Old December 28, 2000, 01:46   #61
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 22:10
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I used ships to bombard Los Angeles, followed by bombers. Then my bombers and Zeros were launched from carriers to everywhere in the US continent. The cities were not prepared for air raids so they all got emptied by my planes. Then I landed several tanks and attacked further east. Let me clarify: I did not take New York, DC, and Atlanta. I stopped in front of them. The American continent should have Seattle, Orlando, New Orleans, Boston, plus the above three cities still in the US hand (there may be one or two more but I checked the US embassy and can only recognize those names from my geographic knowlodge). However the cities I occupied are not well defended so the US should be able to take them back easily. The only loss for the US are some population in those cities, some wonders, and two turns of productivty. And by next turn more Japanese troops will arrive so the cities are likely to change hand for the third time.

I have taken Australia in the South and ready to launch attack towards New Zealand. Half of India are occupied but I could not take Dehli -- my tanks cannot break the anti-tanks and my bombers are not effective against spitfires. There is no RR so I cannot use my imperial army infantry as well. Australia is different since my imperial army can do amphibious attack then I can land tanks to attack other cities (no anti-tank) and kill the spitfires there, thus clearing the way for my bombers.

I used my imperial army to attack along the Siberia RR and they are fairly effective.
Old December 31, 2000, 19:21   #62
Marko
Prince

Local Time: 06:10
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Everybody too busy to continue the game?
Wait impatiently my next turn.

Old December 31, 2000, 21:02   #63
klesh
King

Local Time: 02:10
Hi Marko... I've been waiting too.
I didn't weanna think you guys would give up that early! I know Xin hasn't got it either...sooo I guess its either the British or the Soviets....
Old January 1, 2001, 16:19   #64
VietMinh
Warlord

It's me, sorry but it's be kind of hectic
Old January 1, 2001, 21:45   #65
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Got file from VietMinh. May not be able to play till next Sunday. Anybody wants to take over my civ? sorry about it but I'm really busy now.
Old January 2, 2001, 01:20   #66
klesh
King

Damn, there goes one of the finest allies a guy could have... If no one wants Japan, or if we can't find a replacement, I don't mind playin as both Axis civs. Japan is still certainly open to anyone though.
Old January 2, 2001, 14:01   #67
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

FMK: I prefer to finish the turn by myself. Guys, please wait till next Sunday (7th of January). I checked out the saved file and assessed the situation.

Units:
Allied: Soviet 102, British 144, American 56, total 302.
Axis: Germany 176, Japan 351, total 527.

City numbers are not accurate in the logon screen and I don't have time to check the details. Soviet and American have around 15 cities each and British has 30. Germany has about 30 and Japan about 60.

The Europe front, Germany is under pressure from the British and the Soviet: British has an estimated 20 units in London, Bergen and Oslo, mostly navy and air units. Soviet has an estimated 80 units west of the Urals, mostly light tanks, red army, red guard and bombers. The Germany is likely to suffer a loss of about 30+ units each turn from Naval bombardment, air raid, and tank assault if we don't do anything. Japan must help the Germany by occupying Stalingrad, Leningrad and several other Soviet cities from the East.

The American front: The Americans made a mistake by using its handful of units to attack. Japan can transfer tanks and artilleries from the Pacific islands to the US and eliminate a lot of US troops while occupying its cities. The US will not be able to produce enough units to cover its losses and it will be a sure win for the Japanese. However Japan must finish the battles here quickly so its troops can be sent to other fronts.
Old January 2, 2001, 14:50   #68
klesh
King

quote:

Originally posted by Xin Yu on 01-02-2001 01:01 PM
FMK: I prefer to finish the turn by myself.

Ha ha, Xin, am I really THAT bad!?!

No problem, I can wait.

Germany may facing battles on multiple fronts, but new weaponry is promised to arrive soon. We shall relieve our tired bretheren at the front as soon as possible.

To Allies: Your futile attempt to thwart the New World Orderis failing...I shall open diplomatic lines to accept any Allied surrenders.
Old January 2, 2001, 15:31   #69
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

FMK: it's not that you are bad, it's that I'm itching and fasinated by the situation. I really see an opportunity to get the whole American continent since I can transfer 12 land units to Los Angeles during my turn. I'm trying to figure out how many tanks vs artilleries I need to get the job done. You are not familiar with the front so I prefer to do the job myself. I estimate that the US has about 20 units defending all the cities there and a majority should be in Washington (Capital). How to use my 12 land units plus my existing airplanes to get rid of the 20 some US troops is a very complicated question. I also need to bear in mind that the Canadians may come to the Americans' aid.

In the Soviet front, I can build a city on a particular square to bypass the Soviet Zone of Control and send my imperial infantries to Stalingrad and Leningrad. Using about 60 imperial marine plus some engineers, I can eliminate almost all Soviet cities in the Europe thus you can concentrte your effort in the British front. I have already built an AM zero in one of the front cities and the air raid will begin against Soviet cities on the northern side of the Siberian RR.

