Old November 16, 2003, 04:09   #1
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 07:36
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Just noticed something odd about my power supply.
I've had this system for over three years, and I just noticed this.

The power supply's fan is blowing into the box, not out. I thought they were supposed to always blow out.

Am I confused, did this change sometime during the past decade, or has this computer been running with a reversed-polarity fan for nearly four years?

It's a PIII 450 mid-tower with a 500 watt supply, and the supply is positioned almost right over the chip (which has it's own fan and huge heat sink), so the majority of the air flow is going across it. The air coming out of the supply isn't exactly cool, but it's not really warm, either.

The labeling on the supply, in its present location, is upside down.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old November 16, 2003, 04:16   #2
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 20:36
The fan should blow out.

What the heck are you doing with a 500W power supply? Or rather, is it really a 500W power supply?

BTW, how many fans does the power supply have and how are they facing?
Old November 16, 2003, 04:51   #3
Mr. Harley
Prince

Local Time: 08:36
It's hard to put a power supply upside down, if you look at it, the bolts are NOT laid out symetrically. They do normally blow out. Maybe somebody installed the fan in backwards. You could unplug and then pull the power supply and open it, voiding any warranties remaining. Carefully, because while it's unplugged, it still has capacitors and can shock you, just remove the mounting screws and reverse the fan, replacing the mounting screws. But if you aren't having any problems, then don't fix it is my motto.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.
Old November 16, 2003, 04:53   #4
Fve Crathva
Warlord

Local Time: 05:36
The PS fan should definitely blow out--for obvious reasons--but older PSes' blew in, I assume because that way you were guaranteed a draft over the processor heatsink.

SP
Old November 16, 2003, 04:58   #5
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:36
Thank the geniuses at Intel. That was their original ATX spec. It should have another fan blowing hot air into the system from the bottom of the PS. Yes, that's right, blowing hot air into the system.
Old November 16, 2003, 05:00   #6
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I wouldn't think it would be the end of the world if it blew in. You would still get air circulation. Just maybe not as good.

The biggest reason for the fan not to blow in is because of dust. Without a filter you will bring in tons of dust.

For people overclocking their computers they should have fans blowing in and out. For fans blowing in, they recommend you use filters to prevent too much dust from getting inside your case.

But dust isn't the end of the world. I live in the desert. And I never dust my house . The inside of my computer will just build up massive amounts of dust. I try to blow some out, but usually not that often. I even accumulate large dust balls inside my computer

edit: oh I thought you meant a case fan, not a power supply fan . Well in any case, if your chip hasn't burned up yet- you should be okay .
Old November 16, 2003, 05:02   #7
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I think I have a few dead rodents inside mine. Maybe even a small dog.
Old November 16, 2003, 05:03   #8
Urban Ranger
Deity

Some ATX power supplies do have a fan right over top of the CPU blowing down, but not all of them do. In fact, only the expensive units have them.
Old November 16, 2003, 05:06   #9
The Mad Monk
Emperor

I got the wattage by multiplying the input voltage (100-125) and amperage (5) listed on the label. Google listings say it's actually 145 watts.

It's a LITEON PS-5151-6B. It just has the one fan that I can see.

Since it has been doing fine for so many years, I don't see me changing it -- I am wondering if this could do with the two hard drive failures and one CDROM failure I've had during that time.

edit: dammit, the 145 watts is on the label, I just didn't see it. Bah.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old November 16, 2003, 05:09   #10
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Thank the geniuses at Intel. That was their original ATX spec. It should have another fan blowing hot air into the system from the bottom of the PS. Yes, that's right, blowing hot air into the system.
That bottom fan is the one I'm noticing. If there's a second fan behind the vent in the back, it's not apparent.

Of course, it's not in a good position for me to see it.
Old November 16, 2003, 05:09   #11
Urban Ranger
Deity

145W?

Run to your nearest hardware store and get yourself at least a 250W power supply.
Old November 16, 2003, 05:10   #12
notyoueither
Deity

The original Intel spec did not last too long, for obvious reasons. First they stopped putting two fans in, and then some bright light got the idea of venting the hot air out of the system. Like they used to do. It was a breakthrough.
Old November 16, 2003, 05:16   #13
The Mad Monk
Emperor

The inside of the case is extremely dusty -- I thought it was just because I don't dust much, either.

