Old December 19, 2003, 16:18   #151
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 12:53
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Offer him PHOTOGRAPHS of HongHu if he stays in the game.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old December 19, 2003, 16:33   #152
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Local Time: 06:53
I thought you were going to take over university.

Grapefruit Garden
Old December 19, 2003, 19:32   #153
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

It depends if there IS a university...

-Jam
Old December 20, 2003, 17:34   #154
Micha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG3 MorganACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG PeaceACDG Planet University of TechnologyCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Team Banana
King

Local Time: 13:53
Hello to the hello thread! I hate Christmas...
Nobody´s here... One could think in the most populated faction on chiron there would be ANYONE to talk to on a SATURDAY EVENING...
Old December 20, 2003, 17:54   #155
Mead
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 MorganAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 07:53
Hello All

Sorry I have not worked much with the Hive.

I am still having problems with downloading and opening the save. I did get the password via PM. I think the problem is either my inability to properly extract the Zip file or properly load the correct .sav.

Could you all explain how to do it.

I think it is:

1. Go to Turn Thread on Main Forum
2. Download "to Hive save"
3. In Windows "my computer" extract all
4. Start SMAX
5. Play PBEM Go play Hot Seat
6. Load that Save
7. Enter password

Then I think I should then be able to see the save.

Can you explain what I am doing wrong?

Can you guys give me a detailed, step by step, guide to loading and viewing the save.

It might help me if a copy of the save is posted in an internal Hive Forum in non Zip Format.

Hong Hu seems to doing a good job with a lot of the work on the game and it is starting to look real interesting.

Mead

PS

Hopefully my abilities of actually understanding and playing SMAX are better than my demonstated skill level of downloading and viewing the save.
Old December 20, 2003, 18:13   #156
Micha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG3 MorganACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG PeaceACDG Planet University of TechnologyCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Team Banana
King

Hm, the steps you describe are all correct. Besides the
<3. In Windows "my computer" extract all>
It is exactly what I do. You´re using Windows 9x, 2k or XP? If so, then there should be no problem...

What is the nature of your problem? Does it return an error message after typing the password or what?
Old December 20, 2003, 23:13   #157
Mead
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Micha
Hm, the steps you describe are all correct. Besides the
<3. In Windows "my computer" extract all>
It is exactly what I do. You´re using Windows 9x, 2k or XP? If so, then there should be no problem...

What is the nature of your problem? Does it return an error message after typing the password or what?
I download acdg - hive, 2150 as a zip file. (I know I downloaded something because it is 88.7 kb big)

then, I right click on it and select Extract All

then, the Extract Wizard Box opens up and says select a folder to extract files to

And, that's as far as I can go.

When I hit the Next button nothing happens.

I tried putting putting the password in. I tried putting it in different folders and tried to extract it on different computers but I get no success.

If I doubleclick on the file it says "the path 2150.zip does not exist or is not a directory."

When I downloaded the Uni - 2149.sav I was able to try to load it into SMAX but the Password would not work. Are we only able to load the acdg - hive saves?

There must be something real simple that I am doing wrong. I remember reading somewhere that the real important things are always simple, but the real simple things are always hard.

I'm using Windows Millineum Edition

Mead
Old December 20, 2003, 23:42   #158
Kody
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 22:53
We can only load the hive saves.

From the sounds of it you're trying to load the unextracted zip file and you're extracting the actual save to a folder somewhere completely different.
Old December 20, 2003, 23:44   #159
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Mead I know you don't have MSN right? Is there a way that we can chat while you do it so we can walk with you through it?

Grapefruit Garden
Old December 21, 2003, 00:43   #160
Snowflake
Princess

Here's an unzipped version of the save if you still need it Mead.

http://apolyton.net/upload/files/Hon...-Hive2149a.SAV

Grapefruit Garden
Old December 21, 2003, 18:41   #161
Jamski
Deity

Merry Xmas Everyone!

Fröhliche Weihnachten Alle!

-Jam
Old December 21, 2003, 22:41   #162
Mead
King

Quote:
Originally posted by HongHu
Here's an unzipped version of the save if you still need it Mead.

http://apolyton.net/upload/files/Hon...-Hive2149a.SAV
Thanks for trying but it still is not working. When I click on the Link I get a text file that starts TERRAN followed by several pages of symbols.

Can you post the save in a .SAV format on one of the Hive internal forums?

Mead

EDIT ADD: As I was looking through it it has a bunch of dialog involving Buster and Tassadr and others.