I hope to cut the Soviet and the US to about 30 units and half-dozen cities each after our round. Then I'll advance to the Middle East and Canada.
Old January 5, 2001, 02:20   #70
Marko
Prince

To Xin Yu: I feel like I am fighting war against Timothy Zahn's Grand Admiral Thrawn.
Old January 15, 2001, 18:32   #71
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Hey guys, interested in another round? If I take Japan again this time I'll go all the way to Moscow in turn 1
Old January 15, 2001, 19:28   #72
VietMinh
Warlord

Dizepam is playing my turn cause civ2 can't play on my PC anymore, terribly sorry for the delay.
Old January 15, 2001, 20:02   #73
Marko
Prince

I can play it again as Americans also. I have some ideas how to stop easily Japanese invasion in the second turn.

My biggest mistake in this game was that I didn't look the starting position carefully. I assumed that Japan can't attack me during the first 3 turns (rush-build a transport in Japan and then cross the Pacific in 2 turns) and can't launch a full-scale invasion before 6 turns (transport troops from Indonesia to America). Somehow I missed ready transports in Japan. Still I rushbuilt units in most cities in the first turn and planned subsequently set up deep defence system in western part of the state. But the next turn all cities were lost
Old January 15, 2001, 20:11   #74
dizepam
Chieftain

I can play again as great britain also. I'm sure i can defend the british isles, australia and India better this time. But I think this scenario should be more balanced for multiplayer gaming.
Old January 15, 2001, 20:38   #75
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Got the saved file. Will play tonight.
Old January 16, 2001, 14:34   #76
klesh
King

I'm up for another go-'round. I honestly don't know what more I can do to make my fight better. I am not a super-Civer, I am ok though. I made painstakingly precise decisions in the first round to maximize my results. I don't know how I can be any better. I guess I need to clear the Soviets out faster than Xin can get to Stalingrad!

Now thatwe've all had a rehearsal, we can now have the real war!

------------------
I am the Ukrainian Anti-Pope!
Automatic Kleshnikov 2001
Old January 17, 2001, 14:54   #77
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

I replayed turn 1. Not worrying about defense anymore, I made more progress in Australia, China and Soviet. In Soviet front I went all the way to Omsk. Had to stop there since the cities were all destroyed (more units in city than size, no walls) and the RRs were stopped. Logistic was difficult -- I transported all 4 of my engineers to Siberia and built roads/cities. Thanks to the multiplayer option, the engineers worked at double speed.

Any takers of the Soviet Union in our next match?
Old January 17, 2001, 22:50   #78
Captain Nemo
Prince

I actually would like to play a multiplayer game... But maybe it's not that good an idea being the creator of this scenario? I work full time so I can only play at night... How quickly does the game typically make a "round"?
Old January 18, 2001, 00:58   #79
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

What a surprise! Let's start as soon as the Allied give up on the first game (however I can start right now as Japan regardless when will we start).

It took me two nights to play a turn as Japan. I usually saved once after each of the frou fronts has been done: US, South Pacific, China/India, Russia. The fifth save was for city management, which took a different thinking so I did not want to mix it with the battle phase.

Be aware: Any city improvement you are building will become church (if you don't have it) and any unit you are building will become either mobil infantry or AA battery if a nearby city is occupied by an enemy.
Old January 19, 2001, 14:55   #80
klesh
King

quote:

Originally posted by Xin Yu on 01-17-2001 11:58 PM
Be aware: Any city improvement you are building will become church (if you don't have it) and any unit you are building will become either mobil infantry or AA battery if a nearby city is occupied by an enemy.

Xin, is this just for the Soviets or for everyone? Wow, I'll have to keep my eye on that!
Old January 19, 2001, 15:39   #81
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

It applies to my newly occupied US cities as well. I just couldn't have walls built up, and no artilleries or tanks could be built there. Must be that the first turn my cities were in riot and the AI automatically decided to build a church. Then, the AI decided that my defense units were not enough so it kept on building defense role units (mobiled infantry or AA battery). Even changed my completed superbattleship to an AA gun!
Old January 19, 2001, 23:28   #82
Captain Nemo
Prince

You are playing this game in MGE hotseat mode? I could make a revised version for FW with all 5 major nations edited to be human-controlled? That would certainly improve the game, but would limit the players to FW owners (Besides there could be some risk of cheating?)
Old January 20, 2001, 12:59   #83
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

I don't think it will be improved in FW version since the AI will control other civs when you play one, and the production orders still will be changed. However there is a way to manually change the building order using @build, and you can set the roles of some units to defense role and the AI will most likely to leave it alone.

My American cities had no defense land unit inside when I first landed in Los Angeles. That could be part of the reason for the AI to build defense units. If a city had already got 3 defense role units, the AI could choose not to add another. But I have not tested it yet.