Old November 20, 2003, 14:38   #1
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 08:57
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Are there any games you've bought cause you were interested in the subject matter?
IE a game youve bought NOT cause it advanced the genre, or because the gameplay was fun independently of the subject matter but CAUSE you found the subject interesting (that you wanted to make sure the game was in all other respects a decent game is compatible with a yes answer)

So like buying a Civil war game cause youre interested in the civil war, or just in military history.

Buying a sci fi game cause you like science ficiton. Or a particular sci fi work or universe (dune, Star trek, etc)

And so forth and so on.
Old November 20, 2003, 14:54   #2
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 14:57
I bought the original Civilization because I was interested in history.

At the time I didn't even know that there was such a thing as TBS or even strategy gaming. I just thought, hey cool...a game that simulates the history of mankind.

So my answer would be a definate yes.

But come to think of it, that is the only game...no wait...I bought BOTF because I like Star Trek...but on the other hand I knew it was TBS, and wouldn't have bought it otherwise...does that count?

Asmodean
Old November 20, 2003, 14:59   #3
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Asmodean
I bought the original Civilization because I was interested in history.

At the time I didn't even know that there was such a thing as TBS or even strategy gaming. I just thought, hey cool...a game that simulates the history of mankind.

So my answer would be a definate yes.

But come to think of it, that is the only game...no wait...I bought BOTF because I like Star Trek...but on the other hand I knew it was TBS, and wouldn't have bought it otherwise...does that count?

Asmodean
Yes if you bought it cause you were interested in the subject, but one of the conditions for buying it was genre or some other technical thing, that counts.

For example I'll probably buy a WW2 game in the near future, but probably not a WW2 FPS.

And Im interested in early modern history, but probably wont buy Cossacks, which ive heard has gameplay issues (quite apart from not being close to an accurate model)
Old November 20, 2003, 15:48   #4
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 09:57
Desperados. I simply love Westerns.
Old November 20, 2003, 17:57   #5
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 12:57
I bought Dune 2 because I'd just read the book. I was pleasantly surprised.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old November 20, 2003, 19:03   #6
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 13:57
I bought a few football games because im interested in football? Champ Manager, Sensible Soccer, FIFA etc.
Old November 20, 2003, 19:47   #7
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Baldur's Gate cause I'm interested in MAGICK.
Old November 20, 2003, 20:45   #8
MattH
King

I got Max Payne 2 because of the concept- a game playing as a movie. The little cut-screens just got in the way .
Old November 20, 2003, 20:49   #9
Zopperoni
Age of Nations TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

I got NHL to learn the rules of icehockey.
Old November 20, 2003, 21:51   #10
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Alot of fantasy games I get because I like fantasy. All my favorite games, though, don't really fit into my typical interests. I'm not particularily interested in the history that Europa Universalis, Victoria, and Hearts of Iron cover but they are some my favorite games none-the-less.

Do It Ourselves
Old November 20, 2003, 23:36   #11
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 06:57
I bought the sid meier civil war series because I like the civiil war

I bought the series that is titled east frond and west frot and the like because I like WW2

same as an RTS

Jon Miller
Old November 21, 2003, 00:24   #12
Marid Audran
Warlord

Local Time: 05:57
I bought Tender Loving Care because I'm interested in psychodramas.

I've bought chess/pool/poker simulators because I'm interested in those games, although I'm not exactly sure they count.
Old November 21, 2003, 03:49   #13
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

flight simulator.

One version I bought (1999) I think had like no instructions. I never could figure out how to work the damn radio

Actually I never really figured out how to land either .

But flying interest me and I wanted to be a pilot as a kid. But after playing this game, maybe it's good I was never a pilot.

but I was able to successfully crash a plane into the Hoover Dam. That is no easy feat.
Old November 21, 2003, 06:23   #14
Zopperoni
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
but I was able to successfully crash a plane into the Hoover Dam. That is no easy feat.
There should be job opportunities for you at Al-Qaeda.
Old November 21, 2003, 06:34   #15
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Its a job for life too, not many of those around these days. (And some nice afterlife perks too)

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old November 21, 2003, 08:13   #16
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Quote:
flight simulator.

One version I bought (1999) I think had like no instructions. I never could figure out how to work the damn radio

But flying interest me and I wanted to be a pilot as a kid. But after playing this game, maybe it's good I was never a pilot.

Hmmm....I wonder if the Hoover Dam could have surviced a 9/11 attack??

Asmodean
Old November 21, 2003, 12:10   #17
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
flight simulator.

I suspect alot (most?) of the people who play flight sims are wannabe pilots. Of course thats not a particularly successful genre.
Old November 22, 2003, 01:07   #18
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 22:57
I bought M1 Tank Platoon 2 because I'm interested in modern warfare (and it was only $12 )
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old November 22, 2003, 04:06   #19
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Asmodean

Hmmm....I wonder if the Hoover Dam could have surviced a 9/11 attack??

Asmodean
doubtful. Not a hit by a 777 or 767- or whatever was used in 9/11. Though the entire thing wouldn't be destroyed. I suspect it would be weakened enough to cause it to collapse from the pressure behind it.

I was flying a much smaller plane. I seriously doubt anyone could actually hit the hoover dam in real life unless they were a skilled pilot (not these 9/11 guys who only took a few lessons and had little, if any, actual flight experience)

Hitting it from the downstream side is very difficult. It pretty much requires you to fly inside the canyon. I could only do this with the stunt plane ( a very maneuverable prop plane). Hitting it from the downstream side without flying in the canyon would require you to fly slightly above the hills and try to nose dive once it comes into site. But a plane that large would not be able to maneuver quick enough.

Attacking from the lake side would be easier. But there is a smaller target to hit. Hitting the water would dissipate too much energy and probalby wouldn't do much. Hitting the very top of the dam would damage it, but maybe not enough to destroy it.

This would leave the last possibility. Starting from a high altitude and nose diving into the damn. I suppose it is possible. But I can't see anyone doing this without GPS guidance systems.

There are much easier dams to hit. And bigger ones too. but they don't have the symbolic value the Hoover Dam has. China has a few larger dams as well. But no one is interested in terrorist attacks on China
Old November 22, 2003, 09:01   #20
Jethro83
Prince

Local Time: 22:57
My main interests in general are in ancient-medieval history, mythology, fantasy and sci-fi.

Almost every game I have is one of or a combo of the above.
Old November 22, 2003, 12:33   #21
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 09:57
hey, diss, did you know that the FBI monitors all conversations through the internet?
Old November 22, 2003, 13:33   #22
Zopperoni
Emperor

That's OK, the FBI won't crash into Hoover Dam.
Old November 22, 2003, 14:00   #23
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Right, it's the CIA we have to worry about.

Do It Ourselves
Old November 22, 2003, 15:59   #24
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

If we are lucky, the NSA will be able to assassinate all the senior CIA executives before they carry out their fiendish plan.
Old November 22, 2003, 17:08   #25
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

I guess i've bought a few games like Civ etc because of the historic aspect, also Shogun Total War for an interest in the subject matter.........but would buying most of the good starwars games(thats about 4ish) because i'm a fan be the same kinda thing, or just make me a victim of advertisments ?
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.