Old January 13, 2004, 11:16   #61
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 13:06
Local Date: November 2, 2010
We won't be able to build it IMHO. It will be taken first. Drones and Hive can build quicker, and the CBA is far more valuble. We need better troops if we are to beat Hive/Drones.

As PUT about leapfrogging to MMI, and go for CBA. I propose starting the PEG in a base, and mass crawlering. Try to trade for money, or take out loans, and mass crawler-upgrade. Then build CBA. Go for CDF or CF if we can, but CBA should be the priority. And we could trade weapons techs with PUT now, or do as Imp suggests and once the war is over give them a missile plasma cruiser to engineer

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old January 13, 2004, 17:53   #62
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 15:06
Quote:
Maniac: The Hive have propsed (or rather Enigma has) a Doc Loyal and Eco Eng for Adapt Econ and the PEG trade. If buster wants Adapt Econ, then do both trades on the same turn. We then give one tech and one SP to he Hive/Drones, and get 3 in return...
If we can't build the PEG, I agree. Though we should try to keep the Hive to their proposal of giving EcoEng & EnvEcon.
And should we accept Doc:Loy in a deal? IIRC Impaler wanted that as it led to Intellectual Integrity. But now we know that the Hive intends to go for Planetary Economics which means researching IntInt. Shouldn't we wait a little then and ask to trade IntInt, and forget about Doc:Loy for now? I assume we won't use Police State this game, so - if we'd manage to build the CDF - we wouldn't need DocLoy at all and could keep our tech costs a bit lower.

I agree we should start asking PUT about leapfrogging to MMI. The problem is Archaic nor GT has been responding to my latest PMs. I guess it's because of his busted knee, and hope not because he is not interested in cooperation.
Old January 14, 2004, 07:13   #63
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

PEACE relations end in a war, with the Hive we haven't traded anything yet despite lots of talk, PUT doesn't respond to my PMs, now buster doesn't even send us a simple message he's not interested in a trade before playing the turn...

Is there something wrong with CyCon diplomacy or do all other factions have an attitude problem?
Old January 14, 2004, 07:51   #64
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

PEACE had an attitude problem.
The Hive have had upheaval and have traded lots of information, but have no need of the techs we have (at the time), so it's not diplo failure, it's product failure.
PUT are inactive because of Archaic's accident.
Buster has a way with words (he doesn't like using them) and so is very lax with PMs. He doesn't seem to say much when he does respond either. We also have nothing they want.

CyCon dip is good, our tradable goods are lacking, and some factions are inactive.

Old January 14, 2004, 10:48   #65
Impaler[WrG]
Civilization IV CreatorsACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 MorganPolyCast Team
King

Local Time: 06:06
I propose we offer to trade Adaptive Econ for SFF with the Drones. If we are going to be trading it with the Hive we might as well tec whore ourselves ALL over the place and get as much as we can for it. Then they can fight over the Secret Project and possibly become bitter over it. If we can jump to MMI with Uni then the loss of PEG would be worth it.

Also becasue no one else has Progenitor Pych it is completly reasonable to expect we could get the PEG if we didn't trade. Only if somone made an independent deal with PEACE would we be in danger of lossing it and everyone out their should know this, we should get as much as we can for Adaptive Econ.
Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche
Old January 14, 2004, 11:29   #66
Drogue
staff

I agree with Impaler completely Offer it to the Drones, Adapt Econ for SFF, and ask if they would prefer another tech. Meanwhile try and get the Hive to accept Adapt Econ and PEG for Eco Eng and Env Econ. And try to make sure no-one can steal/trade it with us or PEACE.

Old January 16, 2004, 09:57   #67
Drogue
staff

Has this been offered? Adapt Econ for any tech (preferably SFF). If not, can it be offered?

Thanks

Old January 16, 2004, 10:17   #68
Maniac

Would we still have the opportunity to build the PEG if we offered AdapEcon now?
Old January 16, 2004, 10:33   #69
Drogue
staff

No. But what's worth more, the PEG, or 3 techs? IMHO the three techs by far.

