Old February 12, 2001, 06:21   #121
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 08:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Nice little discussion

CyberChrist, there some things I donīt understand:
You think Siegetower movement in the scenario is too fast (as said, Iīm aware its not ideal), but on the other hand you suggest paradrop abilities for the Siegetowers,(range 5), so most of the players wouldnīt move the units over land, but simply jump from one city to the next. This is faster than the current MP 2 setting, except on rivers/roads, and it allows also easy attacks on close islands.

And of course we would see Siegetowers "gliding" through ocean squares, with MP 1/ 3 turns in the air. Especially from the Ai coastal cities we would see these swimming towers, so I think thiswould spoil lots of atmo
[This message has been edited by BeBro (edited February 12, 2001).]
Old February 12, 2001, 09:06   #122
Jim Winchell
Chieftain

Local Time: 06:11
Great game. A couple of questions:

If you capture all of the barbarian cities, do the barbarian fortresses disappear?

Once all of the barbarian cities are gone, do barbarians created by events disappear after one turn?

If the answer to either of these is "yes", you might want to put another barbarian city in an out of the way place as all of the barbarian cities are toast once you get siege engines.
Old February 12, 2001, 11:49   #123
CyberChrist
Warlord

Local Time: 07:11
quote:

You think Siegetower movement in the scenario is too fast (as said, Iīm aware its not ideal), but on the other hand you suggest paradrop abilities for the Siegetowers,(range 5), so most of the players wouldnīt move the units over land, but simply jump from one city to the next.
I never actually had a problem with the Siege towers getting to the places they were intended to be used fast, but rather with the fact that they moved across land at great speed and thus worked as tank(rush'n'crush) units for both attack and defence purposes.

M2 + roads = 6 squares
Paradrop 5 + M1 = 6 squares
The movement between cities would be no faster in a well organized empire than it is now.

quote:

...it allows also easy attacks on close islands.
Attacks yes, but you still need other troops to actually take the city (unless you finish of with a paradroppping Siege Tower =/)
And even so then it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume the nearby city supplying some fishing ships to make the short transfer (hmm, come to think of it then that is complete BS - but I couldn't think of anything better - )

quote:

And of course we would see Siegetowers "gliding" through ocean squares, with MP 1/ 3 turns in the air.
With move 1/3, trireme disability and all ships capable of destroying them fast only foolish players would do that.
Oh yeah, and even so then they are just..uhm..being transported on local fishing ships (ok this is really weak, lol)

quote:

Especially from the Ai coastal cities we would see these swimming towers
What the AI actually do or do not do remains to be seen by tests. Whether the AI can be forced to 'behave' is of course what makes this idea either stand or fall.

[This message has been edited by CyberChrist (edited February 12, 2001).]
Old February 13, 2001, 00:06   #124
CyberChrist
Warlord

Local Time: 07:11
I do understand BeBro and as I said in a previous post then I am not really pushing the idea for your scenario. I just can't help myself when someone asks me a question about my ideas - I am compelled to answer .
Old February 13, 2001, 01:32   #125
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 08:11
quote:

If you capture all of the barbarian cities, do the barbarian fortresses disappear?

Once all of the barbarian cities are gone, do barbarians created by events disappear after one turn?

Jim, I tested it but it seems that they still work fine, even after you comquer all their cities (havenīt looked on all types of Bars units, but Cimbri, Suebi and others were ok).

CyberChrist, please donīt take that personal, but this discussion becomes a bit boring for me. We can continue this for weeks without a solution, because every position, yours and mine, has several pros and cons. If you donīt like the MP 2, simply change them for your personal use, but I will definately not make the siegetowers air units in the next version(s). I hope you understand my position...