Last edited by Mead; December 21, 2003 at 22:49.
Old December 21, 2003, 22:43   #163
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 22:53
This is most likely because Alien Crossfire starts with the Terranx.exe.
Old December 21, 2003, 22:52   #164
Mead
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Enigma_Nova
This is most likely because Alien Crossfire starts with the Terranx.exe.
Do you mind trying to walk me through the download right now?
Old December 22, 2003, 00:19   #165
Snowflake
Princess

It was a save format. I'm not sure what was the problem. Hopefully Enigma would be able to help you.

Also just a note that we are not supposed read the conversations in the save from word.

Grapefruit Garden
Old December 22, 2003, 09:05   #166
Micha
King

Hm, when I click on the link, the download window opens. No problem with that.

Mead, what system are you using? WIN 98 ME, with Internet Explorer? Or Opera? Perhaps your settings are just messed, like "always open *.SAV with MSWord" or something like that...
Old December 22, 2003, 11:40   #167
Snowflake
Princess

I think Micha is right. Just remember you have to save the file to your hard drive instead of openning it.

Grapefruit Garden
Old December 22, 2003, 12:56   #168
Micha
King

I have now worked on the RECALL update for almost four hours...

I am losing motivation to go on with an ever increasing ratio! I think I´ll take a break now and watch the Simpson´s double episode. It´s starting in...

...argh, gotta go!!!
Old December 22, 2003, 13:58   #169
Snowflake
Princess

Just read what you added there. Looks great! Appreciate the hard work. If you would like me to help with a certain time period I'm more than happy to help. Just tell me which dates you would like me to cover.

Grapefruit Garden
Old December 22, 2003, 15:55   #170
Micha
King

Basically the whole month of October
Well, I´ll work on it for another four hours so let´s see how far I get.

This morning there were around 80 days not covered, now there are only 46 left. It´s possible to do it myself, I think.
Another concern is the detail of information given. As you were taking care of many of the diplomatic aspects and the infiltration department, you will know things I wouldn´t think of. Feel free to add them

Basically anyone can work on the RECALL, just keep with the style and state your work in the first post, too.
Old December 22, 2003, 15:57   #171
Snowflake
Princess

Have you not slept the last night Comrade Micha?

Grapefruit Garden
Old December 22, 2003, 16:13   #172
Micha
King

lol, actually I have slept till noon

No, I started the update on 2pm, had a break at six, and now I´m going to continue till 1 or 2 am. Hehe, if I don´t screw it and just read a book, that is
Old December 22, 2003, 18:35   #173
Micha
King

Ok, filled in the gasp for the actual turns played, and since the post length exceeded the maximum size, I had to split it up. Now it looks strange because of all the Spam posts in between...

I wonder how this will be when I have to open a third part...

However, I will stop for now, since reading about seven pages of turnchats is really.. well, annoying

Now all the diplomacy stuff and some other things are still missing, but I think the big chunk is done
Hehe, I really earned me a good noodle meal now
Old December 22, 2003, 18:56   #174
Snowflake
Princess

You deserve something better than noodles Comrade! The way you work day after night for the party. We'll have to make sure Comrade Oct send you some of the xenodoughnuts he made by himself.

Now going to read the glorious history of the Human Hive.

Grapefruit Garden
Old December 22, 2003, 19:04   #175
Snowflake
Princess

Quote:
Originally posted by Micha
Ok, filled in the gasp for the actual turns played, and since the post length exceeded the maximum size, I had to split it up. Now it looks strange because of all the Spam posts in between...

p
Understand how this looks like now. May I humbly suggest that you edit my post so that the history gets to be continuously recorded? You have my permission to erase all the spam comments in that post and we'll insert a disclaimer that the history is written by Micha instead of HongHu and HongHu simply reserved a space for it.

Grapefruit Garden
Old December 22, 2003, 19:10   #176
Snowflake
Princess

Here's some diplomatic related events that can be added. Sorry I didn't have time to edit the wordings, simply copied it from my covert report:

the Hive agreed to a 35 year “research and non-agression pact” in turn 2141 with PEACE
A university scout appeared on our land in turn 2142. A treaty was offered with a demand that they remove the scout from our land. Comrade Octavian X was assigned to be the uni Ambassador.
We obtained CyCon commlink from the Drones in turn 2143. A treaty was signed immediately. Comrade HongHu was assigned to be the CyCon Ambassador.

Grapefruit Garden
Old December 22, 2003, 19:26   #177
Micha
King

Thank you very much, Comrade!