Old January 16, 2004, 14:56   #70
Impaler[WrG]
Civilization IV CreatorsACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 MorganPolyCast Team
King

If the Drones are preparing then they could build practicaly any project the moment they have the tec for it.

Idealy I would like to get PEG for us ofcorse so the idea of trading SFF for Adaptive Econ with the Drones is only very usefull in my opinion if we trade it to BOTH the Drones and the Hive thus getting 2 tecs out of the deal rather then just 1. I consider the Project to be worth a whole tec in of itself (the energy production would in the long run alow us that much faster research anyways).

If we can trade with the Drones in such a way that they cant get the PEG then I would be all for that. If we accept a trade with them in the same year that we throw crawlers at the Project then we will get the project on the following turn because we are before them in turn order even if they also manage to build it on that first turn they have access too it, they will be stuck will an unfinishable project.
Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche
Old January 30, 2004, 19:40   #71
Maniac

Okay, an informative slip from buster.

I sent this:
Quote:
Greetings Foremen buster and jtsisyoda,

I have a question for the Drones. If former PEACE members asked to join the Drones after their faction is destroyed, would you accept them in your faction?

I hope to hear from you soon!

Mani Alpha-3
External Affairs Function of the Cybernetic Consciousness
He replied like this, apparently thinking I was a pirate:
Quote:
buster wrote on 30-01-2004 23:58:
sure - besides which I would like to send you a bunch of data (we now have cycon map & could give you info on all their bases) - if you give me an e-.mail addy I will send it.

Further we are interested in adaptive econ & progen psych. We have DAP too but as Cycon is tearing you apart I cannot give it to you before they have it (guess it will be about three turns).

We can offer you SFF already now though - would a SFF for adaptive econ trade be in your interest?

As soon as Cycon gets DAP we will then do a DAP for progen psych trade.

And just to make sure it is clear you (and other peace members) will be welcome regardless of your position on the trades. I just wanted to bring up the subject now when we were in comm anyway.

regards
buster
Should I send back something like that?
Quote:
Hi buster,

Great to hear we can find sanctuary with the Drones! As it indeed seems likely we won't last much longer it is very much appreciated.
As for the data, you can send it to peter_steenbeke@hotmail.com - it will certainly help us in resisting against the CyCon for a while longer.
And regarding DAP/SFF, I'll have to check with the other Captains before I can give an official promise, but I'm sure it will be accepted.

Greetings,

Maniac
If he already realized his mistake, I guess this won't make a difference anyway - we both know where we stand diplomatically. But if he keeps being deluded, I could prevent PEACE from getting that data.
Old January 30, 2004, 19:46   #72
GeoModder
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG The Goonies
Deity

No, wouldn't put in words like that. Perhaps you can try by using less specific sentences.

'Great to hear.... Drones' is ok
'As for ... hotmail.com' also ok

But the rest is purposely misleading, and that just won't do diplomatically.

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
Old January 30, 2004, 19:49   #73
Maniac

Quote:
that just won't do diplomatically.
Well, if he realized his mistake, our diplomatic situation is screwed anyway. Does it matter much what we send to the Drones from now on?
Old January 30, 2004, 22:37   #74
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Quote:
I hope to hear from you soon!

Mani Alpha-3
External Affairs Function of the Cybernetic Consciousness
Apparently all that work and no play reduces Drones' attention span - He didn't read to the end of Maniac's messsage

G. (chuckling)
Old January 31, 2004, 11:35   #75
Impaler[WrG]
King

My GOOOD!! What a Fooopaaa!

Well atleast we know that they havent started trading with Pirates for Adaptive Econ yet and arn't likly to steal the PEG.

I think the short simple message is better and less likly to arrouse suspicions.

