I'm so stupid; Rally points
What are they good for?
Old November 24, 2003, 14:07   #2
Aramis
Prince

Local Time: 07:10
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Convenience?
Say you're building up a large number of riflemen for a future use, but do not immediatly need them. Setting a rally point is just a convenient place to keep them all together until you want them.
Old November 24, 2003, 14:17   #3
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 06:10
Another thing they're good for is to send troops to a hot spot right away so you don't have to bother with moving them yourself. Just have them go right to your front after they're built.

Continental Rally Points are somewhat limited though. The only time they're practical is if you are no longer building Settlers and expanding. Otherwise, everything will go to that location.
Willem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2003, 15:12   #4
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 08:10
Quote:
Originally posted by Willem
Continental Rally Points are somewhat limited though. The only time they're practical is if you are no longer building Settlers and expanding. Otherwise, everything will go to that location.
that's the incredibly annoying part-I did that and not only were my knights going to the rally point, but so were the musket garrisons. Not what I had in mind. I wish there was a more advanced option, perhaps rally all offensive tagged units.
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2003, 15:18   #5
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

I tend to use them only with RRs in place. If my units don't have unlimited movement, then I generally want to control them directly, as soon as they are built. If RRs are up and they do have unlimited movement, then the rally point feature is quite helpful.

Catt
Catt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2003, 16:56   #6
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

how do you use these things again?

I could have used them on the Rise of Rome scenario. You'll be glad you have this feature. You will be moving around massive amounts of units.

I didn't know what the rally point thing was so I used the goto and move stack commands mostly.

The only problem that you might have in that scenario is that the entire map is treated as one continent (both Europe, Asia, and N. Africa are all connected).
Old November 24, 2003, 19:26   #7
Aramis
Prince

Local Time: 07:10
Only works for units just built. Right click on city, click on Set Rally Point, choose the tile. Clear rally point the same way. Catt is right--not much use until RRs.
Mostly I've used them when preparing for a major conflict that I'll start. Different cities creating the same units can have the same rally point, other cities creating a different unit can have a different rally point. This way I know where everything is and how much I've got.
Old November 24, 2003, 19:43   #8
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 15:10
Thanks Rob, now I see clearer!
Old November 24, 2003, 20:59   #9
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 01:10
Local Date: November 3, 2010
AGreed on their apparent usefulness with RRs, but not before. Especially since you are likely to be at war when sending tonnes of troops to an area, quite often borders can change in those situations, meaning you'd have to change the waypoints as time progressed, and in the meantime you'd have units stretched across the map all heading to different spots.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
MrWhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2003, 09:25   #10
Cookie Monster
King

Local Time: 08:10
I'll also agree with rally points being usefull only with RR's. Otherwise I find that I have better control moving the units myself.
Old November 25, 2003, 16:28   #11
Willem
Emperor

I use them all the time myself, though not the Continental one. I find it makes it a lot easier organizing my troops with them, saves me the hassle of doing it manually. I can just wait until I have a bit of a stack, then use the J command to send them where I want them to go.
Willem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2003, 17:04   #12
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

trust me, I would have liked to use it on the Rise of Rome scenario.

But I would have had to change it when I switched wars. Sometimes I sent all my troops to the tip of the Italian boot (to transfer them to N. Africa), other times I sent them to Northern Italy. But I only faught one war at a time, so the rally point could have been useful.