Old February 21, 2001, 05:28   #1
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 07:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Philisophy Effect!?!
I was going to use a philosphy in the same way as captain nemo in his redfront and second front scenarios. On the first turn I use an event to give the swedish (who are the invadors of Poland) anyway this tech haven't been aquiered by any other nations, what hapens is this: The effect of the tech is working (they get a free tech) but the message (which I ofcurse have customized) isn't shown (!) which was the main reason I had to use this.
Does anyone know what may cause this?
Old February 21, 2001, 06:27   #2
kobayashi
Prince

Local Time: 14:11
I do not know the answer to your question

BUT

You can simply edit the king and make the sweedes research philosophy and edit the research progress to almost the end. This will have the same effect but doesn't require an event.
Old February 21, 2001, 09:44   #3
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

I tried that, whit the same effect.
Old February 21, 2001, 10:21   #4
PolarisGL
King

Local Time: 06:11
Henrick, you might have to take out the original message that pops up from the game file it is in (game.txt? not sure). Then it might work.
Old February 21, 2001, 10:54   #5
Henrik
Emperor

I changed the text in game.txt!
The problem is: No message at all is shown (but they still get the free tech)!
Old February 21, 2001, 10:58   #6
kobayashi
Prince

Presumably you didn't edit away the

@GOLDENAGE

by accident?

If not then this must be one of lifes inponderables.
Old February 21, 2001, 11:10   #7
PolarisGL
King

Henrick, even when you used the events file?

Research Philosophy, gain tech, pop-up message.
Old February 21, 2001, 11:13   #8
Henrik
Emperor

This is what it looks like:

@GOLDENAGE
@width=1000
@title=Invasion of the comonwealth.
10 July:
The Polish Parlament decides to start prepering for a Swedish invasion, the proclamtion is obeyed very slowly, the treath isn't takien seriously by the polish nobles and King Jan Kazimierz himself said:
"The Swede isn't as dangerous as the cowards try to make him seem".
Nobody expects a swedish invasion untill atleast a year in the future.
The recriuting of soldiers didn't begin untill the begining of June and at the 11 June the polish nobles are called to arms (the "call to arms" was hardly more than an invitation to help, the weak polish state couldn't tell the nobles what to do).
If someone that day would visit the little villige of Falkenberg in west Preussia, he would hear the sounds from trumpets and the rattling and creaking from thousands of wheels.
Should he dare to travel closer, a peculiar and frightening sight: A long, long winding row comming out of a nearby forest, a row of seemingly endless waving pikes and musket muzzles, and a large throng of flags and standards,
not to mention horses, horses and yet more horses...
And wagons: baggage carts, cannonball, armor, karett, pontoon and petard wagons, and artillery: light regiment pieces, heavy storm cannons, long necked kartovs and short necked mortars.
And people: footsoldiers, riders, servants, smiths, maids, merchants, cooks, cleaners, whores, babies sons, daughters, sisters, brothers and wives.
That was the Swedish Army crossing the Polish Border.

Notice that I have increased the "width" a lot since I thought that may be the problem (I increased to 500 right way and when it didn't work I increased gradually up to 1000).
Old February 21, 2001, 11:24   #9
William Keenan
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 01:11
I have edited the @GOLDENAGE entry and it has worked, so I know it can be done. I can think of two reasons why this might happen.[list=1] [*]The @GOLDENAGE label has changed.[*]The event happens on turn one. Strange things happen on turn one. Delay the event for a turn or two and then see if it works.[/list=a]
Old February 21, 2001, 16:44   #10
Miner
Prince

Err don't you need the one line seperate bit at the bottom, the text that appears to the right of the radio button? I can't seem to see it in your above posting, in Red Front it is this bit:

...opportunity to advance into the Northwestern Soviet held territories.
<- intentional new line!
THE WAR FOR RUSSIA HAS BEGUN <- this bit!

