03:51   #22
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Justin69002003 Well, it will stop them using the computer but even my mother knew how to remove the power cord.

Try finding some new friends, of the 'bad company' kind. Do some crazy ****(not too crazy, you will want to stay alive and out of prison). After that they will be very happy to have you back on your room playing civ

(ok, so this is not recommended either)
Old November 18, 2003, 13:54   #23
iSuck@CivIII
Settler

Quote:
Mohandas Gandhi married when he was 13 years old.
Old November 18, 2003, 14:48   #24
Stuie
King

Quote:
p.s anyone got any bright ideas for passing time not that I dont have a life outside the pc.
Read a book. Read lots of books.

When I'm separated from my computer for some reason, I usually find some book(s) that relate in some way to whatever my current gaming interest is, and spend my free time reading.
Old November 18, 2003, 14:54   #25
Cookie Monster
King

I agree with panag. Let mom or dad or both play civ and see how fast they'll understand. Yeah it's probably a good idea to own up for anything you did wrong so that you get pc priveledges back.
Old November 18, 2003, 14:57   #26
SirOsis
Civilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
Example: One of the most popular books about the history of human civilization over the last two decades has been "Guns Germs and Steel" by Jared Diamond. Look it up on Amazon or something. I personally loved it... and I understand it about 100x better by virtue of Civ. And I am 40.
I recommend you start by picking up this book. I am reading it right now and it is very interesting.
Old November 18, 2003, 22:33   #27
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Yeah, Elias, that is sort of where I was going... especially in that your Dad has played CTP, he at least gets this genre. So you need to convert him to your side based on the educational values of Civ!! Show him a MONSTER interest in human history, as evidenced by not just playing the game but also tying it to RL studying, *above and beyond* your school homework.

In fact, I'd recommend asking your parents to by "Guns Germs and Steel" for you... and btw, READ IT, it is fascinating, especially in the context of Civ (e.g., have you ever played a RW map?).

Back to your problem: You gotta earn it, my friend, no way around that. You seem like a really bright guy... why not get 4.0? I'm gonna call you out on something: You think you are intellectual? And you are happy to find like minds here?

Well, FINE, get the grades!
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old November 18, 2003, 22:39   #28
Elias
Warlord

Thank you for your comments this has helped me in my struggle. Curently I am reading secret wepons of ww2 being a world war 2 buff I am content with this but would anyone care to explain more about guns germs and steel please tell me the name of the author how long is it and could I just pick this up at the libary or barns&Nobel. puting a password on my pc would stop nothing you see my parents never use it my mom just took the pc part to somwhere I have not been able to find out yet although I have already searched my house Im not crazy enough to try to do somthing bad enough as so they would give me my pc back and I could end up in a worse spot. On un unrelated subject do you ever get bored and come here during work? personaly I think school is almost as bad as work because of the crazy teachers you have to sit in a desk and stare at you dont get paid so there is much less insentive does the 2.6 I got in 7th grade bug me any more? And added stress from parents and grades + home work so its about even. and at least when you drive to work you have a car and money in you wallet unlike me.
Old November 19, 2003, 02:16   #29
star mouse
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 23:34
Hang in there, Elias.

I was 15 once. I remember the injustice of being 15 - having to pay adult price to get into movies, but not being allowed to see some movies; having to pay adult fares to travel on public transport but if I was to work I wouldn't get paid adult wages, etc. I agree, 15 is an age when you can feel that the world is unjust and in some cases with good reason.

You are reading history books to pass the time and that is good. You might do well to diversify into ancient history, reading about the history of the great ancient civilisations of the world. Rome, Greece and Egypt are the ones people know most about, but there are other civilisations to study as well. The Greeks fought a lot of wars against the Persians. Carthage was Rome's foil until Rome sacked Carthage. Rome battled barbarians for over 1000 years. There were a lot of interesting ancient-era wars, which cannot be appreciated fully in CIV because the game doesn't go deeply enough into the Ancient era.

You might also enjoy the 1959 movie Ben Hur.
Old November 19, 2003, 02:51   #30
Vince278
King

Quote:
Well, I met my wife at your age. I wish I could tell you things will get better as you get older.
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
2004 Presidential Candidate
2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)