Old November 22, 2003, 07:03   #1
Sim
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:04
Local Date: November 2, 2010
SCENARIO: "Age of Imperialism - 1903 AD" for C3C
There it finally is, the historical scenario I have worked on all the days since C3C was released:

Age of Imperialism 1903 AD

NEW: Version 2.0 here

http://apolyton.net/upload/files/Sim...m1903_V2_0.zip

Like the name says, it's about the imperialism in the beginning of the 20th century. Almost the entire planet has been conquered by the nationalistic imperial powers, which are already heading directly into a world war.

You can play the imperial powers of the British Empire, France, Russia, Germany, the USA, Italy, Spain/Portugal, Japan or the Netherlands/Belgium.

Or you play the more spectating than acting nations like Brazil, Argentinia/Chile, Central Americans (Mexico, Columbia, etc), Scandinavia/Balkans (Sweden, Norwegen, Austro-Hungary, etc).

When you want a real challenge, then play one of the old nations which have not (entirely) become victim of the imperial powers yet: China, the Ottomans or the Uncolonized (Persia, Abessinia, Tibet).

The victory conditions diplomacy and culture are disabled, but besides that, the
original C3C game rules are not changed. The scenario has no time limit and no technologies
were disabled. There are no new units, improvements, etc. Corruption is set to 40% at
the easiest difficulty level, and increases by 10% with every next level.

This is actually my 2nd attempt already to create that scenario ... the first was not succesful, because I tried to make that scenario on a 362x362 world map with 24 civs, which of course was impossible to load within a time period that could anyhow be considered as acceptable.

So that one is the 2nd try, on a 260x160 world map with 18 civs.
It does still take quite a time to initialize the scenario (about 10 minutes on my 1,4GHz/512 MB RAM), but playing the game is acceptably fast when it has once been loaded (I've never waited more than 2 minutes for a turn, and that was an extreme when almost all civs were at war with each other).

So I wish you much fun with it!

--------------------

Modifications in Version 1.1:

- Technological advances take much longer now to be researched.
- There are more turns per year now (four until the end of 1918, then six/year).

That has been changed in order to put more emphasis on the actual "age of imperialism", instead
of leaving it too soon by developing modern advances, and in order to fix the inaccurately rapidly
progressing technology in the game in general.

- Favorite and shunned governments of some civs have been modified (the Netherlands and France's
shunned government is Fascism now, f.e.).

--------------------

Modifications in Version 2.0:

- Two of the civs which had previously been bunched up with other civs are seperate now: "Scandinavia"
and "Venezuela/Columbia/Peru".

- The colours of some civs have been changed (the Ottomans f.e., in order to distinguish them better
from the British)

- The spelling of several cities has been corrected to standard English names

Last edited by Sim; December 22, 2003 at 04:30.
Sim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2003, 13:29   #2
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 15:04
I've just downloaded your mod and I'll try it out today or tomorrow.
Grüße aus Graz
Old November 24, 2003, 13:38   #3
Sim
Chieftain

I've based it on your world map. It's just what I've waited for all the time: Europe is a little larger than it really is, compared to the other continents. That's really congenially suited for my scenario.

Great work!

Grüße aus Berlin
Old November 24, 2003, 15:01   #4
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 15:04
Quote:
Originally posted by Sim
I've based it on your world map. It's just what I've waited for all the time: Europe is a little larger than it really is, compared to the other continents. That's really congenially suited for my scenario.

Great work!

Grüße aus Berlin

Wow, my map is really being used.
Old November 27, 2003, 10:04   #5
justjake73
Prince

Local Time: 08:04
I waited more than five minutes for the scenario to launch, and it was still waiting. Am I too impatient?
and in the darkness bind them.
justjake73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2003, 13:04   #6
John Cholewa
Settler

> I waited more than five minutes for the scenario to launch,
> and it was still waiting. Am I too impatient?

Hah! If a 1.4GHz Thunderbird/Athlon (I'm guessing on the microarchitecture here) takes ten minutes to launch, then there probably isn't a chip out there today that could launch the scenario in five minutes, unless the program is really, *really* memory bandwidth constrained.

I tried waiting an hour on this 800MHz Duron, then gave up and went to sleep. I re-tried it again about twenty minutes ago, and I'm going to leave it going while I shower and brunch, et al. My only concern is that I'm running the game in a 1024x768 window at a 1600x1200 resolution, 24-bit colour. I worry that this might mess up the loading for some reason. ^_^

Incidentally, whatever happened to the MonsterMan M3 mod? I've had insane amounts of fun with it over the past year or two, and I'm even a tad disappointed that C3C doesn't have all the features that that mod did.

--
-JC
John Cholewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2003, 13:12   #7
John Cholewa
Settler

Oooh, oooh! I just had one of those crazy ADD electric brain things....

