Old November 20, 2003, 11:44   #1
pmaura
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:56
Local Date: November 2, 2010
leading The Tech Race
I have asked this before and I got some apporiate answers but I just can not seem to be able to build the space ship in time. So I figure maybe regent is to difficult so I drop down one level and I stil lcan not get a decent lead in the tech race even when I dominate with cities. Is this a conquest related issue as I know prior to conquest I could be nuking people circa 1900 now I get nukes a hundred years later. I used the Koreans to as well a scientific comercial people.
pmaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2003, 16:19   #2
nuther
Chieftain

I'm wondering how often you trade with the ai. If you trade often, it should not be too hard to get all of their money and develop a tech lead because they are too poor to do research. In C3C there seems to be a bug where you get more money than you should from trading. This may explain why the ai still can keep up with your research; they are trading amongst themselves.
nuther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2003, 18:21   #3
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:56
The game I am labouring to finish the tech tree in is on Monarch. I have been ahead in tech since the late Ancient Age.

Right at the moment I have 5 Modern Age techs. The nearest AI is working on Air Power, Mass Production, and Electronics, IIRC.

I have followed a path of not trading tech to or from the AI as a general rule. Despite the gpt bug and one of the AIs having ~30,000 gold in the bank it has been a bit of a romp. I focused on science improvements as soon as my core was safe behind the ruins of most of the civ nearest to me at start.
notyoueither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2003, 18:42   #4
pmaura
Chieftain

that gpt might make sense. I remember some civs out there having an enormous amount of cash reserves which would allow them to maintain large armies higher research and happiness. I wonder if that is the problem.

How does this bug work if a civ offers me 5gpt does it benefit me greatly or does it only benefit the ai civ
pmaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2003, 18:45   #5
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:56
The gpt bug benefits human or AI. Whatever the amount is, the recipient gets it twice. I think the payer only pays once though. So it is in effect creating gold.
notyoueither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2003, 18:49   #6
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 08:56
Typically as you move up in levels the research goes faster.
So moving down will make it worse, not better. If you find you get the tech lead in the ancient age and hold it all the way, it will be hard to get all the ship tech before winning the game. You could go with conquest and space only so you have more time.

In C3C it seems much easier to get the tech lead early and hold it in Monarch than it was in PTW. One way to improve it is to play on a large pangea map with lots of civs. This will let them make tech trades and progress. In other maps, the lack of contacts will slow research down for the AI.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2003, 20:13   #7
The Templar
Prince

Local Time: 07:56
Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
The gpt bug benefits human or AI. Whatever the amount is, the recipient gets it twice. I think the payer only pays once though. So it is in effect creating gold.
Now if only the real US economy could do this

But seriously, the AI doesn't seem to be taking advantage of this. I'm playing on Monarch in much the same position as you (modern age techs, nearest rival working combustion), yet my rival (the Byzantines) have not only a full 3/4 of a large continent with developed cities, but also 30K in the bank. If you have 30K in the bank, its time to put your research up to 100% and do so deficit spending. And my spies say her military is **** too. Lady, buy some armies ...
The Templar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2003, 22:48   #8
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 00:56
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Just you wait until you declare war - then you'll be contending with loads of rushed Byzantine soldiers...

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
MrWhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2003, 01:06   #9
The Templar
Prince

Local Time: 07:56
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
Just you wait until you declare war - then you'll be contending with loads of rushed Byzantine soldiers...
I am currently contending with loads of rushed byzantine frigates.

Which my cruisers and battleships crush

(and I just learned that subs have stealth attack!)
The Templar is offline   Reply With Quote