On the other hand including something like "what are our chances for Vengence on the Cycons? Will the Hive assist you?" Could potentialy give great insights on the Hive/Drone relationship.
Old January 31, 2004, 13:58   #76
Illuminatus
staff
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization IV CreatorsACDG3 CMNsACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4WDG Team ApolytonAge of Nations TeamACDG3 Gaians
Provost

And Hive-Drones are beating us?

He must have realised, but we must send a reply as soon as possible - (nothing to lose). And we have to try to probe them about their relationship with Hive, could be useful as CC-PUT unification is nearing.
Old January 31, 2004, 20:43   #77
Maniac

I can't believe this. Would buster really be falling for this???

Here are his mails:

cycon map 2154

Here comes a bunch of data

regards
buster

From that we can deduce the Drones have probed PUT at least three times this turn: Neural Grafting, SotHB, and last stealing the PUT map. It also gives us some nice details about Drone credit production and map.

Next follow-up mail of buster, information about us. Posting for the record, but just skip it, as we already know it all.

FYI - in case I forgot to mention - we got the cycon map from probing uni which is interesting in its own right.
It should be noted the data are from our turn - Cycon will have had a turn before it gets your turn - so you need to take that into account.

Cyborg data:

researching air power - estimated completion 14 turns (however as widespread cooperation with uni is obvious in reality they will probably get it in three).

Of techs you dont posses they have:

biogen
HEC
Synth Fossil Fuel
Secrets of human brain

Further uni has: (meaning Cycon could trade / request them)

Neural grafting
Env. econ
Eco engineering

Energy reserves:

Net income:
52 / year

Units:

Formers 12 - 2 in production
Scouts 9
Supply crawler 5 (7 in production)
Unity rover 1
battle ogre mk1 1
impact marines (4-1-1 marine special) 4
CCS Loveboat (4-3-6) 1
Probe defence (probe on infantry chassis) 3
Supply Mk9 (supply crawler with 3t armor) 3 (seems they are making a dash for PEG)
Impact cruiser (4-1-6) 3
Amfib impact speeder (4-1-2 marine) 1
CCS Mammoth (cruiser transport 3 armor) 1
plasma garisson (1-3-1) 3
Probe skimship (foil probe) 1
CCS impaler (cruiser transport 1 armor) 1
Boy scout (1-1-1 marine) 2
Trance scout (1-1-1 trance) 0 (3 in production)

As is visible they are PT producing crawlers - formers & trancescouts (garissons for conquered cities)

City production & turns to complete:

Apolyton prime - crawler 4
Triplex - rec common 1
Megabyteville - rec common 11
pi square - crawler 1
logic loop - crawler 1
liars lair - trance scout 2
thermal tassagrad - trance scout 2
boolean bay - crawler 5
aurora - crawler 3
athena anchorage - rec commomns 5
dbtsverse portal - former 3
zetaris - crawler 1
mythical matrix - rec common 28
binary bastion - crawler 9
casablanca - trance scout 2
and/or gate - former 3

Garissons:
Athena anchorage - CCS love boat - 50% damage + Marine scout
triplex - scout + 2 defensive probes
Megabyteville - marine scout
Binar bastion - scout
boolean bay - plasma garisson
Aurora - scout
Logic loop - ogre
Apolyton prime - scout
Mythical matrix - scout
And or gate - scout
Zetaris - scout
Pi square - scout
DBTS - reverse portal - scout

Unaccounted for (Probably coming your way)
1 scout
1 unity rover
4 impact marines
1 probe defender
3 impact cruisers
1 amphibious impact speeder
2 plasma garissons
1 probe skimship
2 cruiser transports - one of them armor class 3
1 marine scout

regards
buster

Odd though that he doesn't post the garrisons of the bases that are unexplored by him. It's as if he doesn't know he can check F4.

Anyway, I replied like this, following Impaler's suggestion. (The layout got a bit screwed up by hotmail - sorry.

Wow - thanks for all that information!! :-)
> Though it also makes me sad. :-( They have a decent number of ships and offensive marines in our vicinity so it seems, so even if we get Synthetic > Fossil Fuels from you soon, we probably still won't survive very long. Our > vengeance would have to be realized by another faction, hopefully with us as
> members of it. ;-) Therefore I'm wondering, will you in the future attack > the CyCon? And what would the Hive do? They are the allies of both of us, > but also of the Consciousness we know, so we don't know their position > clearly. :-(

He replied:

I understand if it seems a bit hopeless - the cycon apparently also
considers it pretty much a done thing as their production shows.

We have a pretty firm alliance with Hive and there can only be so many winners. Geographically though Cycon are not in our immediate reach so an invasion is not at this point a realistic option.

As I see it - it is only a matter of time. How long we will see. I would think it may be rather soon but it depends how things develop.

regards
buster

Not a really informative answer unfortunately. Btw, what else can I ask or reply before he realizes his mistake??

To the Gods: this is legal right? AFAIK it can be perfectly explained by eg infiltrating the PEACE networks and contacting the drones imposing as PEACE representatives, and imitating PEACE protocols etc.
Old January 31, 2004, 23:25   #78
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

If your original message had purported to be from PEACE, I'd have considered it shady, to say the least - but you were open, and the mistake was Buster's, so capitalizing on it was, IMHO, permissable

Generally speaking I could condone any in-game duplicity. using the terranx in-game mechanics, but I do get irked when players try to exploit the 'Poly protocols (like Kody trying to infiltrate the other private forums, although I don't think he succeeded - all he managed to do was go into and out of the Hive, much as I was able to with CyCon as Rynn)

Tass - what's your take on this?

G.
Old January 31, 2004, 23:54   #79
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by Googlie

Tass - what's your take on this?

G.
Whats my take?

On the legality side of it, I see nothing barring it from happening.
The Drones are the ones giving out the information. While it is a bit unethical for CyCon to be exploiting the Drones....moment of confusiong there are no rules against it.
Plus, Maniac did sign it to his name, correct?
(If YES: See? )
(If NO: Googlie, let's talk on MSN.)
Old February 1, 2004, 00:36   #80
GeoModder
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG The Goonies
Deity

So, as long as Maniac subscribes with at least 'Maniac' in his messages to Buster, it's ok to follow up this line of questioning?

Or is that not necessary anymore?

Btw, way to go Maniac
Old February 1, 2004, 01:05   #81
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Personally, I would think that it isn't even required. Just as long as he isn't signing it as someone else, it'll be fine.
Old February 1, 2004, 08:19   #82
Maniac

Glad to hear it isn't forbidden.

Btw, what else can I ask?? Information about us we know ourselves, questions about drone internal affairs would look odd as this is not the subject, and unless someone can come up with a non-suspicious message, it would look odd as well if we further asked about Drone-Hive relationship or Drone->CC-PUT attack plans while he already answered the question vaguely.
The best I can come up with is telling them thay we'll offer AdapEcon in our turn, but if the truth then comes out after the drone turn, it would only delay things for one turn.

Edit: Btw, another thing this affair shows is that the Drones are indeed run by buster alone, without much or without any input from all the other drone members. How else could it be explained that buster is falling for this? After all I assume that, if they knew about these mails, that some other drones who I also sent PMs to (eg jtsisyoda) or who were active in the previous ACDG (eg Main_Brain) would know that I'm no pirate.

Last edited by Maniac; February 1, 2004 at 08:31.
Old February 1, 2004, 09:38   #83
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 00:06
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Superb work, capitalizing on that!
Old February 1, 2004, 11:43   #84
GeoModder
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Maniac
Glad to hear it isn't forbidden.

Btw, what else can I ask??
I sended a PM to Maniac already, but for the forum:

Let's try to find out how far the Drones want to go.
Ask them if they are willing to offer sanctuary (a base) near Drone territory, and what price they would ask for that. Answer will probably be Adap Econ, but asking can't harm. Just not tell explicit what we (as PEACE) have to offer or willing to offer. That keeps a line open for future messages.

