Old November 20, 2003, 06:03   #1
Ancyrean
Chieftain

Local Time: 21:54
Local Date: November 2, 2010
New explosions in Istanbul!
Just heard about yet three more bomb attacks in Istanbul!

According to CNN targets hit are: The HSBC HQ in Istanbul, someplace near the British Consulate and outside a popular mall! Death toll is so far 3, but the might increase as more details come in...

According to Turkish news sources I could check in a hurry, it's in fact 4 explosions,and there's a little bit confusion about the exact sites of the explosions as well as the number of people that lost their lives...I believe many more details will come in in a very short time

Just a few days after the synagogue bombings...I somehow can't help but believe it's some al-qaida associated scum...
Old November 20, 2003, 06:37   #2
Rufus T. Firefly
King

Local Time: 08:54
Reuters is saying 6 dead.

Targets look to be British: a British bank (HSBC) and the British consulate were both hit.

I'm suddenly a lot less enthusiastic about flying from Istanbul to London tomorrow.
Old November 20, 2003, 07:48   #3
Ancyrean
Chieftain

Death toll increased to 15, with 320 wounded!!...It's just been a short while after the attacks, and I'm afraid the numbers may not stop there

All this just around the time of Bush's visit to Britain...Did they do all this to sour the glory of a first state visit of a US president to the UK? Rufus, I'm sure the British police will be on top of things about security particularly these days but in any case, just try to stay away from where the demonstrations will take place in London Or was this the sort of effect the perpetrators of the attack in Istanbul wanted to create in the first place??

It's possible to read all sorts of things into the timing of the recent bombings in Istanbul, or connect them to other attacks elsewhere, but so short a time after this latest incident I can't help but try to make a connection
Old November 20, 2003, 08:27   #4
Berzerker
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 07:54
Nah, these attacks were probably being planned long before Bush's visit to London, although they may have rescheduled the attacks a bit to coincide with the visit.
Old November 20, 2003, 08:49   #5
The Viceroy
Prince

Local Time: 13:54
British Foreign Office advising against all but essential travel to Turkey.

I believe this to be an over reaction .. The Turkish people are friends and allies, and it sends the wrong signals out, that somehow going to Turkey is unsafe ..
Old November 20, 2003, 09:02   #6
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 06:54
25 dead, 390 wounded
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old November 20, 2003, 09:15   #7
Winston
Emperor

Local Time: 14:54
Sounds relatively unsafe to me.
Old November 20, 2003, 09:27   #8
The Viceroy
Prince

Turkey is not unsafe ! the IRA blew up bombs in London, but did any other nation slap such caution to ALL of the UK ??

No.

I could understand Caution being expressed to visitors to Istanbul (to be wary), but to say the whole of turkey is unsafe is just not true.
Old November 20, 2003, 10:15   #9
Rufus T. Firefly
King

Quote:
Originally posted by The Viceroy
Turkey is not unsafe ! the IRA blew up bombs in London, but did any other nation slap such caution to ALL of the UK ??

No.

I could understand Caution being expressed to visitors to Istanbul (to be wary), but to say the whole of turkey is unsafe is just not true.
I agree with your overall sentiment, but there is a difference in your analogy. When the IRA set off such bombs in Britian, they were targeting the British; whoever is doing this is clearly targetting foreigners. I've always felt safe in Turkey, but I've never been as circumspect about being a foreigner here as I am right now.
Old November 20, 2003, 10:50   #10
lightblue
Warlord

It is is Istanbul they have issued a travel warning for, and to be honest after what, 7?, bombs in the last week, you can sort of see their point. If I was going on holiday there, I'd cancel my trip.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3222608.stm

Quote:
Reports say British Consul-General Roger Short was among 14 people killed in the attack on the consulate, but the UK Foreign Office has not confirmed this.
It’s a great art, is rowing. It’s the finest art there is. It’s a symphony of motion. And when you reach perfection, you are touching the divine. It touches the you of yous – which is your soul. George Pocock
What fun is that? Why all that hard, exhausting work? Where does it get you? What is the good of it? It is one of the strange ironies of life that those who work the hardest, who subject themselves to the strictest discipline, who give up certain pleasurable things in order to achieve a goal, are the happiest. Brutus Hamilton
Old November 20, 2003, 10:58   #11
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Firstly my condolences to the Turkish victims.

Then, IMHO those attacks seem indeed to have as targets "foreign interests".

I've visited the City once and there was no danger. I took a walk to roads, bazaars etc and thoroughly enjoyed it. The people were very friendly.
Old November 20, 2003, 10:59   #12
C0ckney
King

paki, don't troll this you bell end.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old November 20, 2003, 11:00   #13
Bereta_Eder
Settler

How am I trolling you retard?
Old November 20, 2003, 11:03   #14
C0ckney
King

don't 'play' dumb

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old November 20, 2003, 11:04   #15
Bereta_Eder
Settler

You are clueless.
Old November 20, 2003, 11:05   #16
MikeH
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-League
OTF Moderator

Not sure you meant it but why only condolences to the Turkish victims not the others?