Actually, I think it will do as it is now. With only one little post in between, it doesn´t suffer too much. However, when the third part becomes nesseccary, I´d like to edit your post only containing "red?". That would be great

Last edited by Micha; December 22, 2003 at 20:24.
Old December 23, 2003, 00:40   #178
Mead
King

Quote:
Originally posted by HongHu
I think Micha is right. Just remember you have to save the file to your hard drive instead of openning it.

I figured it out and can now see.

My computer did not like the comma "," in the name of the downloaded zip file. It treated the comma just like a "/" and tried to find the subdirectory Hive2150. When it couldn't find that subdirectory it just quit.

Anyway, I'm now in the game. I got a lot of questions. Maybe this isn't the right place for first impressions, but let me get them out while they are still fresh in my mind.

Why are we Green? Isn't the Hive supposed to be Blue?

Why do the CC bases look like Alien Bases on the Map?

We are running a very lean empire. I know we are trying to focus on building, but why do we have so few units?

Would more units help with Policing Drones? (I notice we are running Police State/Wealth; wow I love that industry bonus)

Are we not vulnerable to an invasion by a hostile force?

How quickly can we generate some good units if we are threatened?

Speaking of good units, where are they? I don't think I saw the Tech for Impact. Do we have it? How are we going to get it?

I saw four probes, but only one foil probe, is that a good ratio?

Are you guys using the Stocklpile 'bug' to enhance turn advantage? That could explain the large number of bases in Stockpile. I have not used it in the past so I am not familiar on how it works.

I noticed we are not ICS'ing, but even so there still looks like there is a lot of room for more bases; don't we have the PTS?

Although we have the VW, I didn't see many NN's.

Do we know the intentions of that Drone CP that is on our western border? If he establishes a base that will move the border east.

I guess I should stop now and direct my questions to the more appropriate forums, but I got so excited when I was finally able to figure out how to see the game, I just had to get out these first impressions while they were still fresh.

Mead

PS

Thanks to all for your patience with a newbie PBEM'er.
Old December 23, 2003, 01:45   #179
Snowflake
Princess

Well I may not be the best person to answer all of your questions but I will attemp answer a few:

Quote:
Originally posted by Mead
Why are we Green? Isn't the Hive supposed to be Blue?
Why do the CC bases look like Alien Bases on the Map?
You need to change the order of players in your alpha.txt file I think. We are the first player in the game. Followed by uni, CC, peace, and drones. Not sure where the two AIs are.
Quote:
We are running a very lean empire. I know we are trying to focus on building, but why do we have so few units?
Would more units help with Policing Drones? (I notice we are running Police State/Wealth; wow I love that industry bonus)
Are we not vulnerable to an invasion by a hostile force?
How quickly can we generate some good units if we are threatened?
If you look at the univ, you'll know who is truly running a lean empire. Currently we have enough units for policing the drones. And I believe we do have the ability to generate a big military force because our industry strength and the number of bases we have compare to other factions.

Quote:
Speaking of good units, where are they? I don't think I saw the Tech for Impact. Do we have it? How are we going to get it?
Good units will be here the next turn or two. Just wait.

Quote:
I saw four probes, but only one foil probe, is that a good ratio?
We are pacted with three of the four human faction and very likely to get the governorship so infiltration is not currently a challenging problem for us.

Quote:
Are you guys using the Stocklpile 'bug' to enhance turn advantage? That could explain the large number of bases in Stockpile. I have not used it in the past so I am not familiar on how it works.
Yes although all bases should be producing something. Stockpile should be in the queue. This gives you extra ecs. You just need to remember to change production whever a base finishes its current production.

Quote:
I noticed we are not ICS'ing, but even so there still looks like there is a lot of room for more bases; don't we have the PTS?
Although we have the VW, I didn't see many NN's.
Yes we are currently trying to build more nodes. Also we are not in a big hurry to pump more bases out since we want to pop booming some bases through golden age first to get to size 5 bases so we can use librarains to increase our reseach speed. More bases would mean we can't pop boom through GA.

Quote:
Do we know the intentions of that Drone CP that is on our western border? If he establishes a base that will move the border east.
I think this is correct. Though we are not very concerned about what drones does since they are our pact brother I think Kody has noticed this and will perhaps talk to buster about this.

Quote:
I guess I should stop now and direct my questions to the more appropriate forums, but I got so excited when I was finally able to figure out how to see the game, I just had to get out these first impressions while they were still fresh.
I'm so happy that you feel interested in the game. It is indeed pertty fun isn't it?

Grapefruit Garden
Old December 23, 2003, 05:29   #180
Micha
King

Well folks, I´m off to my christmas holidays now

I wish you all a very merry Xmas, and a happy new year, too!

I´ll be back at the beginning of January, so don´t mess things up till then

Bye!