Old November 20, 2003, 19:12   #91
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 08:51
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Actually che, they'd probably be against it. They'd rather have their own gauges and part sizes so their competitors couldn't sell to those companies. It was Congress that decided on a standard gauge to prevent company rail lines that didn't match.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old November 20, 2003, 19:13   #92
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I dunno. A lot of those regs loked like maintenence and upkeep, so that stuff has to be replaced more frequently.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old November 20, 2003, 19:18   #93
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

The few upkeep stuff may be the best regulations there, to prevent broken parts to be used until the trains come off the tracks. I doubt they were pushed by the companies. Most likely after an accident or two, public outcry did it.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old November 20, 2003, 19:48   #94
Adam Smith
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

The regs were originally voluntary guidelines needed for the interchange of equipment among private firms. The government expanded them, made them mandatory, and can and will bust you for violations. OSHA regs are similarly detailed, and have similarly little effect.

One side effect is that regs like this freeze technology. For example, US railroad signal boxes use vacuum tubes adn relays, because it would literally take an Act of Congress to allow the use of integrated circuits.

And yes, Che, its because I respect you.
Old November 20, 2003, 20:00   #95
Kuciwalker
Deity

The whole thing about voting for a Democrat or Republican because otherwise your vote is "wasted" reminds me of a Hitchhiker's quote:

Quote:
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard," said Ford, "the wrong lizard might get in."
Old November 20, 2003, 21:13   #96
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 02:51
Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun

Alrighty then -- no more of that again.

But it was just ***-for-tat, you have to admit.
Wimp. Of course my ass is Ming's...
Old November 20, 2003, 21:18   #97
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Adam Smith
IIRC the relevant provision was a Pennsylvania state law which prohibited mining within 300 feet of an existing mine. The company thought it was in compliance. The problem was that the maps were bad.
Don't be mixing in facts like that. Che likes to live in fantasy land. I mean we are talking about a person who still idolizes communism...
Old November 20, 2003, 21:22   #98
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramo

Other reasons for a libertarian to support Dean:
-His campaign is actually democratic! It's a grass-roots campaign, not run by a bunch of corporations and other entrenched interests that the Republicans and Democrats stand for. Voting for Dean in 2004 means revolutionizing politics - and the possibily to vote for Browne, etc., down the line. This is probably the biggest reason I'm supporting him. I don't like quoting politicians, but as Dean said, I want my country back!
-He's a step forward on ending the war on drugs. Not a huge step, and he's been doing some considerable waffling on this issue, but he seems to want to somewhat scale back prison time for using drugs. For instance, he's said he'd support a moratorium on medical marijuana raids.
-As I just wrote, he's said he'd scale back agrisubsidies to only family-farms.
-He's argued for a less extremist position on a wide variety of foreign policy issues from Colombia to Israel.
-He's argued for far less corporate welfare in general.
He is still getting lots of union and fatcat and trial lawyer dollars. They have set up soft money fronts to spend the stuff. Soros gave 10 million.
Old November 20, 2003, 21:23   #99
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I'm caught up now...
Old November 20, 2003, 23:47   #100
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 07:51
Quote:
Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
The hard way is my specialty. You're lucky I let you learn the easy way this time.
Old November 21, 2003, 00:13   #101
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Quote:
And I can tell you, from having actually done the analysis, that there is zero, zip, nada, not any correlation between increased enforcement of these regulations and improved railroad safety.
That is really surprising to me. I always assumed that at least some regulation in most industries was good. Maybe I ought to rethink my assumptions.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old November 21, 2003, 00:14   #102
Ned
King

Local Time: 04:51
It looks like Che has found a Democrat he likes.

Che, you made a good point about the shrimp and about the slave labor. Obviously, we need to impose restrictions on shrimp fishing as a part of global treaties with international enforcement. It makes no sense to impose restrictions only on US shrimpers.