Is it possible that anybody with a fast computer could, for each civilization in the game, launch the scenario and distribute the save files for each civ's first move? Or does it also take O(e^n) minutes to launch the saved files, too? :/

--
-JC
Old November 27, 2003, 14:05   #8
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 09:04
Well I what is a fast comp? I tried it on my 3.06 GH with 1 GB mem and killed it after about 5 mins. It had finished the config bar and put up the hour glass, but the screen was still black.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2003, 14:21   #9
John Cholewa
Settler

Heh, heh, heh. Mine took between sixty and ninety minutes.

http://chiptechmro.com/~jc/civ/C3C-A...ritish-s01.SAV

Try downloading that save file to your Civ III Conquests directory and loading it in C3C. Maybe it'll take less time. It's the British in the first year of the scenario.

For what it's worth, performance is typically not directly scalable with cpu frequency. So if you have a cpu that runs at twice the clock, then you will still not get the thing loaded in half the time. Since the original poster took 10 minutes at 1.4GHz, it is not a guarantee that a cpu in the 2.8-3.2GHz range will be able to do it in 5 minutes, though it is reasonable to guess that you can do it in less than 10.

--
-JC
Old November 27, 2003, 15:44   #10
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 09:04
Ok, it was only a few more minutes, so it was less than 10 minutes.

I was going to post it, but it is at demigod, so I am not sure if that is universally desired.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2003, 03:22   #11
Sim
Chieftain

Quote:
I waited more than five minutes for the scenario to launch, and it was still waiting. Am I too impatient?
I fear yes ...

As I've said ... it takes good 10 minutes on my 1.4 GHz/512 MB RAM.

At least playing the game is faster: Once it was loaded, the time between the turns was generally about 20 seconds, 3 minutes at an absolute maximum when almost all civs were at war with each other.

Why on earth must Civ3 just be so incredibly slow?!
Old November 28, 2003, 03:28   #12
Sim
Chieftain

Quote:
Hah! If a 1.4GHz Thunderbird/Athlon (I'm guessing on the microarchitecture here) takes ten minutes to launch, ...
Good guess!

Quote:
I tried waiting an hour on this 800MHz Duron, then gave up and went to sleep. I re-tried it again about twenty minutes ago, and I'm going to leave it going while I shower and brunch, et al. My only concern is that I'm running the game in a 1024x768 window at a 1600x1200 resolution, 24-bit colour. I worry that this might mess up the loading for some reason. ^_^
I wish you good luck ... I hope the scenario will actually be playable on your computer.

Last edited by Sim; November 28, 2003 at 03:46.
Old November 28, 2003, 03:41   #13
Sim
Chieftain

Quote:
Is it possible that anybody with a fast computer could, for each civilization in the game, launch the scenario and distribute the save files for each civ's first move? Or does it also take O(e^n) minutes to launch the saved files, too? :/
That's possible, loading the savegames is really much faster than initializing the scenario.

Here are some saves, collected in a zip:

Imperialism1903-Savegames

It contains savegames started with
- British Empire
- France
- Russia
- Germany
- USA
- Japan
- Netherlands/Belgium
- Italy

Good luck!

Last edited by Sim; November 28, 2003 at 03:51.
Old December 2, 2003, 20:49   #14
Sim
Chieftain

Here is Version 1.1 of the scenario now:

Age of Imperialism 1903 AD - Version 1.1

There are more turns per year now (four/year until the end of 1918, then six/year), and technological advances now take longer to be researched.
This has been changed in order to put more emphasis on the actual "Age of Imperialism", instead of reaching the modern times too soon.

The favorite/shunned governments for some civs have been modified as well.
Old December 3, 2003, 15:29   #15
MoonWolf
Prince

Local Time: 14:04
Just downloaded it and I was looking at the map in the editor first. This looks good and I'm sure I'll enjoy it! But I think some oil should be added to Norway and maybe England. After all we do produce a lots of oil (and gas) up here! Don't know where in Germany you're from, but the gas you're using in your kitchen might be Norwegian
MoonWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2003, 14:49   #16
Sim
Chieftain

Hey you're right. I'm living in Berlin, and although I'm not using gas in the kitchen, I see your point.

I'll correct that in the next version.
Old December 5, 2003, 17:02   #17
MoonWolf
Prince

Local Time: 14:04
Danke! I suggest you place it below Bergen where the game currently is and place the game in the square northeast of it. (BTW, if you look at a real map, you'll see that Trondheim is where Bergen is and Tromsø (ø=ö) is where Trondheim is )

I'm playing your scenario, as the Germans actually! It's really great! First the world was a peaceful place and some MPP's were written. Then someone started a war and all the MPP's have made the world into a full scale war place with alliances changing all the time and me getting control of France and England in Europe and soon Ireland Takes some time with all these wars but as soon as I get Panzers I'll be able to control many of the wars
Old December 22, 2003, 04:34   #18
Sim
Chieftain

I've just added the new version 2.0 of the scenario above.

I've taken your suggestions into account:
The city names have been corrected and some resources have been added.

Most important is that there are two additional civs to play now: Scandinavia and the Balkans have been separated, as well as Venezuela/Columbia/Peru from the Central Americans.

Some civ's colours have been changed as well.

I wish you much fun with the new version!
Old August 16, 2004, 12:34   #19
juris
Settler

I can open files with extension .bic, but when I change .biq to .bic, I receive a message "corrupt file". Can anyone tell, what's the problem? I've Civ 3.

Regards,
Juris.
juris is offline   Reply With Quote