We've got both kinds
Old November 20, 2003, 11:10   #17
Bereta_Eder
Settler

My sentiments lie primarely with the Turkish victims not with HSBC or the British Consulate. After that all loss of human life is tragic.
Old November 20, 2003, 11:13   #18
C0ckney
King

that's very big hearted of you...

Old November 20, 2003, 11:13   #19
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 15:54
This is bad.. This will have effects on tourism as well, with the tragedy of victims. Let's hope they catch the bastards and bring them justice.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old November 20, 2003, 11:16   #20
MikeH
staff
OTF Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by paiktis22
My sentiments lie primarely with the Turkish victims not with HSBC or the British Consulate. After that all loss of human life is tragic.
Why does it make a difference?

We've got both kinds
Old November 20, 2003, 11:19   #21
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeH

Why does it make a difference?

Because HSBC and the British Consulate represent concrete interests. The Turkish people themselves represent none and have in fact strived as best as they could to not throw oil in the machines of terrorism.
Old November 20, 2003, 11:25   #22
MikeH
staff
OTF Moderator

Ah. So if British people who work in a bank get bombed they deserved it?

Nice.

We've got both kinds
Old November 20, 2003, 11:29   #23
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Many would deserve many things if there was indeed justice for everyone. If they deserved it or not, of course noone deserves getting killed.
Old November 20, 2003, 11:51   #24
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by C0ckney
paki, don't troll this you bell end.
BTW just noticed that. In the UK this is a slur if I'm not mistaken. Thanks for the honour.
Old November 20, 2003, 12:00   #25
lord of the mark
Deity

Condolences to all the victims of terrorism.

Note well, an attack on foreign interests in Turkey is also an attack on Turkey. The AQ strategy seems to be to isolate the muslim world from the West - with its attacks in Bali, Jakarta, Riyadh, and Istanbul (and attacks in Iraq on the UN, Red Cross, Italians, and pro-Coalition Iraqis). This would weaken moderate, pro-Western muslims.
Old November 20, 2003, 12:02   #26
Winston
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by paiktis22
Thanks for the honour.
I'm afraid you wouldn't know honour if it bit you in the middle finger you're so busy pointing at some of the victims.
Old November 20, 2003, 12:04   #27
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Yes my dear Wiston of course. You might try to despose of your despise of me and your personal attacks of me for this thread though? It's the least you can do. Don't forget they really characterize you, not me.
Old November 20, 2003, 12:07   #28
Ancyrean
Chieftain

It has now been confirmed that the British Consul General is among the dead! The footage from the blast scenes are gruesome Cliche or not, what I see once more on the screen is terror has no bounds or limits, knows no nationality, spares no soul...My condolences to all the victims, from far away here...

In a sweep, here's what I could get from the developments:

Death toll now 26, wounded 450! Bush, Blair, UN Secretary General Kofi Annan strongly condemn the attacks, EU parliament holds a moment of silence for all who lost their lives in the attacks...Turkish and British governments exchange condolences...The same Turkish fringe fundamentalist group as well as al qaida claim responsibility....Turkish authorities once more dismiss the capability of that local group is adequate for such attacks...

Quote:
I agree with your overall sentiment, but there is a difference in your analogy. When the IRA set off such bombs in Britian, they were targeting the British; whoever is doing this is clearly targetting foreigners. I've always felt safe in Turkey, but I've never been as circumspect about being a foreigner here as I am right now.
I catch the drift here, but I believe the aim was not to scare foreigners away from Turkey, but to scare Turkey from "foreigners", to make Turkey regret its staunch position as an ally of the West, a balanced friend of Israel and its frontal position in the war on terror. I believe, at this juncture, the perpetrators aimed more to "teach the Turks a lesson", and in a way also demonstrating their antagonism towards the West. Hence the aiming of Western (British, in this instance) assets without any regard for the lives of "fellow Muslims".

What the terrorist scum can't figure out is that this is under no circumstance happen. Turkish people do not feel the slightest sympathy towards al-qaida, osama bin laden or any associated sh!thead, and if I know the country I grew up in, this kind of an outrage will not inspire any kind of affection for these people
Old November 20, 2003, 12:43   #29
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 06:54
I don't understand pacifism. How can anyone still be a pacifist after these kind of terrorist attacks?
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old November 20, 2003, 12:52   #30
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 12:54
Because war is probably why these attacks happend in the first place.
Violence promotes violence. Continue the cycle and it never ends, obviously.