Old November 17, 2003, 23:22   #1
bigvic
Prince

Local Time: 07:43
Local Date: November 2, 2010
ai artillery in conquests
i've had conouests now for a few days, though have not played as much as i would have liked (24/7, that is), so am i right to assume the ai still can't use land artillery effectively? (SIGH) jeez - thought they'd have fixed that....

i like ibble blibble
Old November 18, 2003, 00:01   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 08:43
Nope.
Old November 18, 2003, 02:44   #3
bvoncranium
Warlord

Re: ai artillery in conquests
Quote:
Originally posted by bigvic
am i right to assume the ai still can't use land artillery effectively?
Let me guess - if/when an AI Civ obtains artillery, it sticks it in a defended city, probably the capital, where it stays indefinitely. It is never used offensively.

I imagine that writing a really effective set of AI heuristics would be tricky for field artillery; you'd have to factor in movement, ranges, hit probability, vulnerability to capture given opposition movement capabilities, how to protect them once they do fire, etc., etc., for each alternative use. There's no question that field artillery in the hands of a thoughtful commander can be extremely effective!

I'm certain that a much better AI for land artillery is do-able. However, I'd bet that given the size and complexity of the job, it was low on the feature priority list in the development plan to bring Conquests (or PTW) to market.

My 2 cents, bvc
Old November 18, 2003, 04:35   #4
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 12:43
AI DO use it offensively. I haven't watched enough late game land battles to really see to what extent.

I've seen AI ARTYs seiging cities on the edge of my fog of war field of vision. It happens.

Maybe the beta testers played a different version. The testers at CFC alluded to the fact that 'we'd know when we see a stack of 15 artys show up in front out our borders'

I personally haven't been attacked by any artys yet. But then again, I haven't had much late game world wars. So it's hard to say objectively.
Old November 18, 2003, 16:17   #5
bigvic
Prince

hmmm... late game, eh? guess i got to either stick one out or set up a test scenario...

i like ibble blibble