Am I making sense?
Old February 21, 2001, 17:21   #11
Henrik
Emperor

No thats not the problem, I tried doing it that way, I will use an event instead, I was hoping to save the space in the events file by this and the event seems to ignore all "new lines" making the text look very odd (atleast when it is as long as this one ) but now I will have to use an event instead, oh well.
Old February 21, 2001, 17:34   #12
CyberChrist
Warlord

Nothing wrong with the content of the message itself (width 1000 is far too wide though).
I can only think of 2 things atm that could cause this not to be displayed.
1. You are not granting the right tech (Philosophy)
2. The scenario have registered Philosophy as already having been invented by a nation
Old February 21, 2001, 17:43   #13
Allard HS
Prince

Local Time: 08:11
Also, make sure that the civ actually does discover the tech on the first turn. Give them the full amount of tech investment in the leader cheat menu, or even more than the full amount, that can't hurt, and then you're sure that it actually does get discovered.

It does work, normally, not only in RF, also in SF, in my own River War, and lots more.
Old February 21, 2001, 17:53   #14
Henrik
Emperor

I know that it works, they get a free tech, but the ***** text isnt shown, I have tried to let them "invent it" themselves, it doesnt make a difference.
No nation has aquiered it from the begining, but all used to have it, so that may be the problem.
The width was something that I gradually improved since I suspected that the amount of text was somewhat too large then I didn't bother to turn it back.
I havent played river war yet (but I will) but I have played both RF and SF and seen it work.
It is really strange actually.
I will use an event instead though, I have given up on the idea
[This message has been edited by Henrik (edited February 21, 2001).]
Old February 21, 2001, 21:56   #15
Kull
lifer
King

Local Time: 23:11
Local Date: October 30, 2010
That's a LOT of text. Try eliminating all except one word and see if that helps. If so, you'll have to find out (by trial and error) just how much text the messagebox will accept. Separating sentences with the ENTER key may also be an issue.

Edit: Where was my brain? The ENTER key is not going to have any effect.
[This message has been edited by Kull (edited February 22, 2001).]
Old February 21, 2001, 22:33   #16
kobayashi
Prince

I have a short version from STBAQ which I know works.

@GOLDENAGE
@width=320
@title=Golden Age of Space Travel
The Golden Age of Space Travel begins on the
%STRING0 planet of %STRING1! Great %STRING0
scientists articulate propulsion, multi-spacetime
and metaphysical theories which will expand our
knowledge of the universe for centuries to come.

From a comparison, besides the length and width,
seems the only other difference is the occurance of %STRING0 and %STRING1. Maybe, it needs to have these before the message will come out.

Old February 22, 2001, 01:23   #17
Henrik
Emperor

My first turn is technicaly turn 0, I tried delaying it to turn 1, but it still wouldnt work.

The effect is right but I don't get the text.
[This message has been edited by Henrik (edited February 21, 2001).]
Old February 22, 2001, 16:34   #18
Miner
Prince

quote:

Originally posted by Henrik on 02-21-2001 04:53 PM
No nation has aquiered it from the begining, but all used to have it, so that may be the problem.

That is probably it.

Old February 23, 2001, 00:51   #19
Captain Nemo
Prince

I am not completely sure of this, but I seem to remember that it requires you to also have the other tech (Whatever the other one is that, along with Phi, cause the people to upgrade from Medieval style to Renaissance), when you discover Philosophy... If you don't have it I don't think you get the text or the upgraded people.gif.
It could also be an issue of whether it's a human or AI discovery... I always let the AI discover Phi in my scenarios.
Old February 23, 2001, 03:48   #20
Henrik
Emperor

The other tech?
The invention slot? Everyone has a tech replacing invention (although I am thinking of taking it away from the polish and russians , making thier citizens look more east-european).
Should I remove invention (only renecianse tech I know of), in a normal game you would get philosophy before invention, so that may be it.
Oh and it wont help to delete lots of text, I reduced it to one sentence to try it out earlier, but the message still wouldn't show up.
[This message has been edited by Henrik (edited February 23, 2001).]
Old February 24, 2001, 18:23   #21
Captain Nemo
Prince

