Old November 17, 2003, 10:08   #1
pmaura
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:40
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Bombard
Can bombard every kill a unit out right? I thinki it should be able to and I have never seen it in the game. Personaly I think that a coastal fortress should be able to sink ships with one hit. It would make them a lot more forbidable for stoping amphib attacks.

Also do people find artillert uselss. ?
pmaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2003, 10:30   #2
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Artillary usless? PAH!

Lets say you have held onto an elite Knight (4/3/2) for ages in order to try to get a MGL. You are in the late industrial age and there are Infantry (6/10/1) all over the place defending cities you want to capture. Send a stack of about 5 to 10 art (yes, I like overkill) covered by an inf of your own and your Elite Knight. You bomb the crap out of the city with the art until all defenders have only one hit point (which should be easy now that bombard hits units first) then go in with the knight. In 5 RNG situations, all you would need them is a single victory to kill an Infantry with a Knight. You will find that later in the game, Artilleray is not only useful, but essential.
Donegeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2003, 10:33   #3
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Oh yeah, the only way to allow a bombard to kill a unit, it would need the leathal land/sea bombard option flagged on the editor. Currently, I do not believe that any units have it marked (except possibly the Korean Ha'Wacha, because it is a UU. I am unsure of this though.)
Donegeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2003, 13:24   #4
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 05:40
Quote:
Originally posted by donegeal
Currently, I do not believe that any units have it marked (except possibly the Korean Ha'Wacha, because it is a UU. I am unsure of this though.)
Yes, the Bomber and maybe the Stealth Bomber now has lethal bombardment, as of Conquests. That's the main reason they added the anti-air units. And yes, the Ha'Wacha does have it as well.
Willem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2003, 14:18   #5
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 08:40
Yes you can now sink those ships with bombers in C3C. For the most part you have to drop them down to 1 HP, but I was able to sink a few with 2 HP.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2003, 14:41   #6
nuther
Chieftain

Artillery useless?

Artillery is one of the most unbalancing parts of the game. Its so devastating that its not even fun. It takes away a lot of the challenge. And there is no way that the ai can use it as well a human.
nuther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2003, 22:46   #7
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Quote:
Originally posted by donegeal
Send a stack of about 5 to 10 art (yes, I like overkill)...
Are you kidding?

"Hmmm... let's see, I have about 60 Arty to be deployed... is that two stacks of 30, or do I go crazy and send out three stacks of 20?"

Actually, I've cut waaaaay back on my use of Arty in PTW... I just don;t like all the damage and destruction. Not sure yet what I'll be doing in C3C.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2003, 23:31   #8
bigvic
Prince

Local Time: 07:40
Quote:
Originally posted by nuther
Artillery useless?

Artillery is one of the most unbalancing parts of the game. Its so devastating that its not even fun. It takes away a lot of the challenge. And there is no way that the ai can use it as well a human.
amen brother - as impressed as i am with conquests, i am mildly furious that this has been left unfixed. i really thinking they weould give the ai at least some ability to use land arty effectively. really - once a human figures this one out the ai is a pathetic, doomed weakling. gigantic hole, this one.

i like ibble blibble
bigvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2003, 11:30   #9
steven8r
Prince

Local Time: 06:40
I love artillery. Contrary to donegeal's statement, you can NEVER have too much overkill!

I know there are several on this forum whom disagree, but one thing that's always bothered me is that arty can NOT kill units. One of the first things I always do is use the editor to enable lethal bombardment--at least for sea, and most of the time for land as well.

I know, I know, it can be an unbalance that the AI won't use (haven't tried it yet in c3c), but it just seems wrong to me that you could nuke a ship and it be able to limp-off and recover health. Or, that some military unit could take an arty shell (or a hurled boulder, for that matter) to the chest, dig-in for a few turns and be perfectly OK. That whole concept just seems wrong to me.

As far as imbalance goes, well, I think that the great imbalance is a human player vs a computer. Even though the AI seems to be getting better, and I still don't win as much as I think I should, I think that any advantage that I can get, the better (for me anyways. I don't care about fairness to a computer.)

Anyway that's just my 2 cents worth. I love HUGE stacks of Leathal Arty!!!
Old November 18, 2003, 13:52   #10
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 05:40
Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
Yes you can now sink those ships with bombers in C3C. For the most part you have to drop them down to 1 HP, but I was able to sink a few with 2 HP.
You can also destroy land units IIRC.
Willem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2003, 18:16   #11
Traelin
Prince

Re: Bombard
Quote:
Originally posted by pmaura
Can bombard every kill a unit out right? I thinki it should be able to and I have never seen it in the game. Personaly I think that a coastal fortress should be able to sink ships with one hit. It would make them a lot more forbidable for stoping amphib attacks.

Also do people find artillert uselss. ?
Do coastal fortresses even do anything??? I have NEVER seen them do anything whatsoever, and they've had plenty of opportunities to take potshots.
Traelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2003, 18:02   #12
Tulkas77
Settler

Yes please answer this question. I have never seen them do anything at all.
Tulkas77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2003, 20:24   #13
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i've seen them take potshots before...

the unit has to move from a tile near the city to ANOTHER tile near the city (like ZOC for units)
Old November 23, 2003, 17:44   #14
steven8r
Prince

I have seen an attacking ship 'all of a sudden' lose 1 or 2 hp's when they attacked one of my cities. I think in the latest PTW patch, there's even a pop-up that says something like, "Coastal Fortress kicks-in". (That's just a paraphrase)

Edit>> Or perhaps it was MY ship that lost some points because of their Coastal Fortress. It's been so long, I can't remember.

I haven't seen it yet in C3C.
Old November 23, 2003, 19:58   #15
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I hear they changed a bit in C3C, but I never build them. In CivIII and PTW the AI would just stay out of their range. So I guess in a sense they worked as you seldom got anyone coming into the harbor of that city, sort of like an elephant fence in LA.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2003, 11:28   #16
steven8r
Prince

Something that I've noticed about Naval Bombardment: If you bombard a city with any naval units inside, your ships always hit (assuming that it IS actually a hit) ships first. If you want to wear-down the defenders hit points using ships, you must first redline any ships that are within the city, then you may start wearing down any land-based defenders.

A possible strategy to use if the AI is bombarding your town w/ ships, build a ship of your own (preferably in a city w/ a harbor) to 'catch' the bombs. That way your land units won't suffer from naval bombard. So far, ships don't seem to have 'Leathal enabled' so your ship will get redlined, then (if you have a harbor) will be fully healed next turn (like land units fortified in a city w/ a Barracks.)
Old November 26, 2003, 12:15   #17
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Willem

You can also destroy land units IIRC.
Right on!

I love it when my bombers blow away a tank column. Very satisfying. This is one addition I'm really enjoying - air units are very useful now!

As far as artillery...maybe once in awhile, one little AI cannon will poke out, shoot and run away. I more often see the AI artillery when going around enemy cities or units (a la blitzkreig) and they shoot then. I would agree the AI doesn't understand how to use the artillery.

Last edited by Shogun Gunner; November 26, 2003 at 12:20.
Shogun Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2003, 23:40   #18
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 00:40
Local Date: November 3, 2010
OK, here's a list (taken from settings viewed in the editor) of units that have lethal Sea Bombardment

Dromon
H'wacha
Fighter
Bomber
Jet Fighter
Stealth Fighter
F-15
Stealth Bomber
Cruise Missile

and that have lethal land bombardment

H'wacha
Bomber
Stealth Fighter
F-15
Stealth Bomber
Cruise Missile

Interesting how it gives the Byzantines and especially Koreans a GA-capable UU. Also to note, the Dromon has a ROF of 2, so you can kill another ship without even realising it! This is exactly what started my GA when I bombarded a Galley for the second time, when it had 2hp left - I killed it!

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
MrWhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote