Old November 17, 2003, 18:34   #1
Traelin
Prince

Local Time: 07:42
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Man am I impressed...
OK I've usually been involved in constructive criticism of PTW, but I really have to give credit where credit is due WRT C3C. Here's some of the changes I REALLY, REALLY dig:

1. Deserts giving 3 food when irrigated. What a great change. I can't stress this enough. It's realistic too.

2. AI not building a ridiculous amount of nukes, and not using them liberally (if at all). The developers are to be commended for this. How annoying it would be for me when the AIs (usually Rome) would nuke each other into oblivion and I'd be left with Mars in return. Either that or I'd end up having that "nuke crash to desktop" scenario.

3. Lethal bombardment. BIGTIME KUDOS FOR THIS ONE. Finally bombers are realistic.

4. AIs' use of air and naval warfare. So much good stuff has gone into the AI here. The AI now finally realizes the value of striking the city instead of the surrounding tiles. WTF would they want to destroy a perfectly good countryside anyways?

5. Cutthroat AI. Thank God the AI is now more willing to finish off opponents that they have by the cajones.

6. Limited rebase range. Awesome.

7. The Dutch. They make me very happy indeed. I finally have a non-militaristic Civ that I enjoy playing. Which leads to...

8. Agricultural and Seafaring traits. Man are these traits awesome when you are militaristic by nature and have Armies. Which leads to...

9. Army improvements. Movement, attack, defense, healing abilities all got much-needed improvements. Man are Armies awesome, and deservedly so.

10. Lack of sleep and sustenance. Oh wait a minute, this is not good. I haven't gone to the gym all week because of this d*mn game. The "one more turn" feeling is back for me in force. And the Modern Age absolutely rocks now IMO.

Sigh life is too short to be wasted away on a game.
Traelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2003, 18:46   #2
pauli
Prince

Local Time: 08:42
Quote:
1. Deserts giving 3 food when irrigated. What a great change. I can't stress this enough. It's realistic too.
@_@

wow. i wish i'd known. time to check it out...
Old November 17, 2003, 19:10   #3
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 05:42
Quote:
Originally posted by pauli

@_@

wow. i wish i'd known. time to check it out...
Irrigated deserts with an oasis produce 3 food for most civs, 4 food for agricultural civs (both subject to the depotism tile penalty). Normal deserts remain unchanged from PTW - except that agricultural civs can irrigate and have them jump from 0 to 2 food.

Catt
Catt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2003, 19:18   #4
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 22:42
I want this game

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Alexander's Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2003, 22:20   #5
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 14:42
Quote:
How does this work now, what has changed?
alva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2003, 22:57   #6
Catt
King

Quote:
Originally posted by alva
Quote:
How does this work now, what has changed?
I believe, but am not sure, that rebasing an air unit is limited to a maximum distance of 3x the air unit's range -- i.e., a bomber with 10-tile range could rebase no more than 30 tiles away in any one turn.

Catt
Old November 18, 2003, 00:15   #7
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I did not measure the range, but it sure seem to be plenty far enough. I rebase to another contient with no probelm. Each time a rebase, I expect to find it was not allowed, but that never happened.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2003, 01:51   #8
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 12:42
Quote:
The AI now finally realizes the value of striking the city instead of the surrounding tiles. WTF would they want to destroy a perfectly good countryside anyways?
That's actually one thing we are pushing to change. Bombarding cities works if the AI actually has troops marching towards that city in that turn. Most of the time, AI ships just bombard random cities within their range. The units heal the next turn. No damage done. Bombarding countryside affect production, road networks and gold income. it does more damage. May not be realistic to you, but it worked in vanilla civ3.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2003, 02:36   #9
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

The AI still pillages a bit. So far in my games, its been doing so smartly.
Sarxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2003, 11:05   #10
steven8r
Prince

Local Time: 06:42
#10. I can certainly identify with this one!!

I just got the game. Hello C3C, Goodbye weekend, weeknights, work-time, family, dogs, etc.

I'm not adicted! I can quit anytime I want--just one more turn!
Old November 18, 2003, 11:31   #11
Traelin
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by dexters

That's actually one thing we are pushing to change. Bombarding cities works if the AI actually has troops marching towards that city in that turn. Most of the time, AI ships just bombard random cities within their range. The units heal the next turn. No damage done. Bombarding countryside affect production, road networks and gold income. it does more damage. May not be realistic to you, but it worked in vanilla civ3.
IMO I hated when the AI bombarded the countryside. And what was even stupider was that if you captured THEIR cities, they would immediately bombard their OWN former cities (EDIT: cities' COUNTRYSIDES) into oblivion. By the time they can bombard en masse anyways, your production isn't going to be greatly affected by this tactic since you'll likely have a good-sized core. It's just a huge irritant. Bombarding a city IMO is incredibly smart because they can bring down your entire defenses, thereby enabling a much swifter capture of the city.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and how can you affect the production of a city any more than by bombarding it directly, removing improvements (ala factories etc.), and by decreasing the population? Bigtime, bigtime to changing the AI behavior on this.

Last edited by Traelin; November 18, 2003 at 12:00.
Old November 18, 2003, 11:33   #12
Traelin
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Catt

Irrigated deserts with an oasis produce 3 food for most civs, 4 food for agricultural civs (both subject to the depotism tile penalty). Normal deserts remain unchanged from PTW - except that agricultural civs can irrigate and have them jump from 0 to 2 food.

Catt
I'm using the Dutch ATM, and I'm almost positive (haven't played in a couple days) that my irrigated and railroaded deserts (w/out oases) are producing 3 food. That's one better than it used to be. Let me recheck it though.
Old November 18, 2003, 11:34   #13
Traelin
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
I did not measure the range, but it sure seem to be plenty far enough. I rebase to another contient with no probelm. Each time a rebase, I expect to find it was not allowed, but that never happened.
I play on huge maps, so maybe that is why I have had rebasing issues. Either way I like the change, because it just feels more realistic.
Old November 18, 2003, 11:50   #14
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 14:42
Agricultureal civs, like Dutch, produce extra +1food when irrigrating deserts.

So that gives 3 food with railroaded desert.

Pretty cool (especialy in Mesopotamia scenario were Egyptians are Agricultural).
player1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2003, 11:51   #15
Catt
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Traelin

I'm using the Dutch ATM, and I'm almost positive (haven't played in a couple days) that my irrigated and railroaded deserts (w/out oases) are producing 3 food. That's one better than it used to be. Let me recheck it though.
Agricultural civ + irrigated desert = 2 food.

Ag civ + Irr desert + RR = 3 food.

Catt
Old November 18, 2003, 11:58   #16
Traelin
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Catt

Agricultural civ + irrigated desert = 2 food.

Ag civ + Irr desert + RR = 3 food.

Catt
Ahh Catt, for the clarification. Well that is awesome IMO. Now it really is gonna be hard for me to play a non-Agr Civ because I always seem to end up having my initial city core in deserts. BTW, is there a Mil./Agr. Civ now? I'm being lazy and don't feel like looking it up.
Old November 18, 2003, 14:18   #17
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 06:42
Quote:
Originally posted by Traelin

Ahh Catt, for the clarification. Well that is awesome IMO. Now it really is gonna be hard for me to play a non-Agr Civ because I always seem to end up having my initial city core in deserts. BTW, is there a Mil./Agr. Civ now? I'm being lazy and don't feel like looking it up.
Aztecs
kring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2003, 14:20   #18
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 13:42
Aztecs were changed to Mil/Agr.

EDIT: Another crosspost.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
lockstep is offline   Reply With Quote