Perhaps I should put some gauze over the PS vent?
Old November 16, 2003, 05:18   #14
Urban Ranger
Deity

No.

Buy a new power supply. If you get a 350W or 400W, you can use that in your next computer, too.
Old November 16, 2003, 05:19   #15
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I have a couple of open slots in the back of my comptuer where I used to have cards and such. dust gets into my case either way
Old November 16, 2003, 05:20   #16
notyoueither
Deity

If it's not broken, don't fix it.
Old November 16, 2003, 05:22   #17
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

yes, but eventually he will need a better power supply.

It's your choice. Now or later. Just remember if you upgrade your motherboard/CPU, to upgrade your power supply and fans as well.
Old November 16, 2003, 05:32   #18
Urban Ranger
Deity

Looks like it's broken though, the HDD failures and the CD-ROM drive failure were probably caused by an unstable power supply.
Old November 16, 2003, 05:39   #19
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Hmm...maybe I should get one, then.

Another thing to add to my list.

Need a new UPS, too. The electronics in the old one got fried somehow a while back.
Old November 16, 2003, 05:41   #20
Urban Ranger
Deity

If your area gets lots of lightning storms or blackouts, UPS is a good idea. Otherwise it's probably just optional.
Old November 16, 2003, 05:43   #21
notyoueither
Deity

They got killed by the crap power the power company is feeding your PC. That is their job. They take the bullet for your PC.

Salute as you bury that soldier.
Old November 16, 2003, 05:44   #22
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
If your area gets lots of lightning storms or blackouts, UPS is a good idea. Otherwise it's probably just optional.
UPS are never optional if you want your computer to live a long and healthy life.
Old November 16, 2003, 05:45   #23
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
I got worse -- a 30 unit apartment building with antiquated wiring and a bank of heavy-duty coin-op washers and dryers in the basement.
Old November 16, 2003, 05:49   #24
Mr. Harley
Prince

Sometimes it's cheaper to get an entire case instead of just a new power supply, though less common with a tower. Try ComputerGeeks, or Pricewatch. However, I've lost two hard drives to a cheap power supply, so this is a place I'd recommend spending a little cash. Go over to Sharkey's extreme, and see what they're using in their current setups .
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.
Old November 16, 2003, 05:50   #25
notyoueither
Deity

I gave my mom a computer. It dies, and it was my fault. I had a tech fix it, had to replace the mother board. It dies again, and it was my fault again. I had a tech fix it, had to replace the power supply.

Gave it back to her again, along with a UPS. Immediately the site wiring fault light came on. Turns out none of the outlets in the house were grounded.

Hehe.
Old November 16, 2003, 05:55   #26
The Mad Monk
Emperor

I had to install a grounded outlet in my first apartment here, as none of the existing outlets were.

Let me tell you, it's fun playing with a circuit tester and live AC, looking for anything that could work as a ground.
Old November 16, 2003, 05:56   #27
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

my red alarm light is always on for my surge protector.

I say **** it.

My mom's house is 1940's era. It has no ground lugs I have to use an adaport to conver the 3 prongs to 2. And the ground (loop) isn't actually grounded . But that computer is a P133. No big loss if that goes.
Old November 16, 2003, 05:58   #28
Mr. Harley
Prince

Another discount site I've used, but not for power supplies.

http://www.computersurplusoutlet.com/showproduct.asp?category=18&subcategory=85

They've got some apparently good bargains, but again I'm not sure if bargain is the best move with power supplies.
Old November 16, 2003, 06:13   #29
The Mad Monk
Emperor

As an aside, everything OEM in this computer points to it being manufactured in early 1999, by Packard Bell, though it shows NEC on the front plate.

I remember buying it for $1000 mid to late '99 (maybe early '00), and thinking it a bargain at the time. Had I seen "Packard Bell" anywhere on the display, I wouldn't have purchased it, but it's been a good box all this time.
Old November 16, 2003, 06:35   #30
DRoseDARs
lifer
Spore
Emperor

My computer has three fans: one sucking air in and two blowing out (one dedicated to the power supply). Case has airholes on both sides of the tower, allowing additional airflow. I don't recall the age of the tower, but it has housed a couple of motherboards over the years.

All in the name of keeping it from overheating.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.