Ditto, "slave" labor. However, IIRC, Bush made a very strong statement concerning slavery in his speech to the UN. Did they do anything about it? Has Dean even mentioned the problem?
Old November 21, 2003, 00:16   #103
Ned
King

Also, Clinton is the free trader in America. Bush has been very protectionist. Were a Democrat from the Clinton wing running, I would consider supporting him or her. But alas, all the Dems seem to have gone seriously left, with Dean constantly moving even farther left to provide separation.
Old November 21, 2003, 00:39   #104
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DanS

That is really surprising to me. I always assumed that at least some regulation in most industries was good. Maybe I ought to rethink my assumptions.
I've seen lots of times where increased stringency of a safety standard does not convert into more safety. there are lots of regulations with poor cost/benefit. Not all. But many.
Old November 21, 2003, 00:58   #105
Berzerker
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Nor does regulation kill. In fact, it does the opposite. It saves lives.
Tell that to the millions killed by the DEA and FDA.
Old November 21, 2003, 01:00   #106
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

doper
Old November 21, 2003, 01:05   #107
Ned
King

I really do not believe that the regulation that Dean is talking about are safety regulations. He is talking about economic regulations: restrictions on ownership, prices, etc. The safety regulations take care of themselves by the robust tort law system in the US. A worker gets hurt. If the company was wilfully negligent, they get punitive damages in addition to compensatory. This alone is enough to keep everyone safe.

Che's example feces on the meat and mice in the sandwiches are so overblown as to be ludicrous. If anything of the sort ever did happen, the company responsible would soon be put out of business because no one would deal with them anymore.
Old November 21, 2003, 03:23   #108
Berzerker
Emperor

boozer
Old November 21, 2003, 03:44   #109
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 15:51
Quote:
Originally posted by Berzerker

Old November 21, 2003, 04:05   #110
Berzerker
Emperor

Azazel, ever hear an FDA spokesman hold a press conference to announce how 50,000 people will not die next year because the FDA has just approved a new drug? I have... so don't laugh...because that means ~50,000 died last year, and ~50,000 the year before...and so on...because they were waiting for the FDA to give them permission to use a drug that would have saved their lives...

Real funny, huh...
Old November 21, 2003, 04:14   #111
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Tell that to the millions killed by the ... FDA.
Yeah, I'm so pissed that we missed all the fun with thalidomide and the like. Damn government for trying to make sure drugs meet certain safety standards.
Old November 21, 2003, 04:33   #112
Berzerker
Emperor

Dino, whether or not the FDA saves lives is irrelevant to whether or not the FDA kills people. You want the FDA to make drugs "safe"? Then don't deny that the FDA kills people too, you just prefer a deal with the devil to kill some people to save others. So maybe you can be a little pissed about all the people who've died because of the FDA... They deserve better than laughter or sarcasm...
Old November 21, 2003, 13:56   #113
NeOmega
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by TCO

He is still getting lots of union and fatcat and trial lawyer dollars. They have set up soft money fronts to spend the stuff. Soros gave 10 million.
Even better, since I think George Soros is a great man, one of the world's greatest!
Old November 21, 2003, 14:12   #114
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:

Okay, ya got me.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old November 21, 2003, 14:13   #115
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by NeOmega
Even better, since I think George Soros is a great man, one of the world's greatest!
Are you sure you aren't a leftie?
Old November 21, 2003, 14:45   #116
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Ditto, "slave" labor. However, IIRC, Bush made a very strong statement concerning slavery in his speech to the UN. Did they do anything about it? Has Dean even mentioned the problem?
Ooooh, Shrub made a speech! That certainly is extremely substantial, and negates for instance when he helps to legitimize the Musharraf regime that treats poor farmers as slaves.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old November 21, 2003, 16:24   #117
Berzerker
Emperor

Quote:
Okay, ya got me.
Old November 21, 2003, 17:14   #118
Berzerker
Emperor

Azazel and Dino, I apologise. I know you guys weren't making light of the people who've died waiting for permission from the FDA to use drugs that would have saved their lives.
Old November 21, 2003, 17:47   #119
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 15:51
thanks.
I was simply shocked by that statement. While you maybe literally right, in a way, that doesn't mean that the FDA is a bad thing.
Old November 21, 2003, 17:55   #120
Japher
Emperor

Local Time: 12:51
Ppl have died because of a drug as well as the lack of a drug.

The FDA is there to make sure that when I person takes a medicine they don't end up dying as a result of it. I mean, they took the drug to get better, not to die.

The last company I worked for always had protests out front by people who wanted to get in on clinical trials for certain drugs.