I would try first to give it, by event, to an AI Civ on turn 2 and see if you get the text.
In Second Front I gave it by event to the German AI who already had Invention (#38)on turn #2 and it worked.
Are you sure you are using Phi (#60) , not Phy (#61)? Did either civ receive Phi during the setup phase of the scenario? I don't know if the flag saying someone has already discovered Phi can be removed when you edit away the tech in cheat mode.
That's all I can think of.
Old February 25, 2001, 06:14   #22
Henrik
Emperor

It doesn't help to give it on turn 2, I tried that whit the same effect (free tech but no text).
I am using Phi not Phy.
Yes all nations has had phi during the earlier stages of the scenario.
And all nations have invention (well a renamed version of it annyway, still whit the abrevation inv, of course)
Old February 25, 2001, 11:40   #23
Allard HS
Prince

To see if the problem is that some civs used to have Philosophy before, I think you'll need to start a new game, do the same things with the techs as the other game, save it and load it as a scenario.

If that is the problem, it means that the original file can be hex-edit to remove the "philosophy-discovered" flag. This you can do by, in the new game, saving just before the civ recieves Phi, then adding Phi, removing it again, and saving, then comparing both files in a hex editor. All quite easy.
Old February 25, 2001, 14:54   #24
Kull
lifer
King

Local Time: 23:11
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Allard: I would describe that as "possible", not "easy"!
Old February 25, 2001, 16:12   #25
Allard HS
Prince

Oh no it's really quite easy, took me just 5 minutes to try.

However, my beautiful theory does unfortunately not work, as it seems that the message pops up again if it discovered. Wether or not it was discovered earlier, but "lost" does not seem to matter.

So that's one possible solution out of the world
Old February 25, 2001, 16:25   #26
Henrik
Emperor

quote:

Originally posted by kobayashi on 02-21-2001 09:33 PM
I have a short version from STBAQ which I know works.

@GOLDENAGE
@width=320
@title=Golden Age of Space Travel
The Golden Age of Space Travel begins on the
%STRING0 planet of %STRING1! Great %STRING0
scientists articulate propulsion, multi-spacetime
and metaphysical theories which will expand our
knowledge of the universe for centuries to come.

From a comparison, besides the length and width,
seems the only other difference is the occurance of %STRING0 and %STRING1. Maybe, it needs to have these before the message will come out.

That was it! I missed this one post and there was the sollution, thanks kobayashi!

Now all I need to do is figure out if the %STRING1 has to be there, and how to handle it if it does.
[This message has been edited by Henrik (edited February 25, 2001).]
Old February 25, 2001, 20:34   #27
Captain Nemo
Prince

%STRING1 and %STRING0 are not needed for the message to appear, here is the one from Second Front that also works:

@GOLDENAGE
@width=320
@title=Operation Overlord
The largest amphibious operation in history, the invasion of "Fortress Europe" has begun. The entire invasion force consists of 3,000,000 men, 2,700 transport ships, 2,500 landing crafts, 700 warships, 8,000 aircraft and over 100,000 motor vehicles and tanks.
The targets of D-Day are the capture and securing of 5 beachheads along the Normandy coast.
Additional targets are the City of Caen South of the Juno Beach and the heavily defended
naval gun batteries on La Pointe du Hoc between Vierville and Grandcamps. Your objectives are:

Utah Beach between La Madeleine and Brévands
Omaha Beach between Vierville-sur-Mer and Port-en-Bessin
Gold Beach between Port-en-Bessin and Courseulles
Juno Beach between Courseulles and Langrune
Sword Beach between Langrune and Ouistreham

Old February 26, 2001, 02:39   #28
Henrik
Emperor

It didn't work before and now it does, the only thing I have modified is that I have added the lines %STRING1 and %STRING0.