Quote:
Edit: Btw, another thing this affair shows is that the Drones are indeed run by buster alone, without much or without any input from all the other drone members.
A thought, keep in mind that it can be a trick from Buster as well. Can't think of a reason what profit he would gain be that, but needs to be said.
Old February 1, 2004, 19:20   #85
Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by GeoModder
Let's try to find out how far the Drones want to go.
Ask them if they are willing to offer sanctuary (a base) near Drone territory, and what price they would ask for that. Answer will probably be Adap Econ, but asking can't harm. Just not tell explicit what we (as PEACE) have to offer or willing to offer. That keeps a line open for future messages.
Won't that be odd, as in direct contradiction with my supposed previous request if we could join the Drones after our destruction?

Quote:
A thought, keep in mind that it can be a trick from Buster as well. Can't think of a reason what profit he would gain be that, but needs to be said.
I've considered that as well. For example him saying what we want to hear, thereby deluding us: saying that an invasion of CyCon is not realistic. Though on the other side, he would be going really far if he gave his enemies a screenshot with his mini-map and credit production info on it.
Old February 1, 2004, 19:39   #86
GeoModder
Deity

Quote:

Won't that be odd, as in direct contradiction with my supposed previous request if we could join the Drones after our destruction?
Say something like that some other captains would prefer to stay PEACE if possible, with the benefit of having sea minerals and free naval yards. Just infaction argues.
Old February 1, 2004, 19:54   #87
Maniac

Sounds good. Send this mail then?:

Hi buster,

>Geographically though Cycon are not in our immediate reach so an invasion is
>not at this point a realistic option.

A pity, but we have patience. :-) Btw, due to our PUT pact infiltration information I noticed that you have a needlejet hanging over Gold Coast, a base of PUT, the ally of CyCon. Hasn't the "world war" for revenge already started then yet?? :-)

Anyway, regarding our possible destruction and moving to another faction, some captains would prefer to remain as PEACE if possible, due to the advantage of naval yards, aquatic minerals etc. So we were wondering, if we could get a unit near your territory, would you be willing to cede a base to us to act as a safe haven? We would of course be willing to richly replay you for this, and the CyCon info you provided. :-) And having an ally with aquatic ability etc could also prove useful for you.

Read you later,

Peter (so not to mention my nick Maniac and possibly start him thinking)
Old February 2, 2004, 03:34   #88
GeoModder
Deity

Quote:
Sounds good. Send this mail then?:

Hi buster,

>Geographically though Cycon are not in our immediate reach so an invasion is
>not at this point a realistic option.

A pity, but we have patience. :-) Btw, due to our PUT pact infiltration information I noticed that you have a needlejet hanging over Gold Coast, a base of PUT, the ally of CyCon. Hasn't the "world war" for revenge already started then yet?? :-)

Anyway, regarding our possible destruction and moving to another faction, some of my fellow faction members would prefer to remain as our current faction if possible. So we were wondering, if PEACE could get a unit near your territory, would you be willing to cede a base to us to act as a safe haven? We would of course be willing to richly replay you for this, and the CyCon info you provided. :-) And having an ally with aquatic ability, naval yards etc could also prove useful for you.

Read you later,

Made some changes. As it is now, you're not outright lying about being a PEACE member. It is something a CyCon member can ask with a straight face.
I'll put it in words like that just in case of the Powers That Be. Not completely convinced that they won't put a line under it suddenly if it gets too outrageous

And do you mean 'replay' or 'repay'?
Old February 2, 2004, 04:56   #89
Nubclear

Quote:

Hmm....This is kind of bordering.....
Old February 2, 2004, 05:56   #90
Illuminatus
staff
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization IV CreatorsACDG3 CMNsACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4WDG Team ApolytonAge of Nations TeamACDG3 Gaians
Provost

He meant repay.

If it is bordering the why not leave out signature?