Old November 19, 2003, 01:38   #1
Ducay
Settler

Local Time: 12:48
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Corruption help in C3C
Hey guys, Im playing my second regular game of C3C now (passed the first 5 scenarios), and I have a bit of a problem.

Im playing a small sized map as the Germans. Its about 600 AD and I control 10 cities (only 1 is captured) and they are all on the same continant in a group. What my problem is, is that pretty much everyone one of my cities is suffering from massive corruption. I tried building a FP, as well as courthouses, but they really didnt help. Im currently using Monarchy and am at peace with everyone. All cities have road connections and some w/ harbours.

Any Ideas on what may be causing this? or how I can solve it. (or any way to turn down the corruption settings) This corruption is making it impossible to develp, as it takes forever to build anything

Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2003, 01:44   #2
Tassadar500
Emperor

Local Time: 05:48
Your cities are WAY to spaced out. That's the cause for the corruption. Ultimate city spacement is in my opinion CxxxC. And your capital is not even close to any of your cities. There is about 6 tiles difference to your closest city and about 15 to your farthest. If you want to know any improvements to your game just ask as I can easily help you along
Tassadar500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2003, 01:48   #3
Ducay
Settler

Thanks, I will keep this in mind.
I tend to build my empires this way, as so that each city is large enough to grow as much as it wants without losing cultural influence spaces due to other cities.
If I have them closer, but still the same amount, will there still be the corruption? or is it just the spacing.
Old November 19, 2003, 01:48   #4
Ducay
Settler

Also, if I were to keep this game going and more cities inbetween them, would that help eleviate some of the problems?
Old November 19, 2003, 01:51   #5
Tassadar500
Emperor

Well, no it wouldn't change the corruption that the original cities have. However it will make your civilization more productive.
Old November 19, 2003, 01:54   #6
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 00:48
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Corruption is based largely on the distance from your capital, Government form and how many cities you have. In your case, if you had your Palace in the centre, say Munich, you would have dramatically less corruption, as Civ3 works if you have Centralised Palaces and FPs.

I understand what you mean about wanting lots of land for your cities (I used to myself), but a tactic used by the strat greats here that I tried and since adopted is building them with a little overlap. Your cities can't grow beyond 12 pop until Sanitation, really late in the game, so it is a waste if there is more than 12 spaces available exclusively to each city. You may not even want to build Hospitals for 12+ cities as there is a sharp onset of pollution at pop 12 that creates loads of icky stuff to clean up.

There are some fantastically detailed analyses on Corruption and how best to deal with it in Civ2 in the Strat forum (that we should all be using more often!), and if you poke around you will find the exceptional work people like alexman and Catt have done to show you how to make the most of it.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
MrWhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2003, 01:56   #7
Ducay
Settler

Again, thanks for the quick help. So having that many cities shouldnt affect corruption/ waste.

My main concern is loss of production (waste? or corruption?) So, by adding more cities into my existing empire will decrease the loss of my sheilds?
Old November 19, 2003, 01:57   #8
Tassadar500
Emperor

Actually the closer you space your cities the more production you get. But don't go spacing your cities cxcxcx Also close city spacing means you need less workers and military units.
Old November 19, 2003, 02:03   #9
Ducay
Settler

Great info!

I will try this on a new scenario tommorow.
Thanks to both of you.
I guess having more than 12 space/ city is a waste. (I guess that is why the CPU always builds em' so close together.
Old November 19, 2003, 02:48   #10
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

If your cities are not celebrating "We Love the __ Day;" well, it would help your production a lot if they were.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Jaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2003, 03:41   #11
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 08:48
There is a problem with the corruption and the FP. Attempts to cure the RCP have made a mess of corruption.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote